The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fantasy magician top hat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Looking for a top hat to use on an assitant for ken Scott's fantasy magician routine. Ken said he found his at a costume shop but the only one I found there was a hard unbendable one like I use for the rabbit in the hat puppet. Want one that is pliable so I can put it on the person sideways as ken does which is a great gag in itself.
Thanks.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1091 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Oh, my, I just started using a new one this week! Go to Dollar Tree.... get the collapsible hat from FANTASMA for $1.

I bought a bunch of them!!

I pull it out of the tux pocket, throw it into the air and it turns into a hat.
It is getting applause!!

and it folds up and takes no room in my case. I've done fantasy magician for about 8 years, so I'm thrilled with this discovery!!!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Tim,
Sounds perfect. Thank you! I'm going to see if I can find them on line.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
The ones at the Dollar Tree are very nice and come with their own little case. The price is right as well! These were recommended by a magician friend of mine to me for the Ken Scott fantasy magician as I do that in our upscale family show and it plays very well!
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
When I checked online it looks like this hat is part of a magic set and doesn't come separately.

Jim
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The hats from fantasma are dollar tree exclusives. Or, you get them on ebay for $7.99 Smile

Personally, I wouldn't use them. They have no support in them. I use one from their other top hat magic set to drop cards and silks into during my show. That one is spring loaded.

When I use a top hat to dress up a volunteer, I use one made by ELOPE. It is an oversized, soft, velvet-like top hat that comes with a little rabbit. I think I paid about $25 for it 4 years ago. I found it online: http://www.villagehatshop.com/magicians_rabbit_hat.html
-Matt
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Okay, so I got the Fantasma top hat and it won't work for me at least for the fantasy magician routine. REasons: 1) it's too small; just barely fits on my 6 year old son's head, 2) the hat it round and symetrical, which destroys a great gag ken does of turning the hat long ways on the assitant's head.
Can't seem to find any hats that will work. The costume hats are oblong however they are also hard and won't allow putting them on someone's head sideways without discomfort. Any other ideas/sources? Thanks.

Jim
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Those hats that I use typically take a bit to bend it and get it softer. They are hard to fit side ways but once you work it in it should work out ok.

But Jim the hats I like are becoming harder to find. Currently I am torn on doing my fantasy magician routine as I always do at the Magic castle all next week in the palace or do my new vent mask and axtell drawing board routine. I did this routine two years ago in place of the fantasy magician and it did great but I just know how the fantasy magician plays for me and it is easier to transport on airplane. But I have Axtells new programmable board and it KILLS. I start monday so we will see.

BTW just FYI I have my last two fantasy magicians avail. Will not have any again until late Sept at best.

See ya next week Jim.

Ken
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I used a collapsible magicians' top hat. More expensive, obviously but it's a great prop and guess what... it collapses.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Ken,
I loved the vent/board routine you did two years ago. But I bet the fantasy magician would also kill in the palace. Could you try both to see? Do you have a spare hat?

Thanks, Frank. How much do they cost? Can you wear them sideways?
Jim
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I have done the fantasy magician many times, as you know, at the castle. The two routines are too similar to do them in the same show.

Franks hat? My collp hat will not fit sideways.

ANd jim I am looking for more myself.

Ken
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

No, not sideways. At least I cannot. The inner hat line is quite stiff compared to most hats and not that comfortable but
I thought of it more as a prop, not a hat.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I guess I'm going to use Silly Billy's hat until I find another to use. Maybe I'll try one of the stiff ones and try to loosen it up.
Ken,
They are both great routines. Love them both.

Jim
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-11 21:19, JamesinLA wrote:
I guess I'm going to use Silly Billy's hat

A diaper?

Have you checked out hat stores, thrift shops, etc.? There might be something even better than a standard top hat.
Jester cap, bunny ears, etc.... ?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Maybe the juggler stores. They have hats that are flexiable.

Jim
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2803 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Ask the local costume shop to check the Morris catalog. It's a wholesaler that most all shops buy from.
They don't sell retail but they do carry about a million hats and they have a wide assortment of top hats.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
James
Go to http://www.dube.com/ Bryan's hats are not cheap, but they are the only hats that I have ever used.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Fantasy magician top hat (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL