The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Printing on Cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Simon Williams
View Profile
New user
Sully, South Wales
54 Posts

Profile of Simon Williams
I'm sure this may have been mentioned before, but does anyone print on their own blank stock? How do you do it? A few frinds have come up with an idea for a routine that will need some cards printed up.

So, any ideas?
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It really depends on how many you need. 3 or 4 sets is one thing, and 500 is something else altogether.

A. They can be silk screened - we did that for some commercial effects way "back in the day."

Upside? Pretty good quality if done right.
Downside? Unless you can do it, it can be costly for just a few.

B. Or they can be stamped with some of the Craft Stamps out today, and you can have stamps made to order from an illustration.

Upside? Cheap and easy
Downside? Not as "sharp" as others and probably not as durable as screened.

C. Or, you can find someone with an old small hand-fed Letter Press or business card Printer and figure out what you need to create the image; plate, or Die, etc.

Upside? Could be great quality
Downside? Probably pretty costly and hard to find a hand-fed letterpress in the hands of someone who knows how to use it, and won't want a fortune.

All in all, Some of the problems are that:
The ink, or process won't generally work real well on coated cards. It is hard to handle the card size material (real cards) in most printing devices. And you really don't want ordinary Paper stock, even card weight stuff just won't hold up like a playing card, and to do it right - you still would need to have them Die cut to round the corners.

I have done all three, and in my opinion - it would have to be a Killer commerical effect to warrant the effort. But I only say that because I know how much trouble it is to get the artwork ready, and actually get it all done.

But your mileage may vary!

Good Luck!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I know that when I print on transparency sheets with my inkjet printer, the sheets are already treated with a "fixer" that causes the ink to dry fairly quickly upon what is normally a glossy surface.

I was wondering if one might be able to find some spray-on fixer at an artists' supply store that could be applied on coated cards and then run through your inkjet printer.

Getting decks of blank cards is fairly easy.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Simon Williams
View Profile
New user
Sully, South Wales
54 Posts

Profile of Simon Williams
Thanks Bro David & Philemon (very biblical!).

In another place I saw a method using iron on t shirt transfer paper for ink jets. I did not have any success with this.
I've looked in local craft and hobby shops for silk screen kits but found none.

I have been trying to figure a way using my ink jet printer. I cut out a card sized shape in a piece of thickish card so it wouldn't foul up the heads. This had limited success.

Anyone else tried?
RangeCowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Long Beach
198 Posts

Profile of RangeCowboy
Make jumbo cards with ink jet printed backs and fronts and then have them laminated locally. Jumbo size makes for good visuals and the details can be printed with less precision and still look good.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Another thought that came to me in reflection on my previous, was the question;

Do you really need to print on the cards?

Would stickers of some sort work for your effect? I make a Packet trick that I will shortly be offering for sale that uses stickers on otherwise Blank cards.

The stickers nicely represent the visual intent very well (you can get colored stickers or Gold sticker, or even print on something - ala Philemon's comment, and stick it on the cards.)

This is especially good for low volume, and there is an additional benefit to using the stickers;) (I will share in a PM - but it is too much of a reveal to say here). But it is really simple and effective.

Anyway, unless you are committed to Printing on the card, think about professional stickers that you can get in book stores, and craft shops, or print your own and give it a go.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield Center, Connecticut
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
I wrote an article for GeMiNi that is now archived at Chazpro using the iron on tee shirt method. It does work well if you follow the directions carefully.

http://www.chazpro.com/MagiciansEnquirer/StWise/STQA.html

A couple of key points in the article are that you must rough the surface or remove the plastic coating on the playing cards. You must also use a relatively thick coat of spray coating to remove the dullness of the backing on the iron on material.

You can use this for text, line art or photographic art. The quality is up to your selection of software to print the images.

Best,
Ray
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
What kind of a routine is it?
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
If you're asking me, both were for company functions. The frog was for Frog Brand Sunscreen and the helicopters were for the 3rd Marine's Amphibious division during a military trade show. I was working the booths both times.

Best,
Ray
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
If you are looking for printing your own cards, there is rub on transfers with pips, numbers, etc available from many magic shops...I've used these to make 3 1/2 of spades, etc...
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Those rub on sheets would be the Fako Sheets. Be sure to put a coating over the rub on pips, etc., because they do wear off fast.

Best,
Ray
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
You can use wet transfer decals to make custom playing cards. I have been doing this for a few years now and have turned out some real beauties.

You must use a dry transfer color process to print on to the decal papaer (Like a color copier). An ink jet will just run.

You can get the paper and read Tom's article on making custom decals here http://www.tangopapadecals.com/. The same principles apply to playing cards.

if you decide to do it this way and need more info feel free to shoot me an email.

Also, you will ruin a few cards before you get the "knack" required to get them right. But once you do, these cards really look perfect.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
FYI
I tried running a blank Bicycle(TM), an Aviator(TM) Joker and a few no brand cards through a color laser printer. The "coated" brands did not do well at all as the printed matter looks good but flakes off very easily. Smile

The no brand cheapies got mixed but slightly better results. I even got a few I could use. Smile

IMHO This is not the best solution. I just wanted you to know it has been tried with mixed results. Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Rob,

If you use a laser printer to do the work, try acetone to wipe off the plastic coating to make the dye stick better. In fact, if you use acetone to clear off the plastic you'll find that it allows you to use any spot card since the acetone wipes off the pips at the same time.

A note of caution here is in order to remind you that any leakage of acetone to the back of the card will cause the backs to run or even wipe off, too.

Best,
Ray
CardConjurer
View Profile
Loyal user
South Florida
202 Posts

Profile of CardConjurer
I get a regular card and use steel wool to rub of the ink then I tape the card onto a piece of paper and print w/e I want on ot... Ive made so much stuff..... I use this alot Smile Smile
I like cards.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Allow me to offer another suggestion, which turns out perfect-looking printing on regular blank card stock: a silicone pad printer can transfer your image from a photo-etched plate, quickly and easily, with a crisp image. I happen to do this kind of work, however this post is not an advertisement.

You can get adequate results from cutting your artwork and using an adhesive spray. The wet-transfer and rub-on transfer ideas are good. If you get blank playing cards professionally done for your business card imprint, it can be quite expensive. It doesn't have to be. PM me for details if you have specific needs or questions.

Vic Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Ray Haddad
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Ray Haddad
Victor,

That sounds very interesting.

Can you recommend any books or instructional web sites that detail the process?

I've gone so far as to make miniature screens for some larger lots of cards. This sounds very promising.

Best,
Ray
DanMacTucson
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of DanMacTucson
Did anyone ever find out if there is a source for the rub on transfers for card pips? I had some in a box from years ago but can't find the box
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Google "Fako Sheets" and you'll find listings. But many (including Penguin) are out of stock.

I don't think they're used that much these days.

Chris at Lybrary has a book that shows you how to make your own cards: no idea how easy/tough it is:

https://www.lybrary.com/how-to-make-your......680.html
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Frank Yuen
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Frank Yuen
Vanishing Inc. has a short ebook on this topic in their free downloads section.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......g-cards/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Printing on Cards (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL