The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Promotional Video Distribution (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I am a new ventriloquist, and about to send out my promotional video.

What is the best method of sending promotional videos to potential clients;

Is it sent in a file by email, with a link on youtube, or a DVD in the mail or handed over to the client.

When it is sent by DVD, do you custom print your advertising on the face of the DVD, or use a blank disk and write your information on it with a marker?

Any comments concerning the topic is appreciated.

Buzz
HerraTaikuri
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
60 Posts

Profile of HerraTaikuri
Don't really know anything about the topic other than if I receive an email from someone I don't know, with a random file or link, I'm not going to open it.
Too many spywares and viruses around these days.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Thanks for the information; I am the same way, If I don’t know you I won’t open the link; I will never send spam.

Customers at times want to receive advertising, in that case you are placed on the white list and email will work for you then.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Why limit yourself to one or the other?
Wes
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hi Wes;
I am not limiting myself; I was interested in concentrating my recourses on the most efficient advertising program based on the experiences of members here.

I assume in my stage of my career, I need to deliver something on the spot everyone can look at without an internet connection.

I am interested in finding out if performer’s still use custom printed DVD’s, and would it be worth the expense to print them.
Or upload to youtube and advertise a link
funnyclown
View Profile
Veteran user
Burlingame, CA
354 Posts

Profile of funnyclown
Hi Buzz,
I send videos to my agents all the time. If your dealing with a regular agent an email link to a YouTube video is fine. The best method is a DVD that can be mailed to clients. Make sure when you make video if your sending to an agent , do not include your contact info on video. Agents will use your video to show their clients and if you have your contact info on video they can not use it.

If the video is going to your clients, it's ok to have your contact info on it.

Hope this helps
Mike Ianneo
Funnybone Magic

"Defender of the Defenseless One Balloon Dog"

https://www.funnybonemagic.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the great information, you have talked me into it; I am going to purchase my own disk printer, this way I can customize my advertising for each client.

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 12:11am
Funnyclown;

I don’t think I’ll ever use youtube for presenting my videos, in my mind it’s amateurish and the quantity of Ventriloquist on youtube good and bad will dilute the impact of my performance.

I would use my web site or the DVD to present my video portfolio.
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Howie: As someone who knows about social media, marketing and getting information out there, let me add a few thoughts.

Have you tried Vimeo? My friends who are professional photographers and filmmakers love Vimeo, because they say the quality is better. But YouTube is improving. If you're doing your own video and can control how you compress it, you can get HD quality video on YouTube. If you're interested I can tell you how. The great thing about these is they host the video, so you don't have to use up bandwidth on your own account. Yet you can still embed the videos on your own web site. Here's some instructions . Anything you don't get, just ask.

I also agree that sending links to strangers is a bad idea via email. In fact, email itself is kind of dying thing. At a party the other night someone mentioned email and one of my younger friends said, "email -- what, am I Amish?" One of the most professional ways to get your name out there is through LinkedIn. Do you have a LinkedIn account? About 90 percent of all companies are using LinkedIn to hire employees. It would make sense that it would be used in the entertainment industry, too. It's the professional version of Facebook. It's like your online resume.

So, through your LinkedIn account, search for your contacts -- the people you want to sell to and try to connect with them. You'll be surprised how many people accept your invitation. Also look for them on Facebook. A lot of business are using Facebook for their marketing. "Like" their page. Find the people who do the hiring and send them friend requests.

Then, you can start posting links to your videos on LinkedIn and Facebook. It will show up in their timeline. You can send them messages with your video links and embeds and they are much more likely to click on it.

You can also try Twitter. A friend of mine, following my advice, was trying to market a book. On her first week on Twitter, she met someone who helped her get distribution through Amazon and really picked up sales on her self-published book. If you'd like more info, I can post some tips on this.

But these social networks are much more effective ways to get out your message. If the people hiring you are over 50 (like me), they might still watch DVDs and might not see you sending them as "quaint." But I'm 52, and I even expect someone to contact me through FB, LinkedIn or Twitter. Emails, get deleted, pamphlets sent snail mail get thrown away. These are the new communications tool, and they're as valuable as the telephone.

Which is another idea, if you approach these people in person or via telephone, tell them you have a video and ask them how they would like to receive it. That also guarantees they'll watch it, because it's something they requested.

Also, I'd make sure that video is no longer than 3 minutes. Most people will tune out web videos in the first 10 seconds, so you have that long to get their attention. Start with a quick joke. Don't do big windups as you would on stage.

I've had a lot of success in this in my day job, and I don't see why this wouldn't work for what you're going. Hope this helps. Any questions, fire away. If I can't answer them, I can point you to someone who can.

Ron
sleightlysilas
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sleightlysilas
I initially thought that YouTube channels and facebook fanpages were childish and amatuer. I was gravely mistaken however. I sat down and had a casual drink with an agent and a marketer and they told me how convenient it is that nowadays, you have such powerful marketing tools available to you that an incredibly sized target audience and wide demographic use, and are virtually free! I foolishly asked them where one might acquire these Fabled tools of marketing might for virtually no cost.

And they said Facebook, Twitter, YouTube.

I mean go figure right? Millions of people use it. Millions of people can see it. For a conentional ad to reach that amount of people, it would cost you an arm and both legs.

And Id say nowadays, if you're dealing with an agency, they surely must have an Internet connection.

Social Media Marketing is the new beast in publicity, I'm still working on mine and it's not easy street...

Good luck!
Sleightly Silas
Magician|Hypnotist|Visionaire
www.SleightlySilas.com
"...a little bit of magic,
with a lot of something else..."
mrgoat
View Profile
Regular user
England
115 Posts

Profile of mrgoat
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 09:45, Howie Diddot wrote:
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the great information, you have talked me into it; I am going to purchase my own disk printer, this way I can customize my advertising for each client.

If you want to look professional, I humbly suggest a home disk printer will produce a product that looked like you printed it at home. I assume you get a printer to make your business cards. I would also get a professional to design and produce your DVDs.

Although, if you are sending them out unsolicited, you may as well just through them straight in the trash, imho.

What could you do on youtube that could become viral to your potential audience?
What could you do that no one EVER does in their promo reel?

Think.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2011-03-13 00:11, Howie Diddot wrote:
Funnyclown;

I don’t think I’ll ever use youtube for presenting my videos, in my mind it’s amateurish and the quantity of Ventriloquist on youtube good and bad will dilute the impact of my performance.

I would use my web site or the DVD to present my video portfolio.

I think that's very smart. YouTube makes sense if yo uwant to try to reach the masses, though even then its easy to get lost in the noise.

If you use an Apple computer the MobileMe is something like $50.00 a year, high quality, easy to use, and already integrated with Apple's video production procust like iMovie.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
It was the consensus that having a printer will be a good choice, as long as it was a quality printer and can produce superior quality disks.

The printer I purchased prints subliminal disks, it will not run if wet and prints edge to edge; I am very happy with the choice.

Link to printer

http://www.teac.com/disc_publishing/thermal_disc_printers/

Posted: Mar 25, 2011 10:26pm
Correction: “it will not run if wet and prints edge to edge”

Should be: The ink on the disk will not run if the disk gets wet and the printer prints the disk edge to edge

http://www.teac.com/disc_publishing/thermal_disc_printers/
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
DVDs are going the way of 78s, cassettes, 8-tracks and cassettes. You won't get lost on YouTube if you use it as a server, then embed the links on your own web site. Send out links to that web site, then they'll also have your contact information.

Don't want two sites? Facebook page. Not profile but a page. You can upload videos. Facebook hosts it all. And chances are, the people who are hiring you, they're on Facebook, which pretty much owns the world. You can search them out in your area and send them invitations. That's becoming like a phone call. Actually, it is like a phone call, because they're picking it up and watching it on their IPhone.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
You don't need a printer that uses ink. Get a LightScribe DVD burner. They can be purchased relatively inexpensively. You will also need the special LightScribe disks. These can be purchased at any office supply store (especially the "big box" stores).

This unit uses a laser to burn the image on the front surface of the disc. No ink to run or smudge.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Promotional Video Distribution (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL