The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Great Chain Illusion - Hobson/Holly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
There's a new, lighter version out now: http://www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com

Does anyone who's owned this or the earlier Great Chain Illusion have an opinion on an obvious question:

Which is more baffling -- a rope (as in Bob Sheets' Hang 'Em High) or a chain?

The chain makes a solid clunk when it hits the stage, which is good. On the other hand, people know that chains can come apart, steel can be held together with magnets, etc.

Rope attracts no such suspicions -- people know it's one length, especially after the spectators pull on it. But it may not be as impressive as a big metal chain (or as visible to an audience).

I'd like to hear your ideas on the pluses and minuses of each -- thanks!
Jerry
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Any thoughts on these questions?

Thanks!
Jerry
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3649 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Having done both, I like the chain much better. More deceptive and the audible elements help.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hey Jerry: I've done both. The rope is better for closer quarters, though Bob Sheets has done it on stage. I've done the Chain Illusion since it first came out in my two-man act with John George. It plays very nicely. I'm planning on getting this lighter version, first, as a backup to the original (I've had to do some maintenance on it); and the original IS very heavy. But I think this heaviness is part of it's deceptiveness. You get the two helpers on stage and they pull the chain to make sure it's "solid", then you do your work in front of the chain and pull it through. The drop to the stage is a very strong moment.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3649 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I did the rope for over 10 years. Great reactions but the inability to let go of the rope at the end always bugged me (although no spectator every mentioned it). From an ease of use/trasport standpoint, the rope wins. The chain is definitely a pain to lug around but the fact that you can drop the chain after the penetration is the winning factor for me. From a price standpoint, hang em high has always been one of the best steals in magic IMO. Super visual magic for $35 can't be beat. The chain is overpriced IMO (if you are comparing the two) so it really depends on how often you will use it.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1130 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
$179 is a much easier price to swallow. And there is some work in the chain and on the holdout. I just purchased this one this afternoon. Free shipping on such a heavy product is hard to beat . . .
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1629 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Eric and Doug,

Thanks for the info on the chain effect - much appreciated. Guess I'll have to take advantage of the free shipping deal!

Cheers,
Jerry

P.S. Doug, your Wild Coin remains my all-time favorite; thanks!
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Jerry - did you get this? What do you think about it now that you have (if you did get it)

Im thinking about it - my question is how much "fidgiting with the gimmick" do you need to do behind your back?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Great Chain Illusion - Hobson/Holly (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL