The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » "I thought I'd heard it all, but..." (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
How many times have you heard that one? But today topped my list.

I will sometimes demo the strippers and, if the guy has a child of maybe 6-12 with him, then demo the cards to the kid. And I will drop the price on the cards to $5 if the father has bought the strippers.

Today, I sold strippers to the father and then asked the kid if he’d seen the Magic Cards.

“Nope”. Demo’d them. Then because I was having a good day, said, “And because your father already bought the strippers, I’ll GIVE you the card set for FREE!”

I couldn’t believe my ears when the kid said, “I’ll have to think about it.”

Huh?

I said, “No, no, they’re free. Costs nothing.”

“Well, I’ll still have to think about it.”

I looked at the dad—“I’m not joking…I’ll give him the cards for free because you bought the strippers.”

Again, the kid said, “I”ll still have to think about it.”

Dad shrugged. I shrugged back. Kid walked away. And of course, they never came back.

Let’s see someone top THAT one!!

Jon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
In my opinion ... smart kid.

Knows you don't get something for nothing, and it is best to walk away from a deal that sounds "too good to be true".

I'd cross him off your list of "punters".

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
This has happened to me a few times as well, I sometimes give away a free trick at the beginning of the pitch (if it is slow or in the mornings), to draw a crowd, get them in the deal, or just for the heck of it, and they sometimes give it back.

I usually use the wording "Did you like that? Here, you can have it, put it in your pocket." I usually give them a crazy cube aka die-ception. I got a bunch of them from Magic Makers in bulk with no instructions at a good price.

If they ask “how do you do it” I say the lesson costs extra, but it is easy to figure out, but if they don’t figure it out to come back before they leave and I will tell them if they want. Sometimes they will come back to buy my package deal later in the day, and the free trick kind of serves as a reminder to come back later. Sometimes they will give me $5 for the lesson or buy another trick if I teach them that one.

I have found that it is difficult to sell items in the morning at fairs (and similar events) since they do not want to carry it, no matter how good of a deal you give them, so this sometimes works to bring people back. The great thing about magic is that it will probably be the coolest thing they will see at the fair, that they can buy, so they usually remember to come back if they want it, or at least to see the demo one more time.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
I have found that it is difficult to sell items in the morning at fairs (and similar events) since they do not want to carry it, no matter how good of a deal you give them, so this sometimes works to bring people back. The great thing about magic is that it will probably be the coolest thing they will see at the fair, that they can buy, so they usually remember to come back if they want it, or at least to see the demo one more time.

It is like that everywhere ... I can spot it easily ... they enter the place, and they look and they look ... until someone buys something ... then everyone else starts buying.

Can easily see it when it rains in Myrtle Beach in the summer, because they can't go to the beach so everyone is forced to go shopping ... flea market opens at 9:00 and the place is packed ... but you won't sell anything till 11:00 ... you can literally stand in the isle and watch the first person buy something, then watch everyone start buying. Never fails!

-JoeJoe
iugefu
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of iugefu
Get a buddy to do the first buy.

My lady partner used to do it all the time in the days I used to busk, that is,to step forward and drop money in the hat.............others follow.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Quote:
On 2011-02-27, Jon-O the Great wrote: I will sometimes demo the strippers and, if the guy has a child of maybe 6-12 with him, then demo the cards to the kid. And I will drop the price on the cards to $5 if the father has bought the strippers. Today, I sold strippers to the father and then asked the kid if he’d seen the Magic Cards. “Nope”. Demo’d them. Then because I was having a good day, said, “And because your father already bought the strippers, I’ll GIVE you the card set for FREE!”

I couldn’t believe my ears when the kid said, “I’ll have to think about it.” Huh?

As incredible as it may seem, some people just are not interested in magic. I'll bet Jon could have offered the kid Houdini's original Water Torture Cell for free, and he still would not have been interested. And if you don't go for that explanation, then how about "It takes all kinds"? SETH

P.S. At fleas, I have often found that kids are given a certain amount of money to spend, and they want to look around and see everything before deciding. Same thing at street festivals, but to a lesser extent. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Here is another trick:
You get a kid whose parents are working the fair (or swap meet, etc.) and he really wants your magic but doesn't have any money; so you set him up as a stick, in exchange for a magic set after he helps you make a certain amount of sales.

You have to trust the kid with some money (you know where his parents work, right?), but here is how it goes down. During the close I’ll say my package deal for all 3 tricks is $25, but if two or more people buy it right now the price will go down to $20. Low and behold the kid (your stick) has $20 and wants the package deal real bad, who wants to go in with him?

It works like a charm, but it does make you feel a little guilty, especially if the marks come back and see the kid buying another set. I have only used it sparingly in tough crowds. You have to think how many people would have just paid up the extra $5. In the long run it will just come out as a wash either way.

You can also do the 2 sets for $20 each with out a stick, and get some pretty good turns, but you have to feel the crowd. This also happens; if someone wants the set real bad at the special price and he is the only one, he will wait for another pitch to get the deal or bring a friend by to see it, and act as your built in “stick.” I prefer now to keep my price the same and then after I have the initial sale I’ll tell them they can get a second set for $5 off if they want.

Sometimes it helps to mix up the price and the pitch a little depending on the crowd and it also helps break up the monotony as well.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"Give them a free trick and it will remind them to come back and sometime they will pay you $5.00 for a lession"

"During the close I’ll say my package deal for all 3 tricks is $25, but if two or more people buy it right now the price will go down to $20. Low and behold the kid (your stick) has $20 and wants the package deal real bad, who wants to go in with him?"

Two very bad ideas.Once again Mr Roya is giving bad advice.As a matter of fact these two bits of business are so stupid I can't believe even Mr Roya would suggest such nonsense.Please don't do either one of these.Just do the pitch as you know it and you'll do just fine.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Giving out free tricks without instructions, and then charging $5 for a lesson doesn't sound like a moneymaker to me. But as they say, "your mileage may vary." SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
The kid not wanting the free deck was strange to me. But what really gets my goat is when a kid doesn’t buy, but then brings HIS friend who also doesn’t buy. Many times I have felt like asking the 2nd kid before I demo, “Hey kid, do you have 8 bucks?”

I know. I know. Someone passing by may see it and buy—or one or both of the kids might con their parents out of $8. But as you might imagine, it’s very disconcerting when this happens, especially when I’m having a bad day anyway.

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Yep, there are certainly plenty of tire-kickers out there. One solution is to delay the pitch until a few more people stop to watch (hopefully people with money!). With bigger tips, you chances of selling something have to be better. I've tried to do that with varying results, given the short attention span of many people.

Another solution is to suddenly announce that you are taking a lunch/bathroom/snack/rest break and will be back in ten minutes (or sometimes sooner, once the offending parties actually leave). That works too! SETH
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
If someone is standing in front of you, DEMO. If one kid doesn't buy but brings two of his friends, you just started a tip. More people will stop to watch. If only two people from that buy, its better than none.
-Matt
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Here is another one of my bad ideas, and I have mentioned it before. If you are tired, don't think they have money, losing your voice, they just want a free show, are having a bad day, etc. Then charge $1 for the demo. One person can pay, anyone can watch. Give the person who paid a dollar, a dollar discount if they want to buy after.

You’ll give them a good pitch, they will be attentive, and your closing rate will be much higher. If I am working by myself at a long fair with 12+ hour days, I will do this the last two hours. It helps keep my sanity and my voice. I do use a mic by the way, but by the 10th hour I have done around 100 pitches and that is 400+ minutes of talking, almost non stop.

Also if someone is rude, really drunk, or I get a bad vibe from them, I’ll just tell them I’m on break and to come back in 10 minutes. If they come back, they are really interested, and worth pitching to. To me, a good attitude is the most important thing when it comes to being successful when working a joint, if I can avoid the obvious ah0les, that helps maintain my good attitude.

I’m offering my advice for free since I appreciate the feedback of other members so take it for what it is worth, and it could well be bad advice for some of the people on this forum, but it works for me. Very well in fact.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
"Here is another one of my bad ideas" I couldn't have said it better myself Mr Roya.

Guys I hope you don't think all this BS really works...trust me,it won't !

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Maybe this $1 demo bit works for Will, but I can't see it, personally.

I have also found that, at least for me, 6-8 hours of pitching is about it. I have done 10 hours, but that's a real stretch! Anything more than that tends to be counter-productive. And let's not forget the extra hour or so that it takes to set up and tear down if you're working outside, and also the driving time to and from the event.

That's because of the "law of diminishing returns" -- spending more time or energy on something does NOT necessarily mean an equivalent amount of sales or profits. You need to work smarter, not longer. I worked an Xmas bazaar one year that extended their hours, in the hopes of attracting more business. But all it did was to spread the same amount of business over a longer period of time. Last year they went back to the old way and it was much better for everyone concerned.

Don and David Walker had the best system, working as a tag team, on and off for an hour each. But if you're working single-o, that's not possible. So in my experience, you need to concentrate your efforts in the time available, to make the most sales during the most active periods of time. Sitting around for extra hours hoping for more business is not the best use of your time, in my opinion. McDonald's can afford to be open from 6 am to midnight, but I'm not McDonald's! SETH
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If you can't turn the tip then your pitch needs work. I'm with Don on this one. Instead of cheap tricks, work on improving your pitch.

You'll get a lot more millage from a good pitch than you will a shill.

-JoeJoe
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I stick my pitch 95% of the time, I use some of the "tricks" I mentioned when I get bored or when it is a rough crowd, or just try to different things to mix it up, (usually after I am into four figures for the day already.)

Also note that I am mainly working the big fairs and shows, longer days, usually solo, hence making the bigger takes at the end of the day. I do enjoy this business but I am in it to win it (make as much as I can, while I can.) I also feel strongly about making my customers happy about their purchase and having a 0% return rate (maybe we can start another topic on this if anyone is interested.)

My mind set might be a little different then some of the 40 milers out there or someone just doing it on the side, so once again; take it for what its worth to you.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Will this why I dislike you so.Just read your post.You live in a fantasy world.I'm beginning to think you really believe all your post.But I don't believe them because I know better.Why do you have to be so arrogant and pushy ? You have been this way ever since you started posting here.Even my friends that know you or have come across you all say the same thing "hes too full of himself" EVERY ONE OF THEM ! Dosen't that tell you something?Wake up and smell the toast burning.

I wish you would get off your high horse and start to post the truth,but I know you won't.Once an A.H always an A.H. huh.

This is too much for me...

Don
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Blah blah blah ... I stick to my pitch 100% of the time ... period.

And I pitch at least 4 days a week all year long, and I street perform 7 nights a week all summer long - that means for 3 months out of the year, I am working from 9am till 11pm. Don't even talk to me about long days and side work!

-JoeJoe
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
Everyone has their own way to do things, to each their own, etc. If we all did it the same, what would be the point of posting on here?

Like Don said I just make it all up anyway! And we all know the great Don Driver is all knowing and has the final word when it comes to pitching magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » "I thought I'd heard it all, but..." (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL