The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A real Superhuman has just left us... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
RIP Ben Underwood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8U_FHdES4c&feature=related

Look him up, you will benefit from it. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Channel Five did an episode about him on a documentary series a while back. I recorded it, but never got around to watching it. It's online here for anyone interested.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks balducci... Smile
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
That's tragic, and he was incredible.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 06:43, Pakar Ilusi wrote:...

Tell me/us what you feel is significant and maybe I'll go have a look.

Use of commands and presupposing a benefit for others are both "black magic" of a sort. Maybe you should stick to cards?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Jonathan, in the time it took you to type all of that, you could have done a quick http://www.google.com search and read who it is and his story. Even if it there is no direct benefit, it is interesting to see how people adapt to situations. Well, maybe not interesting to someone who is vastly more knowledgeable than the general population.

To save you the time and effort from http://thehumanmarvels.com/?p=88
Ben Underwood had his eyes surgically removed at the age of three due to cancer. He discovered human echolocation at the age of seven and now uses it to accomplish such feats as running, rollerblading, foosball and playing video games. Human echolocation involves creating an environmental image by hearing echoes bouncing from those objects. It is similar in principle to sonar and to the animal echolocation employed by bats and dolphins. Human echolocation has been studied since at least the 1950′s but is still not completely understood. Ray Charles was said to use a variation of the technique by wearing hard-bottomed shoes, the change in sound alerted him to when we had passed through a doorway. However, very few people have mastered human echolocation to a superhuman level like Ben Underwood.

Ben passed away January 19, 2009. He was taken by the same cancer that claimed is sight and leaves behind a legacy of inspiration few will ever match.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 21:33, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Use of commands and presupposing a benefit for others are both "black magic" of a sort. Maybe you should stick to cards?

Haha, JT! It is "Black Magic"! I am controlling you... Woooo.... Smile

From you, I will take that as a compliment! That I could somehow influence you... Smile

Anyway, a simple Google would show why I THINK you would benefit from learning about the life o a Blind Man who used Echolocation to move around. That and his positive outlook (pun intended) on life...

But, do as you please... Smile

And... Thanks TomKMagic! Smile

(And I don't do cards anymore since doing Mentalism... Smile )
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
613 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
Just for fun, I've actually tried this technique, in familiar surroundings. It does take lots practice, but it can be useful if you are walking around in complete darkness or if you are completely blind. You can also use ambient sounds and see how they change as you move around, but it is harder to tune into those, than if you are emitting the sound yourself.

I saw some show on Discovery on a show called "Is It Possible?" featuring Daniel Kish, one of the top echolocation experts. He even found a ball in an open field. It might not be worth your time, but there is a link...

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/is-it-po......man.html

Or a 5-part video set that I found interesting about Ben Underwood (Part 4 mentions more about Dan Kish):
[Part 1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLziFMF4DHA (10:51)
[Part 2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1QaCeosUmw (10:37)
[Part 3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikpNZOx5FGk (10:20)
[Part 4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Px-aPnk4ZU (10:34)
[Part 5] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNkJ1diTxOE (05:12)
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Very interesting.

Thanks TomKMagic! Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 22:42, TomKMagic wrote:

I saw some show on Discovery on a show called "Is It Possible?" featuring Daniel Kish, one of the top echolocation experts. He even found a ball in an open field.

I saw something about Daniel Kish in my local newspaper today, and just now saw another article mentioning him here on Slate:

http://www.slate.com/id/2295602/

Apparently this human echolocation stuff has been around for decades, going back to at least the 1940s.

It seems that human echolocation has been discovered time and time again, by scientists and by the media. The Slate article talks about this and other scientific discoveries made over and over, and why this is so.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Echolocation is an old mentalism routine, some use trickery, others have actually trained themselves to actually do it.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2116 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Ad some (not all) pretend they can do it and are faking it. Just like many of the martial arts feats in the Guinness book of World Records -- faked.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 00:48, Dreadnought wrote:

Echolocation is an old mentalism routine, ...

Can you describe such a mentalism routine? Like what, walking an obstacle route blindfolded? Identifying the shape of an object?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
My wife teaches echolocation to her blind students. She had a student who could pretty much ride a bike around a bit using it.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 02:34, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-05-29 00:48, Dreadnought wrote:

Echolocation is an old mentalism routine, ...

Can you describe such a mentalism routine? Like what, walking an obstacle route blindfolded? Identifying the shape of an object?

Pm me or e-mail me.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Okay I'll bite

How well does it work if you use a cell phone app (like a ping ringtone) ?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'd like to know as well. Smile

Anyone?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6761 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
Quote:

I totally agree.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-05-30 07:09, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I totally agree.

Just check him up. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

I was just thinking that if one had a separate device that could emit different kinds of sounds one could more start testing and refining the process to explore echolocation. I still have no opinion as to what resolution one can get using human ears and sounds produced in the range of our voices.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A real Superhuman has just left us... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL