The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Exposure Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2011-03-01 13:35, Mario Morris wrote:
What is your thoughts on Exposure Shows?
IE, shows that don't reveal magic effects but claim to Expose Mediums, Spiritualists, and so on?

Do you know of any good performers in this field of work?
Any thoughts appreciated!
Mario

As I mentioned, I do what could be called an expose of talking to the dead in Play Dead.

Doing this kind of thing is VERY hard, as the power behind this kind of fraud is the victim's belief. If they believe, then the deception is effective. If they don't, then the deception not only fails but looks so flimsy that it is hard for non-believers to accept the fact that anyone would believe in it.

It is very hard to make this kind of presentation entertaining and compelling. It is very easy to make this kind of presentation a heavy-handed lecture/demo filled with self righteousness.

Doing this kind of show is hardly going after a soft target, and there are many good reasons it should be done. But making it truly successful in fulfilling its purpose is a very daunting task.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Todd, I would love to see your show!
Mario
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Explaining magical methods/secrets to the true believers does not help. They are convinced and cannot or will not change their minds.

I know of one case where a spectator was seriously disturbed by a simple magic trick, thinking it was witchcraft or the work of Satan. The magician decided to explain the secret because this spectator was very overwrought. It did no good. The spectator still thought it was the work of Satan.

Exposures of televangelist fakery don't last. Those guys are soon reincarnated doing the same or similar scam.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 22:06, Bill Fienning wrote:
Exposures of televangelist fakery don't last. Those guys are soon reincarnated doing the same or similar scam.

But it makes their lives a bit more difficult. And that's a start.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
For a number of years, I travelled with my show to different Churches across the UK.
I then began to perform shows that exposed fake supernatural claims, including prosperity Evangelists.
I never did expose a magic effect.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I can see why some performers would be upset by the idea of an Exposure show.
In many ways, this title is to vague and open to many interpretations and experiences,
I can see that now!

Also, it crosses beliefs, I guess. Just because one may perform an exposure show does not mean they don't believe in the supernatural in all cases.
In some cases, they may have strong belief in the supernatural. Just as much as if one performs, say, a bizarre show of sorts may have no belief in the supernatural.

In Demonology, one could say they have the ability to predict the future.
On the other hand, one could argue or present that demons are prolific liars and should not be trusted as a guide.
I believe that this kind of espouser could greatly enhance ones show.

On the other hand, if one is a total sceptic, then they will be convinced that every thing is a hoax which could lead to no boundaries at all while presenting a show.
I guess if one has a genuine belief not in magical effects but in the supernatural, they will be guided by what they interpreted as truth, as a performer that does not believe would be guided by his own interpretation of right and wrong.

A clash of interest of belief or non-belief can arise here, I guess.
If you are a performer who performs supernatural shows as well as having a real belief of some kind, they will perhaps have an interpretation on the Supernatural, which will be guided by their own beliefs, be it personal experience, Pagan, Hindu, Christianity, whatever.
On the other hand, if you have no belief at all in the supernatural, well, you can easily step on the Magic of Belief and not even know you have done so.

As far as right and wrong goes, it does not matter what you believe for every one draws a line, and some choose to cross it by not caring about what they do other than the money they can make.
I would hope performers like so are few. Am I interested in going after such folk? NO. On the other hand, I would give warnings.

In the mean time, I will stick to my Comedy Street Show!
Mario
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2011-03-02 04:20, Doctor REvil wrote:
Why is it that "Magicians" feel the need to pick on soft targets? If they really wanted to "save the world" from all the fakes and liars, etc., maybe they should have a closer look at mainstream religion and the "magic tricks" they have used to bend the will of people for thousands of years......

Wow, hate much there, Doctor REvil?
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
It was partially "exposure" shows that turned me on to magic in the first place. Not entirely, but partially.
It was definitely an "exposure" that sealed the deal.
That said, I've never done it.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Exposure Shows (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL