The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » S'plain the funeral protesters to me please.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 05:15, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 08:58, gsidhe wrote:
They protest the military because it protects a country that allows homosexuals (And Jews and Muslims, etc...)to exist without prosecution.
The very same military that protects their freedom to be (expletive deleted)
Gwyd

I still don't get it because allowing homosexuals to "exist" without prosecution is something recent in America. For years you could go to prison for being gay. And people died in wars during that time as well. So their argument makes no sense.

As far as the Supreme Court decision, the First Amendment means nothing if it doesn't support the right to express views we don't agree with.
Ed, nothing about the WBC makes sense.

The problem Fred Phelps has with the US military and America is that we aren't dragging homosexuals through the streets and stoning them to death in the town square.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Yeah...They pretty much hate that.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Phelps doesn't discriminate; he's protested on Parliament Hill in Ottawa too. Apparently he doesn't think that it's right that Canadian civil servants can get the same spousal benefits whether they are in a same-sex or opposite-sex relationship. To teach us a lesson he burned Canada's "fag flag". The only audience he seemed to garner was a few journalists and a representative of the Ottawa fire department, who gave him handy tips on how not to harm himself or others when the flag was lit up.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
What the heck is a "fag flag?" Is the maple leaf the new pink triangle or something? What am I missing here?
What a dink.
"We don't take kindly to folk not takin' kindly 'round here."
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah, did you see the photos with the pink triangle? I thought they had messed up then realized it meant something to 'em.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 09:50, HerbLarry wrote:
Quote:

I'm all for free speech and I get that it's a difficult debate, but I think you need to earn the right to say what you please.

Think about that a little more, you might change your mind. Glad I'm across the pond where the freedom to speak your mind doesn't come with a qualification.

I'm an American...just living in the UK. I've thought about it plenty and stand by it Smile
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Gotta agree with HerbLarry on that one. A first, I think.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, but I gave at the office.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 13:46, critter wrote:
What the heck is a "fag flag?" Is the maple leaf the new pink triangle or something? What am I missing here?
What a dink.
"We don't take kindly to folk not takin' kindly 'round here."

Maybe the rainbow flag? Not sure if there are ones with pink triangles.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-03 10:53, RS1963 wrote:
This shows what a joke the U.S. Supreme court has become. (It's been this way for years by the way) It's too liberal, and they don't have many judges that have any mind power at all.

Scalia notwithstanding, if you're unhappy that offensive free speech wasn't shut down, you probably want justices who are MORE liberal.

Though all of the justices appear to (to varying degrees) subvert principle from time to time to come up with outcomes that they find more desirable, all of them are extremely intellectually capable.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
I think Thomas is the intellectual lightweight in the bunch.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2719 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 22:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
This shows what a joke the U.S. Supreme court has become. (It's been this way for years by the way) It's too liberal, and they don't have many judges that have any mind power at all.

Scalia notwithstanding, if you're unhappy that offensive free speech wasn't shut down, you probably want justices who are MORE liberal.

Though all of the justices appear to (to varying degrees) subvert principle from time to time to come up with outcomes that they find more desirable, all of them are extremely intellectually capable.

I do not want justices who are more liberal. I want less of that. What I said is true. A few maybe extremely intellectually capable, but even those that are refuse to show it very often if at all.

You may think that this ruling is not showing any signs of being the Supreme Court being liberal at all. It's actually showing how overly liberal it has become.

This is just another of many rulings that the Supreme Court has made so that one group or another will not be harmed by being offensive to others. Enabling that group to become even more offensive. obnoxious etc...

Caving into the group being discussed here is just another example of how the U.S. Supreme Court has no back bone, or balls to stand up to anyone anymore. They have have no minds of their own. They only want to screw up things more. They have become the supreme mockery of themselves, and the U.S citizens. That is the truth.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 12:05, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 22:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

I do not want justices who are more liberal. I want less of that. What I said is true. A few maybe extremely intellectually capable, but even those that are refuse to show it very often if at all.

You may think that this ruling is not showing any signs of being the Supreme Court being liberal at all. It's actually showing how overly liberal it has become.

This is just another of many rulings that the Supreme Court has made so that one group or another will not be harmed by being offensive to others. Enabling that group to become even more offensive. obnoxious etc...

Caving into the group being discussed here is just another example of how the U.S. Supreme Court has no back bone, or balls to stand up to anyone anymore. They have have no minds of their own. They only want to screw up things more. They have become the supreme mockery of themselves, and the U.S citizens. That is the truth.

The vast majority of people in the country are against these idiots. Regardless of the merits of the case, it takes far MORE backbone to take the position they did than to just rule against a bunch of goofballs that 99% of the country can't stand.

While free speech is not an abosolute right, restricting free speech because it is extremely offensive is much more a of a liberal theme (political correctness) than a conservative one; another example is campus speech codes, and the fact mentioned earlier in this thread that some of our closest and more liberal neighbors, Canada and England, have banned these bozos.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 00:08, landmark wrote:
I think Thomas is the intellectual lightweight in the bunch.

I don't think there is anything close to a lightweight in the bunch, unless you mean in the sense that someone has to the 9th best among them (though I wouldn't agree that's Thomas, but I don't think there's all that much to separate them). But you're really talking in the sense that one might say that Max Euwe is the "weakest" modern era world chess champion, even though he's better than 99.999+% of people who have ever played the game.

I have noticed (and I'm not accusing you of doing this) that liberals in general tend to be extremely (and unjustifiably) critical of Thomas with respect to a perceived lack of intelligence. I believe this is because he's their worst nightmare - a conservative that they can't play the race card against - and thus they need some other way to attack his credibility.

I suspect that there aren't all that many NVMS regulars who have read more of Thomas's opinions than I. Personally, I think he's extremely knowledgeable and extremely intelligent. I'm particularly fond of his dissents in the Kelo eminent domain case and the Oregon medical marijuana case (Raich, I believe).

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I suppose it might be amusing to hold rallies outside their churches using huge sound systems with chanting about "jesus loves you anyway" during their services.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm in....
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5015 Posts

Profile of landmark
Lobowolf wrote:"While free speech is not an absolute right, restricting free speech because it is extremely offensive is much more a of a liberal theme (political correctness) than a conservative one."
Like the way conservatives rushed to Wikileaks' defense?

I defer to you on Thomas' court case opinions; but I am spectacularly unimpressed by his public pronouncements and interviews. As for attacking his credibility, his conflict of interest issues leave him wide open to that.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 22:37, landmark wrote:
Lobowolf wrote:"While free speech is not an absolute right, restricting free speech because it is extremely offensive is much more a of a liberal theme (political correctness) than a conservative one."
Like the way conservatives rushed to Wikileaks' defense?

To the extent that conservatives have a problem with Wikileaks, I don't believe that their primary opposition (unlike the opposition to WBC) is "offensiveness" (which is one reason I specified "because it is extremely offensive" in my admittedly very general assertion). Even if for the sake of argument I agreed that Wikileaks was an issue of "offensiveness," I still believe the generalization is accurate.

RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2719 Posts

Profile of RS1963
If they are allowed to protest. I (Or anyone else for that matter) should be allowed to shove tennis balls up their noses while they are protesting. It should be ruled that they can't fight against them being crammed, rammed, slammed into. or shoved up anywhere else either.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » S'plain the funeral protesters to me please.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL