We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Essential Magic Conference DVD Set (8 DVDs) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4356 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2011-03-12 16:31, 350zTT wrote:
Anyone got these yet that can give a quick review! Quite a few sets already showing up for sale on here and might bite the bullet and pic one up but $100 + bucks is a lot to drop right now! Shoulda done the $75 deal for the conference!
I'm selling mine in the DVD sales section for around the price you're looking for. First PM gets it.
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I just got mine today! I believe the chat logs are on disc 7 (just going off of memory). Nice looking set! I'm excited to start watching the conference again, once I have time.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Mine reached me yesterday. Haven't looked them all yet I have seen a couple and they are very good. This online conference was very good and well worth the 75.00. Those that missed it last year don't miss it this year. I'm sure it will be just as good. Someone asked if Max Maven's effect is taught. Yes it is and that is on disk 2. Very good effect I have to say and even tho I'm not much into that type of magic I may have to add this to my arsenal.

This set can also be bought at your favorite dealer as well. For a much higher price tag but even at the higher price I think it is very worth it. Get them while you can. If you don't you very well maybe sorry you missed out.
Magic-Adri
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Magic-Adri
Are there tricks on this DVD set, or are there only performances, theory and history?
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I've watched the first disc and started the second. These are GREAT! Advice, performances, very interesting history, etc. by the TOP names in magic. I found some very very valuable ideas, thoughts, etc. I was really impressed with how great these are. It's a lot of content but don't overlook these. If Volume 1 was any indication these are a home run. One effect by Gaetan Bloom was worth the price of the set.

Tim
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1234 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On 2011-03-23 23:00, Tim Trono wrote:
One effect by Gaetan Bloom was worth the price of the set.

Was it the sponges?
magicjoe
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of magicjoe
Just got mine today!!!! Watched the 2nd DVD and understanding some of the moves that GAZZO did but does he explain this ambitious card trick else where?
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I think Gaeton Bloom's was my favorite lecture. Extremely entertaining and he taught a LOT of awesome stuff. Inspiring too.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
919 Posts

Profile of Martino
Can someone post a list of the contents please? I'm interested in knowing what each speaker talked about!
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Martino: http://essentialmagicconference.com/schedule

I wasn't fan about the hodge-podge way the DVDs were put together. As the DVDs are labelled session X but contain content from session Y. For example even though the DVD is labelled Session 1 there are talks from Session 2 on it. I felt the original order in which the talks were broadcast was much more cohesive.

Also the Shape of My Heart song is missing during Cyril's Tribute to Mahka Tendo on the Session 5 DVD for some reason. I guess they couldn't acquire the rights or something. Strangely enough the song is still played in the online session.

Not to mention they still haven't indexed the Sessions and made each presentation available as a separate file and in a higher quality as promised. http://essentialmagicconference.com/news/40
BrendoneC
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of BrendoneC
I've been meaning to pick it up, (haven't got around to it yet) and defiantly looking forward to EMC 2011 LIVE. But to Mantel's point of the song missing from the DVD, some songs can be used online or live, but not reproduced in DVD or like recorded materials.
mantel
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of mantel
Quote:
On 2011-05-02 18:13, mantel wrote:
Not to mention they still haven't indexed the Sessions and made each presentation available as a separate file and in a higher quality as promised. http://essentialmagicconference.com/news/40

It finally happened, each presentation available is a separate file. Although I can't tell if they're in higher quality. Not terribly convenient as there is only 40 days to go.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I'm in the process of reviewing the set now before I decide to recommend them and place them in my online store. I'm almost done with the second disc and.....so far...... THESE SUCKERS ROCK! Six more to go and I can not wait.

The material by Apollo on pick pocketing theory and technique as relates to magic is, considering the 20 minute time frame per presenter, just superb. But, so far every presentation has been useful. Quality is wonderful.

I try to remember to put on what I think when I finish the full series, but so far they exceed what I expected to find.

Best,
Brad Burt
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I am so excited for this years EMC on July 7, 8, and 9th! They have some AMAZING speakers again this year! Who else will be attending?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Finished watching the 8 dvds. Wow. Overall it's the most amazing collection of magic subjects, demonstrations, performance and lectures I've ever seen in one set of dvd or videos or whatever. The material by Ponta the Smith is superb and I've ordered his dvd 'Sick' on the basis of what he taught on the EMC dvds. Just superb.

If I was to look at it as if EMC was a type of convention the only weak point I could find was the amount of magic taught and generally the lack of depth in the teaching. Despite his lack of English Ponta's teaching was far and away the best. Gaeton Bloom was also superb. That's not to say that the material shown was not good. In almost every case the material that was taught was of a very high order indeed and most of it was in the VERY USEFUL category. It's just that the 20 minute time frame did not leave a lot of time to teach what in some cases was very, VERY difficult material. In almost all cases not for the beginner.

Would a relative beginner find these dvd's of value? Oh, my, yes! EMC, at least the first one, tended to focus on theory and philosophy of magic and everything I saw was just excellent. I plan on watching my set again right away.

The down and dirty is that the amount of useful material is almost stunning.

My favorites? Ponta the Smith, Mike Caveney's lecture on the Zig Zag controversy and the wonderful lecture by Guy Hollingsworth on the genesis and evolution of a trick of his and the wonderful material presented my Helder.

I can wait to actually catch the next EMC online as it happens! Very cool. Best,
Brad Burt
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1095 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I love these dvd's-- there are so many great thinkers here... what a great value.

I've been having fun with the Max Maven "res-cue" trick as well. It takes the "pick a card and find it" genre to another level!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of rjs
I signed up for next month's 2011 conference. If you pay a bit more, you get online access to last year's presentations!
I'm really impressed by the material so far.
I've sampled Max Maven's Res-Cue, Danni Daortiz 'pseudo-marked deck' routine, Anton Lopez' mysterious moving origami figures, Richard Wiseman's Telepath app.,Paul Kieve's theatre illusions anecdotes (yeah, I saw that revival of Agatha Christie's 'And Then There Were None' when the character vomits on stage...) and Eric Mead's sequences of Four Ace effects, trying to make a distinction between reacting to puzzles and reacting to magic.
This stuff kicked me in the head and made me re-think.
Based on the quality of the 2010 material, I would recommend joining up for July's conference.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Yikes....there is so much stuff that I forgot about the Eric Mead presentation! You are right it rocked.

Best,
Brad Burt
Luis de Matos
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portugal
76 Posts

Profile of Luis de Matos
Thank you so much for enjoying the EMC2010 DVD boxed set! Thanks Brad Burt for your amazing comments. It was like a jigsaw puzzle trying to fit all the sixteen hours of lectures and performances, plus PDFs, bonus footage and all the “Passion for Magic” videos you guys can find on the EMC website. The aim was to make use of every bit of space on the discs so that you can have the maximum content.

Very glad to hear that you are looking forward to EMC2011 (in about 10 days from now…) and that some of you already registered.

Steve Brooks was incredibly kind to invite me to join you here for this week. If you have a moment please drop by our corner at the café…

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......m=298&68

I’m answering all sorts of questions and look forward to the ones you might want to post there. See you…
ziplock
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ziplock
I signed up for the 2011 Conference but was unable to view most of it due to the streaming problems they had, and I haven't received my DVDs yet either. I've tried to get status info by emailing, tweets to @emconference and to @LdMatos asking whether they've been sent yet, but still haven't received any reply. There are no updates on the website about this, and nobody responds to me via the proper channels.

Does anybody here know the status of the DVD shipment, and who/how I can contact someone?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Essential Magic Conference DVD Set (8 DVDs) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL