The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blade Runner, The Sequel. Or The Prequel. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
"But from our point of view, the thematic core of the original movie — what does it mean to be a human being? — is even more relevant today than it was when the film came out."

What a crock! How does the most fundamental and most interesting question of human existence get "more relevant"? So if I buy an iPad 2, I'm likely to ask questions that would perplex Socrates himself?

Anyway, Bladerunner can't be improved on, so they're wasting their time.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I tend to agree with Stoneunhinged but who knows? Maybe something good can come out of it.

Bladerunner is one hell of a Movie. Thanks for reminding me of this Movie.
I'm going to Netflix to see if they have it.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 07:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
"But from our point of view, the thematic core of the original movie — what does it mean to be a human being? — is even more relevant today than it was when the film came out."

What a crock! How does the most fundamental and most interesting question of human existence get "more relevant"? So if I buy an iPad 2, I'm likely to ask questions that would perplex Socrates himself?

Anyway, Bladerunner can't be improved on, so they're wasting their time.

I agree with the wasting time comment, but I think that advances in biotech (e.g. cloning) may conceivably make it more relevant.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 07:19, stoneunhinged wrote:
"But from our point of view, the thematic core of the original movie — what does it mean to be a human being? — is even more relevant today than it was when the film came out?
you're quoting a hollywood producer, Jeff! Keep that in mind...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 01:03, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I agree with the wasting time comment, but I think that advances in biotech (e.g. cloning) may conceivably make it more relevant.

Agreed. The more realistic the possibities of making "replicants", the more relevant it becomes. But that speaks to the original film, not to any remake or prequel.

Anyway, I'm not against remakes per se. Just remakes of masterpieces. And even then I wouldn't disagree if the remake was somehow an artistic retelling of the original in an original way. You know, kind of like Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower". Works for me.

On a side note: it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it is, but surely it must have been one of those 80s comedies I was referring to in another thread. Whatever it is, it was a remake made of a classic, and my first thought was, "why in the world would anyone want to remake that?" It can't just be about the money, can it? Smile

And Gaddy: better a Hollywood producer than one of the actors.

I can just hear in my mind the DVD commentary of the Blade Runner prequel...Sharon Stone talking about how she got into her character to show a Rachel whose humanness projects through her replicantness, and how working with such a gifted and present leading man such as Leonardo [Dicaprio] taught her so very much about being in the now of spiritual oneness with all humanity....
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
In fairness, I thought Jet Li's "Fist of Legend" was at least as good as the Bruce Lee original. So remakes can be good. But then again, the Bruce Lee film was made for about 5 dollars in about 2 weeks, whereas Bladerunner...
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Blade Runner, The Sequel. Or The Prequel. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL