The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How are your services listed in the phone book? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Ventriloquists-How do you list your services in a phone book? It seems that there might not be a category as Ventriloquist. Do you then list your services under puppets?
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I personally don't use the phone book. Wish I could be of more help!

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Do they still print phone books?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Check out these threads in the "Tricky Business" section. Most acts no longer use phone book advertising.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44 (From 2008)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

If you have a business line and get a free listing - then I'd suggest thinking about the type of shows you want and placing it in an appropriate category. Entertainers, Entertainment, Party Services. I'd think few people would search out Ventriloquist or Puppet Show. Being seen among other acts with an emphasis on you being different is a good thing.

JMHO
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I list my services in the Yellow Pages under "Entertainers." Since my show is about 40% vent with the rest a combination of magic and stand-up, this works best for me.

I have never personally seen a category for Ventriloquists in the Yellow Pages in any city I have been in. They are all listed under Entertainers or Entertainment. I have four friends who have full vent shows and they are listed under categories. Incidentally, none of them do children's shows of any kind, and all make a nice living.

Doug
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 11:06, Doug Arden wrote:
I list my services in the Yellow Pages under "Entertainers." Since my show is about 40% vent with the rest a combination of magic and stand-up, this works best for me.
Doug

How much of your bookings come from the telephone book; relative to the other types of exposure available?

Google
Yelp
Word of mouth
Writing your name and phone number in the restroom
Etc.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Buzz:

Certainly fewer bookings now come from the YP than what did several years ago. More people now seem to be shopping on line as opposed to using the YP. Certainly that holds true for my target market, high end corporate. Having said that, I still get between $10,000 - $20,000 from the YP every year, so it's definitely worthwhile for me to have a presence there. And, if I look at all the work I have received from the YP over the past 15 years as well as the spin-off bookings that have come from those events, it's in the hundreds of thousands. In the end I think it still comes down to the market you're in and whether or not the YP is financially viable for you.

Although several entertainment agencies book me, the bulk of my work comes from word of mouth referrals, spin-off from previous events, and my website (Google).

I must remember to have a Sharpie with me at all times so I can start writing my name on restroom walls. Always lots of valuable things to learn on this forum!

Doug
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I am only in the Yellow Pages because I get a free listing with my business line. My bookings come by word of mouth or via the internet, and of course my own marketing.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 11:48, Doug Arden wrote:
Buzz:

I must remember to have a Sharpie with me at all times so I can start writing my name on restroom walls. Always lots of valuable things to learn on this forum!

Doug

Since you in the business of entertainment, I’ll give you an advertising slogan you can write along with your name and phone number on the walls .

“For a good time call Doug”

Then insert your phone number.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I like it Buzz. Getting my Sharpies and urinal pucks ready!
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-04 22:41, Doug Arden wrote:
I like it Buzz. Getting my Sharpies and urinal pucks ready!

Doug,

I am in San Francisco; I don’t know anyone that uses a phone book to “find it fast” everyone here uses a computer to look up vendors and purchase goods and services.

A segment of the population in San Francisco still will use the restroom wall as an alternative to Match.com and to solicit business.

Doug, May I use your quote as my new Magic Café signature?

I like it
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Buzz:

Go ahead and use the quote with my blessing!

I don't want to get into some lengthy discussion about the Yellow Pages. That subject has been beat to death on the Café in the past. For most entertainers, it doesn't seem to be effective. If something doesn't work for you don't use it. Pretty simple. It's still somewhat effective for me in that I generate a few thousand from it every year but as I said before, the bulk of my work comes from other sources.

Doug
c.mcbrien
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
52 Posts

Profile of c.mcbrien
We haven't gotten a phone book in ages...really! I don't think they print them around us anymore, and if they do, they definitely don't give them out like they used to!
"Drama and ego are great for the stage, but when I'm off the stage, I drop all that crap..and don't put up with any!"

http://www.chrismcbrien.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
We actually got the new phone book this week. It went straight into the recycle bin. I mostly use a cell phone with web browser - so if I need a number and know the company, I use information and they patch me through. If I need to find something, Google is on the browser.

I do agree with Doug - if it works for you, use it.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How are your services listed in the phone book? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL