The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Public Speaker I've Seen/Heard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 23:02, McAllisterMagic wrote:
Oh Reagan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7INABbOnLI

Okay - he was a bit howdy-doody - but he did seem to be speaking to/for traditional American values.
Just saying he projected a suitable and reassuring image to the public.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 23:00, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 22:26, landmark wrote:
Barack Obama.
And I say this as one who dislikes his presidency intensely.
His opponents knew he was a brilliant speaker, hence the "Teleprompter" meme.
But I don't think I've heard a better public speaker in my lifetime.
Good topic.

Yes, I have to admit, Obama is pretty good. But lets not get all Ga-Ga, Reagan was a far better speaker than Obama.

Can't agree with you there. Reagan was effective in an avuncular way some of the time, but quite often befuddled, where you'd have to pinch yourself and go, what did he just say?
The one politician who actually swayed me with his rhetoric was Jesse Jackson. He spoke in New York during a primary run for the presidency (I forget which year this was, maybe 1984?), and I had no intention of voting for him. After listening to him though, I voted for him. He was enormously charismatic in person then, and very persuasive.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Persuaded a lot of companies to pay him off I tell ya.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Obama. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-03-05 22:12, McAllisterMagic wrote:

William Cooper always pushed the envelope, great talk show.
He is missed for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsesnzDBvA

Oh yeah, I've heard of him. He's the 'free citizen' who shot the sheriff's deputy in the head in (I think) Arizona.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Get ready for the one legged excuse Balducci.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Winston Churchill. Greatest orator in history.
For those who vote for Obama, good grief. He is not a great public speaker at all. Yes he has smooth transitions from one thought to another without awkward pauses, but don't mistake this for good speaking. He employs endless umma and ahhs and says very little. His voice lacks emotion and passion.
On a list of world leaders judged by speaking ability past or present, he probably wouldn't make the list.
Sincerely , Rod
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 08:07, magicfish wrote:
For those who vote for Obama, good grief. He is not a great public speaker at all. Yes he has smooth transitions from one thought to another without awkward pauses, but don't mistake this for good speaking. He employs endless umma and ahhs and says very little. His voice lacks emotion and passion.
On a list of world leaders judged by speaking ability past or present, he probably wouldn't make the list.
Sincerely , Rod

Then imho, you miss the point of being a good or great speaker...

By your definition, James Earl Jones would qualify, which he doesn't... (Although he is a good orator.)

Obama, and other great speakers, is good because of those "weaknesses" you point out.

Imho...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Sorry Pakar, I respect your opinions, but that post made absolutely no sense.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I wouldn't dare put myself on any great public speaking list, but I do have two public speaking awards and was voted valedictorian my graduating year. So, pakar, I would argue that I do have a clue about public speaking. To the average voter, mr. Obama sounds like a real smooth talker, and he is. But a great public speaker he is not. In my opinion.
Rod
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 09:45, McAllisterMagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 08:31, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-06 08:07, magicfish wrote:
Sincerely , Rod

Then imho, you miss the point of being a good or great speaker...

By your definition, James Earl Jones would qualify, which he doesn't... (Although he is a good orator.)

Obama, and other great speakers, is good because of those "weaknesses" you point out.

Imho...

Obama really??

If he was a good president, he would have pulled his troops out of Iraq yesterday!

Well, now you're talking about something else altogether bro...

Strange to bring that up when we're talking about best public speaker.

I think you wanna talk about something else... But, that's another thread. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Yes, I think we're talking about two very different things. As I said, I don't agree with Obama's politics at all, nor as per Magic Santa's post do I think Jesse Jackson is the model of virtue. But I do think they are excellent speakers.

Churchill is another very strong candidate, most of whose views I don't ascribe to, though I think the intent of the OP was to pick someone somewhat more modern.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Obama has always reminded me of Bush 2. When he's speaking from a written speech he sounds very good. When he's speaking off the cuff he struggles to find the right words and many times doesn't.

I guess it depends on what your criteria is for a great public speaker. Is it some one who can read a speech well and sound convincing. Is it someone who can ad lib and say powerful things. I think there's many factors involved.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Zig Ziglar. The guy has a way to engage the audience, get the message across, get you to like him, and still do it with humor. Aside from that, Winston Churchill (the real one, not the one in "The King's Speech" Smile ).
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
When Obama speaks it is very contrived and inconsistent. Sounds like he's making it up as he goes along- too many ummms and ahhhhs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Public Speaker I've Seen/Heard (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL