The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Medieval Asian Sword Juggling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
There is an illustration in the collection of the Tokyo University of Fine Art. It is often cited by theater scholars, tracing the origins of Noh. One detail shows a sword juggler. I'd like to have it looked at by some jugglers for a change. If anyone is interested, PM me. Thanks.
aka Mike Booth
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Deleted post, file failed to attach, operator error.
aka Mike Booth
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
It's a challenge, but I figured out how to post some illustrations to Picasa. Have a look, tell me what you https://picasaweb.google.com/11136517998......MA#think.
aka Mike Booth
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Followed link just got a picture of you wearing something over your head
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 06:52, itshim wrote:
Followed link just got a picture of you wearing something over your head

Check your PM's
aka Mike Booth
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
I just checked that link again and now it seems to be broken. Hopefully this will work. https://picasaweb.google.com/11136517998......k_pulMA#
aka Mike Booth
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Obviously you can't tell much from an illustration by a non-juggler but the swords depicted would be very difficult to juggle. The centre of gravity (centre of rotation) of the sword would make it very difficult not to slice the juggler in the face. I know from having juggled Kebab knives (the long ones they use for slicing the meat for kebabs). That he is showering 5 is very unlikely, I don't know of anyone who can shower five clubs, although someone may be able to do this. I think it very unlikely that they could do it with a two sword balance. I would imagine that in reality there would have been a gimmick with the two sword balance. Whilst I know personally a couple of people that can juggle whilst balancing two clubs large end to large end, they are only juggling 3 objects and they aren't as cumbersome as swords. Aren't old illustrations fascinating in what they both show and pretend to show.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
I think a non-juggler might draw a 5 cascade as a five shower.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Most non jugglers can't tell you how many balls there are in the air.

Most non jugglers think a cascade is really a shower.

Only a real juggler can spot a reverse cascade.

Only a real juggler can spot a left hand shower.

Only a real juggler can tell the difference between a full shower, and a half shower.

Nigel is right, I have never seen anyone do a five club shower either.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
This is normal non juggler artist interpitation. Arms out to the sides and the props in a circle over them. I would guss the sword balance is a gimic.
and I think I saw some one do a 5 club shower last week, or was it 6?...
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
joe yang
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
296 Posts

Profile of joe yang
The challenge in reconstructing performances from old illustrations and journals is trying to figure out what was really happening not what the artists and writers think they are seeing.

The illustration of the two monks, one playing a drum and the other "juggling" is interesting too. The "juggling" monk has two sticks. They appear to be balanced on his finger tips. Beating a prayer with two sticks is an old ritual. If there is juggling going on, the fact the sticks aren't held in the monks fingers suggest he is spinning the sticks in between beats. It is certainly open to interpretation.
aka Mike Booth
Jacques
View Profile
Loyal user
North
206 Posts

Profile of Jacques
Old illustrations are filled with exaggerations and ambiguities, in Orient as well as in Occident. The artist may have aimed at representing an effect instead of an actual event with precision. It was a time before cinema; consequently figuring movement was through symbolic representation. We could consider the sword juggler image as a representation of throwing a single sword in a circle, hand to hand, while balancing two swords. However, we can see that the top sword doesn’t touch the other one balanced on the juggler’s forehead. Can we say for sure that he is balancing two swords or is the top sword a moment of the rotation of the thrown sword?
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Interesting...
It could just be one sword that is being juggled and balanced, like the previous poster said the illustration could just be showing the different movements of the sword.

I would think it impossible that he is juggling five swords in a shower over his head while balancing two swords. I think there is a lot of artistic licence there.

Phil
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Medieval Asian Sword Juggling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL