The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » OSCANN (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
Indigo
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Indigo
Sorry, that's just wrong. Spectator names a card and a number between 1 and 52, and on average once out of every 52 tries the card will be at that number, it's as simple as that.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Are you talking to me?
How so?
Think of it this way I write two numbers down.
both between 1 and 52.
what is the probability that someone else would write down the exact same numbers? 1/2704
Now say I write down 52 sets of two numbers between 1 and 52.
What is the probability that someone would pick pick two numbers that match one of the
two I have in my list of 52? 1/52

I do not understand any other way around that unless I am completely missing something.
If so let me know. I do not think I am.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
585 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Q: How many magicians on the Café with attention deficit disorder does it take to discuss, bash, praise, rip apart, make wild accusations, and do math about a trick?

A: Look..... over there.... its a bird!

:)
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Ha craig I am just interested in the problem now.

I am also assuming this is the probability before the spectator makes any choices
after that they are no longer probabilities
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Arios,

Let's assume you ask for the card first and then the number.

When the spec names a card it can be any card and the trick will work right? One out of 52 doesn't play into it because any card will be fine.

Now when they name a number it has to be the right number for the trick to work. So the trick will work one out of 52 times.

If you wrote down a prediction ahead of time (for instance "the spectator will name the two of diamonds and it will be found 24 from the top"), then had the spectator shuffle the cards and name one randomly the odds would be 52X52.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Exactly. That is what I said. I just thought Indigo was saying that was incorrect.

Then, Once the spectator starts making choices there are no probabilities involved.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If you wanted a trick where the odds are one out of 2704 here is one plot:

Ask the spec to name a card

Ask them to name a number

They count down and find that card at that number

The rest of the cards are turned face up and shown to be blank!
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Yes, or just have the card and number written down before hand. I was just trying to explain that.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I see that I jumped in without reading the previous page. Sorry arios you explained it correctly in a previous post.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Yes, but same idea to get the point across I still was not sure if indigo still thought I was wrong about
probabilities changing. You could just have the back be different then the rest. Either way the probabilities come out the same.

edit: lol the source of the confusion...
Indigo
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of Indigo
No, I was responding to the post directly before mine.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
It helps to think of just a two card deck: the AS and the 2S.

Now what is the probability that the AS is in position 1?
What is the probability that the AS is in position 2?

Ask yourselves the same questions for the 2S.

Should be all clear now.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
ACAAN is 1/52 period.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
Yes, except if they chose a card at any number and then the card they chose was a red back in a blue back deck then it would not be 1/52.
If you want to actually predict what the person will chose it is 'NOT' 1/52. I think this is where most people are getting confused.
It is 1/52 if there is no prediction.
JCheng
View Profile
Veteran user
313 Posts

Profile of JCheng
Yes, but we are talking about the "normal" ACAAN, nothing about prediction, red/blue back, blank faces, just the classic and pure ANY CARD AT ANY NUMBER.
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
I was just talking about ACAAN in general and explained both possibilities in previous posts.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On 2011-06-15 21:49, JCheng wrote:
Yes, but we are talking about the "normal" ACAAN, nothing about prediction, red/blue back, blank faces, just the classic and pure ANY CARD AT ANY NUMBER.

You, are talking about the "normal" ACAAN. There are many ACAANs and it's not always so clear for everybody. Anyway the distinction made between two broad categories of ACAAN may have helped to dispel the confusion about the probability of the outcome.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I think nearly everyone will agree ACAAN is "Name a card, Name a number, Deal deck find card at number". And the original post on math were talking about that trick, the additions were only added later on.

With a prediction, the probability of the prediction itself is 1/2704. However even predicted, the probability of the card actually being in that spot is still 1/52. If you only cared about the math, you would just reveal the prediction and forget the cards.

And if math made a good effect, then sympathetic cards must surely be the best trick ever! 1/52^52
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
What are the odds on a thought of card???? to any#
my effect "Arlene the physic Elephant" I can do this with out a miss, with a normal deck, that is shuffled by the spectator before the effect.Also no dupes or crimp cards and it is impromptu,
sounds impossible but it is true..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
arios0
View Profile
New user
Lexington, KY
84 Posts

Profile of arios0
That would be 1/52 still vinny. But, it does sound pretty awesome though. Do you have it published anywhere?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » OSCANN (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL