The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Plain silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
Other than Rices' or Pasilks where is the best place to purchase good quality working silks?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It depends on what you what to use them for as to what momme weight. I make 8 and 6 momme and some 5 momme silks.

Good quality silks is very subjective but I think you can check out what others say about my stuff. Prices and more information are available at the website.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
brian314
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
112 Posts

Profile of brian314
Richard,
What weight would you recommend for use with a hank ball and dye tube. Pardon my ignorance, but I am not that familiar with the various momme weights. I have mainly used Rices' silks which I have had for years, but I did not want to spend 15.00 a silk. I was looking for good quality that would be a little less costly. Somewhere around the same price as a gallon of gas! Which could be the same as a Rice silk shortly. I will certainly check out your website.

Thank you,
Brian
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
Richard Hughes gets my vote. He made a couple of silk effects for me in the past and they were first rate!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Brian, read the post Bob referenced and there are some others that you can search and read.

Dye tubes come in all kind of sizes, Rice's Simplex, Johnson Dye tube, Baker style tube, etc. I am going to assume that you are doing a smaller dye tube like the Simplex. Five or six momme work best. There are pros and cons to both.
Six momme takes a little more space as there are more thread in it. It tends to give a little more color saturation because of the few more threads.
Five momme will pack tighter. Still has a good color but not quite as intense as 6 momme. Five momme is every bit as strong of silk as 6 but because of the smaller number of threads, they tend to shift a little more quickly than 6 momme. It makes it look like a run in a woman's hose.

Billy McComb used 6 momme in his half dyed hank. Others have went to 5 momme to fit a larger silk in the gimmick or just use one gimmick.

Rice only made 6, 8 and 12 momme silks. I would guess that you are using 6 momme silks.

I can supply either to you. I do not have the 5 momme prices on the website as I do not normally stock them but I can get them for you. They would be a little less than the 6 momme.

You might want to try one of each or a set of each to see what would work best for you. Hank Balls again are either 5 or 6 momme. Depending what you are doing with the silks after production, you could go to diamond or half silks to allow more silks to be loaded.

I hope that helps.

Drop a line if I can help further.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Remember that Rice on page 8 of his encyclopedia recognized China silk as the best. However, it was not legally available in the USA while he was alive. His silk had to come from Japan. Now we export silk from China to Japan too. (We only export 5 momme silk!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Plain silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL