The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » When they don´t emerge as planned. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
The pro´s will have more than likely had the experience of a subject not emerging as planned and remaining in trance.
In my pre-talk I tell people that it´s impossible to get "stuck in a trance" but from what I´ve read sometimes there are what can appear to audience members to be "hiccups".
- Subjects that don´t emerge when the wake-up is done.

Again, from what I have read, the recommended procedure is to quietly say something like this to the subject:

"I know you are enjoying this relaxed sensation, but if you don´t wake-up when I count to three, I promise you that I will never, ever take you back to this beautiful place again. If you ever want to return to this wonderful place and feeling then you had better wake up when I count........ [insert normal wake up patter here]"

But there must be cases when even this patter hasn´t "snapped them out of it", so I´d like to hear from people who have encountered this problem and how they went about solving it. Obviously there is the option of sitting with the subject until such times as they "come to". But if there are any other techniques that people have used then I´m sure a lot of us could benefit from the sharing of this information. I´d rather not have to sit with someone whilst telling a concerned friend or relative that "sometimes this happens" or "he/she´ll wake up in his/her own good time". Whilst these words may be 100% true, I don´t believe that they convey a sense of professionalism to the audience and friends/relatives of the subject.

Please, keep replies on topic, there are plenty of other threads where insurance and risks are covered and debated in great depth.
Any input on the matter of problematic emerging greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Sorry, after having hypnotized thousands of people, I've never had one not emerge from hypnosis. If someone resists, the speech you described has always been more than enough, although I had a trainer say he head to whisper to someone, "If you don't come out when I count to three, I'm going to hump your leg like a dog in front of everyone!" He claimed that worked like a charm.

For private hypnotherapy, I prefer, "Yes, this hypnotic state is wonderful. Please come out of that state when I count to three. If you choose to stay in hypnosis that's fine, but remember that I charge by the hour."

As I said, I've never had anyone get "stuck." I've never seen anyone get stuck. I've heard stories, but I've never experienced it.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
I was at an NLP conference where this happened. A young lady who had been put under didn't wake up when instructed. The practitioner starred to panic a little, another came forward and tried some other suggestion - nothing!

After about 5 more mins I walked up and flicked her on the forehead. She woke suddenly and I quickly calmed her and suggested everything was ok. Later I took her back in with the pre talk that her sub clearly needed to resolve some issues but it would be able to do it in exactly 60 seconds. 60 seconds later she woke up without any intervention.

Hypnosis is creative.... Be creative!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I've never encountered that problem, except once when someone was stoned, fell asleep on the stage, and was carried off by his friends and left to sleep it off on a snooker table in the pub!
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Well put, Zerububle! It also points out an important point: when a person is coming out of hypnosis they are still in a highly suggestible state.

Tony presents another reason not to use drunks or stoners in acts.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had a guy who started the show drunk and ended the show not drunk. It was odd to say the least.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
830 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 15:32, Dannydoyle wrote:
I had a guy who started the show drunk and ended the show not drunk. It was odd to say the least.

You must have had a really long show.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
hypnomagic
View Profile
New user
UK
33 Posts

Profile of hypnomagic
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2011-03-08 15:32, Dannydoyle wrote:

Hi Danny, this happened to me last week doing a forces show. In the 90 minute show he sobered up due to the activity and time on stage. I wasn't going to use him and had him sat at the end of the row ready to have him leave but once the induction got going he was great. He couldn't understand after the show how he could be sober.
Shane Masters
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
157 Posts

Profile of Shane Masters
I avoid drunk people. Never had a problem with them as I do not use them. Some people will have differing opinions/experiences. A couple drinks actually makes a better subject in my book, but, I do not mess with full blown drunks.-Shane
The Cerebral Assassin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » When they don´t emerge as planned. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL