The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Online Stock Trading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Hey guys.

I have been starting to take more responsible steps to making a better and more secure financial future for myself and was looking into different Online Stock Trading sites and programs.

Wanted to see if anyone on the Café did anything like this and had any advice.

Thanks!
-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There are two sort of separate themes in play here; one pertains to your knowledge about what to buy, what to sell, and when to do either. Assuming you have the knowledge base to make the appropriate decisions, then you'll want to focus primarily on keeping your transaction costs down (which is IMO the primary benefit of going with an online account). Compare the current rates, and make sure to watch for certain requirements you have to meet to get a certain rate (e.g. X's rate is better than Y's, but only if you make 50+ trades per month; don't get hooked into that (unless the requirements are consistent with your normal volume).

To the extent that you're asking about gaining the information to enable you to make your own decisions well enough that you'll benefit from the lower transaction costs, I'd look for free learning resources online, and suggest a couple - Morningstar (www.morningstar.com) and Motley Fool (www.fool.com). There are also quite a few great books; I like most of the stuff put out by the Gardners (Motley Fool), and Peter Lynch (One Up on Wall Street, and Beating the Street - each worth its weight in gold).
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I've done my personal banking with one bank (BMO) for many years (decades) and when I started online trading I stuck with it ... it's okay, no real complaints ... but if I was to do it over again, or start up a new account, I would go with this group:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/

Interactive Brokers covers most markets (over 90! markets worldwide), has good commissions, and good trading software. A friend of mine has been using it for many years, and I am impressed with what it offers.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:

Wanted to see if anyone on the Café did anything like this and had any advice.

Vegas baby!
You know why don't act naive.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 18:26, balducci wrote:
I've done my personal banking with one bank (BMO) for many years (decades) and when I started online trading I stuck with it ... it's okay, no real complaints ... but if I was to do it over again, or start up a new account, I would go with this group:

Interactive Brokers covers most markets (over 90! markets worldwide), has good commissions, and good trading software. A friend of mine has been using it for many years, and I am impressed with what it offers.

I'm also a fan of IB, but it can be a confusing platform if you're relatively inexperienced.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A lot of day traders are broke for a reason. My brother in law decided that he was no longer going to be an engineer but be a day trader. He watches the same TV shows the other day traders do, makes the same moves, and makes the same amount of no money. I would suggest a mutual fund and just put money into it and let them manage it. If you get one of the good ones you'll build up money over the years and very happy at the end of the day and have less stress.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
My son made a good deal of money trading online. The downside was that he spent a lot of time researching and trading. He had to stay on top of it constantly. He's a police officer and he had no free time.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That may be better, the smarter they seem to think they are the more trouble they get into. Not everyone loses money but a lot do. I'm too dopey to do it.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 18:26, balducci wrote:
. . . I would go with this group:

Ninety factorial is a lot of markets!

;)

I've done a lot of research on financial websites, and find that many (most) tend to have a mix of good advice and bad advice, a mix of financial understanding and financial misunderstanding. For example, Interactive Brokers has this definition of beta:

Beta
Beta serves to measure the expected return of an individual stock relative to that of the equity market as a whole. The beta of the market itself, by definition is 1 and the beta of an inividual stock may be higher or lower as well as negative. If the expected return of the market is 6% and a particular stock has a beta of 1.5, then its expected return is 9%.

Apart from the spelling and punctuation errors, that last sentence is, simply, wrong. It shows a fundamental misunderstanding of the Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM).

Don't get me wrong: I think that Interactive Brokers is generally a good site, but I cringe every time I see a site that offers financial advice making a hash of fundamental financial principles.

(In their defense - well, sort of - I have a list of about 50 other financial websites - including Investopedia, E-Trade, J P Morgan, Citigroup, and other well-known names - that also don't seem to understand what beta is.)

One of the best places to discuss financial ideas and get advice from people who do not have a vested interest in (mis)leading you is a forum not unlike this one, located on, of all places, an automotive website: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/forum/179-money-and-investing/.

(Full disclosure: I am one of the moderators on that forum.)
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
The game's rigged against day traders- the big brokers have high speed connections and can move large volume trades much, much faster than the little guy on his cable modem.

I just let Chuck handle the investing for me, and worry about other things. My Schwab account did pretty good last month, so they must be doing something right.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"However, the vagaries of luck, or chance, have impressed the professional card player with a certain knowledge that his more respected brother of the stock exchange possesses, viz. manipulation is more profitable than speculation; so to make both ends meet, and incidentally a good living, he also performs his part with the shears when the lambs come to market."

S.W.E
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 10:17, EsnRedshirt wrote:
I just let Chuck handle the investing for me, and worry about other things. My Schwab account did pretty good last month, so they must be doing something right.

Chuck's on my list, too. Here's what they have to say (errors highlighted):

Beta

A statistical measure of a security's or portfolio's volatility (price fluctuations) relative to the market as a whole. (The beta of the overall market is defined as 1, and is represented by the S & P 500® Index over the last 36 months). A security with a beta of 1 indicates its price moves exactly with the overall market. A beta greater than 1 is more volatile than the overall market, while a beta less than 1 indicates that the security's price is more stable than the market (in general and over a long time period).

Again, Charles Schwab is quite good, and has some good advice, but errors like this from companies that should know better are, in my view, inexcusable.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Take a beta blocker.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have lots of idea running through my head. I just want to try and get a leg up for when my student loans come at me. Plus To just start planning ahead. Day trading is something that would go great with my acting and theatre work when I have down time (between jobs).
But I feel like I would also just like to just start investing in general- which couldn't hurt.

I really appreciate hearing what you all are doing and what people around you are doing. It's nice to hear perspectives on this choice.

-Jacob
I've been training these cards since they were small.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh, you don't want a real job, see, that is different, go for it. My brother in law doesn't want a real job either.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 13:48, Seeker wrote:
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I have lots of idea running through my head. I just want to try and get a leg up for when my student loans come at me. Plus To just start planning ahead. Day trading is something that would go great with my acting and theatre work when I have down time (between jobs).
But I feel like I would also just like to just start investing in general- which couldn't hurt.

I really appreciate hearing what you all are doing and what people around you are doing. It's nice to hear perspectives on this choice.

-Jacob

If your intent is daytrading on the side, those had better be REALLY good acting gigs.

It's an industry that doesn't treat hobbyists well.

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 18:42, LobowolfXXX wrote:
If your intent is daytrading on the side, those had better be REALLY good acting gigs.

It's an industry that doesn't treat hobbyists well.

That's harsh, Lobo.

PS - How do you get a million-dollar portfolio by day-trading?

(Start with a two-million-dollar portfolio.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Online Stock Trading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL