The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Harry Lorayne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Wow! I've been working cards most of my life (36 now). I can say reading and seeing a lot of material out there. If you want to get down to business with excellent card material; this is the guy. The material he puts out cuts out the B.S. For once in you life you can sit down and really play with a deck of cards. Great stuff and the routines flow in and out of each other.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Right on!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Indeed.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 19:07, kasper wrote:
Wow! I've been working cards most of my life (36 now). I can say reading and seeing a lot of material out there. If you want to get down to business with excellent card material; this is the guy. The material he puts out cuts out the B.S. For once in you life you can sit down and really play with a deck of cards. Great stuff and the routines flow in and out of each other.

Kasper,
Mr. Lorayne is one of the legends of our art to be sure. In fact, I would place him alongside Vernon, Marlo, and Hofzinzer as being the most influential card magicians of the modern era. The thing is, Harry Lorayne is no slouch when it comes to close up magic in general. While cards are his forte, he will hurt you with non-card effects as well. Mr. Lorayne learns virtually every effect in every book he writes in addition to creating his own. So imagine Apocalypse for example: 2880 pages of magic, and Mr. Lorayne did the write-ups for 90+% of the effects in that massive collection alone. Considering his clear teaching style, you can rest assured that any effect taught by Harry Lorayne has been mastered and field tested by this great man as well. We are blessed to have him here. I have said in other threads that having him here would be like having Sir Paul McCartney in a music forum. The thing is, the biggest guns in music do not hang out in music fora. Yet Mr. Brooks, et. al, have provided a place where the best of the best are accessible to us. Just take a look at the archive of Special Guests!

To keep this strictly a card magic post, I would offer that one of the most devastating sleights ever created, the HaLo Cut, has made miracles possible from a technical standpoint.

I just returned from NYC and I had hoped by some divine intervention that I could have met the man at Tannen's or Fantasma. Alas, no luck. But, his writings make me feel as though he is here mentoring me.

Best,
Vlad
caruk
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of caruk
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 22:34, Vlad_77 wrote:

We are blessed to have him here.

Amen.....
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Yes! He's put out an amazing amountcof great material.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
I just got his Classic Collection books 1 & 2 in my mailbox today and don't have to work tomorrow.
I can hardly wait to dig in!
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
Here we have a forum where you can ask a question and have it answered by Harry Lorayne. I still haven't quite got my head round that.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On 2011-03-07 19:07, kasper wrote:

No disrespect - but tell us something we don't know mate!

If you've been 'working with cards most of your life' and only just got enthusiastic about Harry Lorayne's material, then I have to ask..., which Desert Island were you shipwrecked on?
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Ah - well. Why not big Harry up. He is, indeed, a genius and we are lucky to have him here.

It'll be the Paul Gordon fan club in the next thread. Another great writer, and very similar to Mr. Lorayne.

Hmmmm - just a thought - Has anyone seen Harry Lorayne and Paul Gordon in the same room?
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Paul and I are friends, Roger. We've spent quite a bit of time together, so I assume we have been "seen." hl
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'll bet Harry! I wished I was there.

So similar styles was my point - Both of equal influence in my card magic education.
kasper
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kasper
Yeah I know Merc Man. Ive studied Harry's material before. I got side tracked wanting to get better with other hobbies; like Djing, hynotism, mentalism. I wasnt putting new card material in my repertoire for a long time. Getting back into learning new material made me realize how much his material flows. I guess Im coming back and wanting to be REALLY good with cards. Of all the material and books I have around here I realized how well this material was. I knew it was good ;now Ive seen its real good. I just haven't had time to really DIG into it. I know its probably old news to the experienced hardcore card guys. Just got excited and wanted to share.

haha Deserted Island? That would be nice. but I would to put some people on here and maybe rule with these effects.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
For those who only "know" Harry from his books may I suggest searching his name on youtube and seeing some of his effects performed by himself. I bet you'll appreciate him even more.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Picard - you raise a very good point. Seeing Harry perform - well what can I say other than I don't think you'll ever see a better performer/entertainer with just a pack of cards. There's a clip on YouTube of Harry performing for laymen in a Café - it's the real thing (and shows how card magic works for real people - instead of the sterile, fake, 'cardboard cut out' L&L audiences!).

Kasper - glad you saw the funny side and didn't take it personally (as some do with our patronising English wit on here).
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
DelMagic
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of DelMagic
I saw Harry lecture a long time ago, maybe 25-years or so. It was the single, best magical performance I have ever seen in my life.
dscanning
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of dscanning
When Harry dies, they should put his brain on display at the Smithsonian. Of course, they will need an entire wing to house it. He somehow has learned to use his brain like no other man before him. He leaves quite a legacy.

Doug Canning
Markkuhn2
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Markkuhn2
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 15:53, Merc Man wrote:
Kasper - glad you saw the funny side and didn't take it personally (as some do with our patronising English wit on here).

Hey Merc Man I used to work for a British company here in the U.S. I am VERY familiar with the English Wit. Kept me on my toes all day, that's for sure!
Markkuhn2
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of Markkuhn2
I just recently bought Apocalypse after watching Harry blow me away on his DVD set.
The HaLo Cut RULES!!
Once again, can you tell I'm a fan?
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I started with three books - Expert at the card table - The stars of magic and Harry Lorayne's close up card magic. I have been a Harry Lorayne fan as long as I have been doing close up card magic. And there are more Harry Lorayne routines in my show - since day one - than any other.

His books are "highly recomended."

I hope this helps.

Cheers!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Harry Lorayne (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL