The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tin Cups Revival (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It's very interesting about craftspeople. I've known a lot of them, both from the Renaissance festival circuit and from magic conventions, etc. Some of them think that because you are a magician that you don't want to pay a decent price for their products. So they don't want to bother with us. If they only knew!

I'll bet that if I told this glassblower that I would be willing to pay him, say $300 each for the Roman style cups, he would get on them in a New York minute.

At the Largo Renaissance Festival in Florida, there was a glassblower who was very talented, but who simply did not know how to pitch to a crowd. So I would go over and bark for him. His name is Don Bagwell. I did this out of the goodness of my heart, because I knew how talented he was. At the end of the festival, he presented me with a large glass goblet in cobalt blue with stars and crescents in gold on it. This was 30 years ago. I still have the goblet.

When I taught English for Berlitz, one of my students was the Vice President of Vitro, a huge glass company in Mexico. I brought the goblet to one of his lessons. He was amazed that there were people in the US who could do this. He said, "This is museum quality!"

I treasure it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Those cups look great in copper Bri. I imagine they will look excellent when the copper darkens and blends into the soldier more lines more.
"There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip..." -English Proverb
leaycraft
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of leaycraft
Just ordered mine and a few other things as well. Projected delivery time is mid June: I have a feeling it will be sooner but even if its not I'm excited and glad I'm getting them - really am excited . john
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." A. Conan Doyle," The Sign of Four"
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
Senseless gibberish that amounts to
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Bri, Your cups look great in copper. I'm hoping mine will be ready this week!

Jorey
"I've always been mental, I'm sure of it" Boris Pocus Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I missed the copper cups picture. I think once you've purchased it, it disappears from the website. Bri, I'll look forward to seeing them on your website.

-Brian
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi Brian,

At the left hand column, choose "83 sale"' Tag, the number may change when more sales take place (just below the "items for sales" tag. The first item is BRI's copper cups

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
Hi Francis,

Thanks. Very nice cups Bri. You'll be happy with them.

-Brian
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Todd suggested that I share photos of the Tin Cups I had made… I had Win apply an antiqued finish to my set; I am very pleased as to how they turned out.

Now I just need to find the time to acquire the period style balls I want for them.

Todd, thanks for sharing the source for the Tin Cups, I can’t say that they will be my go to set, but they look fantastic on display.

Thanks,
Bruce

francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi Bruce,
Now I wish I took a set of this finish, IMHO, the contrast makes the final loads look desiredly stunning in performance, Beautiful!

Francis
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Francis... Maybe if you want that finish your set could be sent back to Win for an application. I have a 100 year old pie tin that has the same patina color as the Tin Cups; the only difference is the color is not as shiny and has a bit of a texture to it. I am most interested in Bri’s copper set and wait to see how they turn.

Shiny our treated the Tin Cups are pretty cool either way.

Take care,
Bruce
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
I chose the antique finish on mine as well and they're being shipped this week Smile

"Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny". . .Bruce Springsteen
lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
That finish is really nice. Anyone order a set in brass yet? interested in how those will look.
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Quote:
On 2011-05-16 10:56, BCS wrote:
Francis... Maybe if you want that finish your set could be sent back to Win for an application. I have a 100 year old pie tin that has the same patina color as the Tin Cups; the only difference is the color is not as shiny and has a bit of a texture to it. I am most interested in Bri’s copper set and wait to see how they turn.

Shiny our treated the Tin Cups are pretty cool either way.

Take care,
Bruce

Thanks Bruce, you are right, they do look dignified amongst other cups.

Francis
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Mine came today. Antique finish. Truly a great cup. My only complaint is tha due toi theur proper construction my final load balls don't fit. So I am now in search of new ones. A 4 3/4 oz. Cricket Ball seems to fit so I'll have to see if I can get 3 of them someplace cheap.
Though I might just give balls of yarn a try.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
afinemesh
View Profile
Inner circle
2621 Posts

Profile of afinemesh
Mine came last week as well with the antique finish. Very nice cups. Now to find period balls!

lint
View Profile
Special user
Concord, CA
967 Posts

Profile of lint
Period Final load Balls:
http://zearticles.com/103748-homemade-juggling-balls.html

Fill with animal hair or sawdust.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Todd... thanks for posting the link for the juggling balls; now its just finding the time to complete another project. I purchased some juggling balls that are vinyl or plastic that kind of looks like leather. I plan to scuff them up some and age them with some shoe polish. They will do until I can purchase or make the real thing.

Thanks,
Bruce
Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
My cups arrived today. Wow!!!!
These are a real value for the money, excellent craftsmanship.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
Phil... Cool, what will you use as balls with the Cups?

Thanks,
Bruce
Philtrum
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Philtrum
I haven't decided yet, I have a drawer full of balls to experiment with. I do like the look of the period balls so I may look for some of those.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Tin Cups Revival (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL