The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
What are salary ranges for professional magicians?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
How much you got? Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Any where from very little for a part time magician to tons for the few who make it big.
Wes
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Six figures...if you have something to sell (you) as well as good marketing skills..
http://louserranomarketing.com/
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Six figures doesn't really sound unobtainable for an ambitious, motivated and skilled performer.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 22:29, gaddy wrote:
Six figures doesn't really sound unobtainable for an ambitious, motivated and skilled performer.

Who has real talent, real showmanship, a lot of business savvy, and a huge ton of luck. Otherwise like the actors in equity in New York, 90% of them make under 5,000 a year, and of the 10% who make more than that, 90% make their money in commercials.

Don't do magic for the money, if you do, you will never get the money. Do magic because you love magic, then you might actually make a few bob.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 22:33, Father Photius wrote:
Quote:

Who has real talent, real showmanship, a lot of business savvy, and a huge ton of luck. Otherwise like the actors in equity in New York, 90% of them make under 5,000 a year, and of the 10% who make more than that, 90% make their money in commercials.

Don't do magic for the money, if you do, you will never get the money. Do magic because you love magic, then you might actually make a few bob.

That is one of the best reply I ever saw in the green machine over all these years!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I mean no disrespect when I say that It doesn't take a huge ton of luck to make good money doing magic...

We should be very careful before attempting to define why someone should, or should not, do magic -if someone want to do magic specifically to make cold, hard, cash... Then they are feel free to make the attempt.

One of the great things about magic is that it's big enough to encompass everyone -from birthday clowns to David Copperfield, from the Masked Magician to back-room card sharps, and there's really nothing anyone can say about it.
Johnny Butterfield
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of Johnny Butterfield
Quote:

Do those six figures include cents?
The current economic crisis is due to all the coins I've vanished.
The poster formerly known as Fman111.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Folks,

Not sure what Caféinst is looking for, except that he/she may be thinking of performing for a living. The responses to this point seem fair and reasonable. But the questions I have are, how old are you and what is your peformance level? What is your goal? Not that age has a difference but business acumen does, and that usually come with experience.

So far, I haven't been paid a single dime for my magic shows. Not sure I want to earn money at it simply because of the the important business decisions involved, ie., insurance, taxes, travel, expenses, schedules, and you name it. OK, so I've only done about a dozen shows, and I'm retired and don't do it for income. And I only started with this a year ago after many years of magic as a hobby. And I'll never be good enough to make a living at it. But do I have fun? Yup! Do I make folks happy? Yup. Do I have goals? Yup, to learn cups and balls and linking rings this year so I can bring more smiles and applause. The folks I perform for will eventually figure out how much I'm worth by asking me to do another show for them. And that friends, is the key to the answering of the question asked: How much are you worth? Not how much you can earn, but how much are YOU worth?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
If you are looking to make a living out of Magic, I suggest getting the Jim Snack Ebook. He is a member of these forums, you will see him lurking in the "Tricky Business" section.

If you are a beginner then you should be starting out doing shows for free for friends & family, then with confidence for charity shows (churches, nursing homes, etc).

With experience, you might want to start charging for your time. $50 - $100 to start with. Then with more confidence you could continue putting your charge up to $150, then $200. Add in travel expenses.

Generally speaking, if you are charging much more than $200 then you are up with the professionals. They are most often between $200 - $1000.

Then for the stars in the business, you are talking many thousands per show. It really depends on what level of expertise you are in the field.

I am currently charging $200 - $250 and been in it casually for 6 years. It's a part time professional gig for me. During the peak season I am doing 2 or 3 shows a week and it is a great extra source of income on top of my main job as a tradesman. And the main benefit for me is like Bob1Dog - the enjoyment of it!
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
"Salary"?? Most magicians I know of aren't on salary - they rarely even get paid an hourly wage.

We generally get paid by the job. And when that job's over, you're unemployed again.

Try using the Google-based http://www.searchthemagiccafe.com and look for "how much to charge". It's been discussed all over the place.

Ed
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2011-03-08 16:50, Caféinst wrote:
What are salary ranges for professional magicians?

I am sure you can find this information in many statistical books and/or websites to get a general feel on what the "reported" average. The information already posted above is pretty good too.

Just from a general look you can see that the range is simple to see:

0 to Millions(think Copperfield, Angel, Blaine).
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"You're only as good as your last show" -anon
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
To answer your question, it is possible to make a living at it. It just depends if you want to live good or not. Work harder and smater you'll make more $$. That's what I hear, anyways.
Life of Magic!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
On 2011-03-09 17:29, Leland wrote:
...it is possible to make a living at it. It just depends if you want to live good or not...

ROFL! Excellent response!

Many years ago a wise old pro told me, "If you're not worth $100 dollars, then you're not worth $25!" Adjust for inflation from 1975 and you have a ball park.

Like anything else, you’re worth what the market says you’re worth. You might need to look at other markets (locales) if your home turf won’t support you. How you present yourself is also a modifier. Past clients and referrals also help. In other words (and pretty much as has already been stated), it depends; $0 to $Millions.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
4005 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I think you may be looking for concrete suggestions?

You're getting general answers because you haven't given us anything to go on. Do you do children's shows? Adult? Walkabout? Stage? Mentalism? Comedy magic? Where are you located? Maybe you might want to do some research with local performers doing what you'd like to do.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

My books are here: www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
You can greatly increase the value of your cash by using a TT.

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
You can greatly increase the value of your show by pickpocketing
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
cafeinst
View Profile
Elite user
489 Posts

Profile of cafeinst
I'm an amateur magician. I did shows for money as a teenager, $30 a show in the 1980s, but now I don't have time, because I have a fulltime government desk job and a wife and small children. I was just curious if I could make more as a professional magician than what I do now.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How much money? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL