The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cannibal by Kevin Reylek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi everyone.  I just wanted to share with you that my new DVD, Cannibal was released last night.  After a few years of hiding behind the camera on DVD productions, I’ve finally stepped out in front of the lens to share this routine, which has really served me well.  I hope you guys enjoy it!

You can learn more at http://www.thebluecrown.com and http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
I had the pleasure of seeing Kevin perform this routine, and it's very good. It's a very clever — and logical — take on Lin Searls' "Cannibal Cards" plot even as it completely revamps and changes the handling and even what happens in the trick. At the end of the routine I looked at the card with my signature on it and the torn off corner and was fooled.
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
I had the pleasure of previewing this effect before the official release, and I gotta say it's an outstanding effect! Here's my review of it:

Effect - The performer has a spectator choose and sign a card. After the card is lost in the deck, the performer then introduces a “cannibal card”, which is a card that eats other cards. The cannibal card then vanishes from the top of the deck and is found in the middle next to a card that has a corner missing. The card with the missing corner is revealed to be the spectator’s chosen card. The performer then takes the cannibal card and rips it in half to reveal the missing corner which is found inside the cannibal.

DVD Contents:
Performances
History
Gaff Construction
The Original Handling
A Simplified Handling
A Face Up Handling
Other Tips
Credits
Bonus Artwork (DVD-ROM files you can open on your computer)

Review:

I was never a fan of destroying cards for a trick. I was also never a fan of “torn corner to impossible location” type tricks. I never liked that trick because there was no justification as to why you’d only vanish the corner of a card and make it appear elsewhere. However, Kevin Reylek took that routine, combined it with the storyline of the Cannibal Cards, and made the routine make sense. And thus, Cannibal was born.

The DVD:

Kevin dives deep into the history of the Cannibal Cards and how he came up with his method and credits everyone that inspired this routine. You can tell that Kevin really did a lot of research for his routine to make sure that everyone was credited.

The teaching that Kevin provides is awesome. He goes through how to create the gaff (which is a method that many magicians should be familiar with) step by step with clear instruction. I was terrible with using this method before, but with Kevin’s instruction I am now able to make these gaffs in about a minute. He also goes through the routine step by step and gives some tips along the way. He also includes a simplified handling for beginners who would like to perform this routine and a face up version which is a condensed (yet more visual) version of the routine. Not to mention that this handling is great for those times when you don't have a table handy. All in all, the instruction for each method is easy to follow and is very straightforward, so there’s no excuse for anyone to not be able to learn this awesome routine.

The Gaff:

The gaff is really easy to make. All the materials you need are regular household items and if you don’t have what’s necessary (you will probably have some form of the materials at home), you can buy everything for a couple bucks at Wal-Mart. You can also keep it with the rest of the deck and have no worries about the gaff being detected.

Bonus Artwork: Kevin has included some artwork of a "Cannibal King" and a "Danger" label within the DVD that you can open on your computer at home. He goes over what you can do with the artwork toward the end of the DVD where he talks about other tips for the routine. Personally, I won't be using it (mostly because I don't own a printer), but it's a really nice addition for him to include with the DVD.

Conclusion:

Overall, this is a great debut release from Kevin. The routine gets an overall great response from spectators (not to mention passed the “girlfriend test”!) and for the price, you get a well justified corner to impossible location and a literal cannibal card routine. This is a routine that I’ll definitely add to my repertoire.
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Great review once again! I have been doing this routine lately and I literally can't believe the reaction...and I really am not just saying that. It becomes a mad house once you start to tear the card for the finally haha Smile
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words so far. I had a blast showing this at nemcon this weekend! I also wanted to share some comments that were posted by a user over at the Blue Crown forums:

"hey guys

I just got cannibal by kevin reylek in the mail today and it is awesome!

the trick is completely logical in every way unlike other card corner to impossible locations.
- the card corner is in the card because it ate it, it makes perfect sence.

during the trick thier are 2 moments of magic. the first being the corner is missing off the selected signed card and then the second being the corner appearing inside the cannibal. so that is very nice, they think the trick is over thann BAM!

the thing I love most about this effect/dvd is that there is tons of possibilies performance wise and method wise so it is very easy to "make it your own".
the first idea that came to me was combining the trick blueprint by chris kenner with the face up version saying the cannibal will eat the selection when the card goes under it.

I cant wait to perform this tomorow at the farmers market it is definetly one of my favorite tricks already . I give it my highest recomendation especially for only 20 bucks

I realize this was more of my thoughts than a review so if you have any questions just ask

-max"
Kevin Reylek
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Owen Magic, years and years ago, marketed their "Cannibal Cards". I almost wore the set out and finally sold them at a magic auction in Ft. Worth last month after finding them at the bottom of my "don't use anymore" case. It was a very clever routine with several "reveals", but I love the ending of Kevin's version....makes a lot more sense and is a much bigger ending. Hope to see a set of these soon.
Success to all.
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Jhard, your absolutely right! I myself usually never do gimmicked card tricks, however, this routine really gets good reaction and I consider it a perfect laymen trick. you have to be careful when performing though because the kings sometimes bite your fingers..so...yeah..lol Smile

Alex^
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Howdy folks! I just wanted to share that Cannibal is now available at Penguin Magic, in addition to The Blue Crown and The New York Magic Project.

Thanks to all for your feedback and support, it means a lot!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
110 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
I got the dvd today, and I really enjoy the effect. Have been making up a bunch of gimmicks, and I am looking forward to get out and test it, and if it plays well for me, it will go straight into my walk-around repertoire!

Thank you
-Johannes
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2402 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
How long does it take to prepare a card with a corner piece imbedded inside?
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
The preparation of the card takes less than 1 minutes, kevin shows you step by step to prepare cards for the effects, and how to structure everything so you know which piece is in which king!

Alex
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Johannes - I have a feeling that once you try it out, you're going to find yourself making a lot more gimmicks! Smile

Paul - As Alex mentioned, making the gimmicks is very quick. Even if you go slowly, each one should only take about 2-3 minutes max, and you can definitely do them faster once you get the knack for it.

I make them in batches while I watch TV, I usually make at least a dozen at a time.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Here is a tip when performing this that I have been doing lately. I put the warning label that comes with the download/DVD around the box. I then have the four kinds in the box and tell everyone I leave all the kings in the box because there cannibals bla bla bla...and then have the spectators choose which king to use. They can choose any which one since I have prepared them all the same way. This also is good to do if you want to repeat the effect. Now you can do it 4 times! Good stuffff

Alex^
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2402 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Alex,

Nice idea.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey folks. This just went live over at Murphy's, so dealers everywhere will have it very soon for your convenience!

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Cannibal by Kevin Reylek (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL