The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Coin Waltz by Alex Pandrea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Iíve been working closely with my friend Alex Pandrea on his newest DVD for awhile now.† Last night, Coin Waltz was finally unveiled.† This is a really fun twist on the Anniversary Waltz plot, where 2 signed coins merge into 1.† This has gotten really good responses at Alexís lectures over the past few years, and Iím excited that itís now going to be shared on a wider level.

Please check it out at http://www.thebluecrown.com and http://www.newyorkmagicproject.com

Thanks!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
I also had the privilege to preview and review this effect from Alex. You can read about it here:

DVD Contents:

Performance
Gimmick Construction
How to Use the Gimmick
The Coin Waltz routine
Impromptu Coin Waltz
Coin Through Hand/Other Ideas
Bloopers

Coin Waltz is a pet routine of Alexís that he has kept to himself for a few years now. To sum it up, Coin Waltz is Anniversary Waltz with coins. The spectator signs one coin, another spectator signs another coin, and you take both coins and as you click them together, they merge into one coin and you can see both signatures on each side of the coin, all of this seemingly without any cover of the coins and in front of your spectator.

The gimmick used for Coin Waltz requires a little bit of arts and crafts skills, but itís nothing difficult. Alex provides one of the materials needed with the DVD, and youíll probably have everything else needed at home (if not, you can pick them up at your local store for a few dollars). Alex goes over how to construct the gimmick step by step and as you follow along, youíll have your very own gimmick to use for Coin Waltz.

Alex then teaches you how to use your gimmick and how to hide it when itís not in use. Thereís a few different ways to hide it, so thereís something for everyone. As far as using the gimmick, itís pretty straightforward and easy to do. I donít think anyone should have any trouble using the gimmick.

The next section is the instruction for the Coin Waltz routine. As Alex teaches the routine, he will also include some subtleties that you can use while he is teaching. The routine itself is really easy and Alexís instruction is so detailed that if youíre a beginning magician and this is the first trick that youíre going to learn, you wonít have any trouble practicing it after Alex is done teaching. For you people who arenít a fan of gimmicks (or if you just donít happen to have the gimmick on you), Alex teaches a closed-handed, impromptu version of the routine. Granted itís not as visual, but itís still the same basic effect.

Alex also goes over some other ideas that you can use with the Coin Waltz gimmick. Some of those ideas include coin through hand, using the gimmick for a switch, and my personal favorite, coin through hand/table/glass. This goes to show that the Coin Waltz gimmick is really versatile and Iím pretty sure that you can come up with your own ways to use the gimmick.

All in all, Coin Waltz is a routine that is simple, straight to the point, yet itís also very hard hitting. The gimmick that you make can be used for other routines and is easy to keep hidden in plain sight. This routine is a great representation of Alex and the way he thinks, and Iím definitely looking forward to the other products that he and the rest of the artists at The Blue Crown will come out with in the future.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4251 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Thank you for the review. I purchased this yesterday and cannot wait to receive it in the post along with cannibal. I might have to pick up centrifugal.
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Yey! We have had such a great response on this one. Thanks so much for the review! Blindside...you should receive the package soon, so come back and tell us what you think Smile

Alex^
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
I too had an opportunity to see Coin Waltz pre release and it is very clever. All of the necessary moves are motivated and the effect could not get much cleaner. Making the gimmick is not difficult and should last a very long time. It's worth the effort. Nice job Alex!

Max
Martin Adams
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Martin Adams
Is it work with any currency?
Max Krause
View Profile
V.I.P.
I should be creating magic with my
1190 Posts

Profile of Max Krause
Martin,

Any Coin. However, the quarter size coins are going to give you the best overall results.

Max
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Martin, as Max mentioned any coin will work...for the coin waltz routine I perform it with a quarter, since that would be the most common coin to borrow. I have done the bonus routines with gimmicks made from other coins though..half dollars even. Thanks for the inquiry, and if you have any other questions just let me know!

Alex
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Any reviews from buyers of this?

Thanks,
Mike
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
MSD921, you can check out solareflipz review on this thread, or here are just a couple of what the buyers are saying about it on our site:

"Alex really goes into detail on this to make sure you understand everything about the trick. Great teaching, simple usable magic at its best!"
- stevethemagicguy

"I believe this effect is very clever, the price is perfect for this effect and the quality of the video is very, very, very good. He gives you all the tips and handling on how to use this diabolical gimmick. 2 thumbs up one of my favorite effects!"
- Patrick Duff

Thanks everyone! So glad everyone is liking this!

Alex^
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4251 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I got this a few days ago in the mail along with cannibal. The blue crown is top notch.

I haven't had time to si down and practice because of finals... But I should because I want coin waltz to become a part of my usual set of tricks.

Simple sleight of hand.

Visual and practical. Hard to come by these days.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I picked this up from Alex and Kevin this past Saturday at NEMCON XXX and got to hang with them a while. Good guys and great at demoing their stuff...had I not bought enough stuff that day I'd have picked up another item from them as well. Check it - I HATE making gimmicks when I buy effects - total turn off for me...but you can't get any easier than this, $2 (tops) and 5 minutes (tops).

I like the DVD, it gives a lot of info and detail as noted above (no need to repeat - it was accurate). I've some work to do and a question or 2 for Alex to ensure I can perform the main effect and the extras in the real world as I want and expect to - but let me tell ya, this is worth it. I DON'T buy a lot of new magic. I've been working on the same routines for 7ish years and only adding a few new things here and there. Glad this is one of them.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks to all for the kind words, this DVD was definitely a long time in the making and we're glad to see such a positive response. Mike, it was great to meet and hang out with you on Saturday! Looking forward to hearing some performance stories when you get a chance!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
Sounds like a winner! Wonder if it would work with foreign coins?
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Yes, you can use just about any coin you want. In the states, using a quarter is great because they're so easy to borrow. But it will work just fine with loonies, toonies, euro, etc. Something similar in size to a US quarter or half dollar will work best.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Quote:
On 2011-03-16 23:26, MAKMagic wrote:
I picked this up from Alex and Kevin this past Saturday at NEMCON XXX and got to hang with them a while. Good guys and great at demoing their stuff...had I not bought enough stuff that day I'd have picked up another item from them as well. Check it - I HATE making gimmicks when I buy effects - total turn off for me...but you can't get any easier than this, $2 (tops) and 5 minutes (tops).

I like the DVD, it gives a lot of info and detail as noted above (no need to repeat - it was accurate). I've some work to do and a question or 2 for Alex to ensure I can perform the main effect and the extras in the real world as I want and expect to - but let me tell ya, this is worth it. I DON'T buy a lot of new magic. I've been working on the same routines for 7ish years and only adding a few new things here and there. Glad this is one of them.

Hey man, ya it was good hanging this past weekend. Shoot me an email at ap_magic1@yahoo.com or through facebook is best and I'll help you out with whatever you need! Thanks again

Alex^
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2115 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey everyone. I just wanted to share that this has been picked up by Ellusionist, so loyal customers over there can grab it from them.

I had a blast performing and demoing this at the recent NEMCON and LIMAC conventions, where it was one of our best sellers.

Thanks to all for the continued support!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
682 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
I purchased the download of this, but had problems. I emailed Alex to ask for his help a few days ago, but have had no reply!

Its a pity, as the products look good - just hope the customer service improves!

Iain.
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Iain! Please check your email. You should have an email that will fix the problem. Don't worry, we did not forget about you! Thanks for your patience, and if you have any other problems, please don't hesitate to contact us. If you wish to contact me personally next time you can try alex@thebluecrown.com instead of using the "send us a message" on our page. Thanks again and enjoy the download!

Alex^
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Rabid
I took a look at this yesterday (but only got a quarter way into the DVD as I was working) and have to say it is really very clever, super simple to make and...well...just one of those effects that makes you smile as you see how it's done and then makes you start to think of all the things you can try with it. I'm looking forward to making one up and playing around with it...gonna' be fun.

Top job guys...really well done.

Steph
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Coin Waltz by Alex Pandrea (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL