The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repeat Performance? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Just did a show, and now being called on to “do it again”.

The show was mentalism, but I’m putting this in the general stream because I think it’s applicable to all.

Some of the same people will be in attendance, and I don’t have enough material yet for a completely different act. I was planning another show for next month, but not next week.

I have a few things that weren’t in the first show, but many of the major effects will play the same. I can alter some of the themes, but it will be 67% the same show at this point. Not saying I’m not ready, but this would be a repeat.

What are some opinions on the Café? Should I let this one go and stay on schedule? Or jump in, since (this time) it will have better publicity.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3897 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Nope. Presenting material that is rushed or thrown together is nearly always a mistake. I'd wait until you have something new to show them. They'll wait. OR call it an "encore" presentation -- with a few new miracles. That way they know what to expect.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Yep. See? I knew that. Just needed somebody to slap me around a little Smile Thanks, David!

Having' way too much fun here!

also on FaceBook
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Hey, you were called back for one reason: your act. Obviously, someone somewhere liked your act a lot. Stick with it, you'll be fine.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There are acts over thirty years old still being performed by very successful magicians. People wold not even buy recordings if they were uninterested in ever seeing the program again.

As an old booking agency owner, I can assure you that our best advice to pros is perform your greatest hits (again!) and if there are not enough of your greatest hits to fill the show, perform someone else's greatest hits. Uniqueness and originality are for magic club meetings and not for working professionals.

~~~ Remember: There are only 88 keys on any piano! ~~~

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
Quote:

~~~ Remember: There are only 88 keys on any piano! ~~~

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

And even fewer magical effects: vanish/produce, transpose, transform, levitate, penetrate, mutilate/restore and psychic/mentalism. We're more like guitarists, playing an endless number of songs with five strings (or in this case seven). Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I agree 100% with the above advice. Just ask whomever booked you "is there anything I did that you want me to keep in the show?" That way you won't eliminate an effect that he/she's already told everyone about, and they expect to see during your encore.

Jim
sleightlysilas
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sleightlysilas
I don't claim to be a mentalism expert. I'm a professional novice at best, as far as the subject matter is cocerned.

However what I notice with pretty much all magic is that most of it is the same effect, just in a different package. I'd say this is more prevalent in mentalism if I'm not mistaken, and if I am, do say so.

Like a bi**et for** could be done straight up mind reading, or you could do word association or body language or remote viewing. Same effect, but a totally different audience experience. You would most likely know this a whole lot more than I.

But just as my humble suggestion, perhaps a repackaging or a reframing of your current act, a new theme or direction, might net you a completely new performance In the audience perspective?

Hope that helps.
Sleightly Silas
Magician|Hypnotist|Visionaire
www.SleightlySilas.com
"...a little bit of magic,
with a lot of something else..."
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Yes, thanks! That’s pretty much what I’m planning anyway. Somebody estimated that there are fewer than a dozen actual “things” that magicians do (appearance, vanish, transposition, etc.) but hundreds of ways to dress it.

I used an I.D. in a way that made it a miracle of “Hypnotic Regression”. I’ve run into the guy who was my volunteer for that one and he’s still wondering how he “knew” that card. Another one used a very simple f**** deck but I’m still hearing about it from several directions (including people who weren’t even at the show). I’ve now assembled 16 more so I can do that one over and over without repeating.

Oddly, my one real “killer” that I was so very proud to have figured out, while it was amazing at the time, hasn’t gotten much comment. Go figure.

A couple will be completely new (with one particular one dropped for sure), but most will be redressed. Cold reading is always fresh, as long as I keep picking from different demographics.

I just wasn’t sure how prepared I could be on short notice. I decide to wait, and am now happy that I did. It’s looking now like this will be a regularly scheduled event. Next one will be on April Fools Day, and I’m trying to think of ways to tie that in. Easter’s coming up, too, and I may have a few people hide personal items inside plastic eggs just for fun.

BTW, Silas, I like the logo on your site. Very sharp looking.

also on FaceBook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Repeat Performance? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL