We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best decade for comedy in the movies (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
All great movies....I heard they are remaking Arthur.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Heard that too. Have not seen Devil Wears Prada, because I am a heterosexual.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Yes, with Russell Brand...should be interesting. He's a funny guy. The other interesting thing is that Hobson is going to be female (!!) - Dame Helen Mirren. Also, Nick Nolte as the murderous would-be father in law, Burt Johnson. Man, if Nick Nolte took the knife out of the cheese around me, I'd marry anyone he wanted me to.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5930 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:04, critter wrote:
It doesn't sound like you know what the movie is about.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The Devil Wears Prada is a good movie.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 12:44, stoneunhinged wrote:
Right. That's the topic. I'm not sure whether it's a good topic, but I'll start.

The 1980s.

At least, that's what I arrive at when considering all the DVDs I own. Start a year or two early to get in Animal House, and maybe add a year or two, and you've got a good decade with some excellent comedy that hasn't gotten old.

Compare it to modern humor: I just don't laugh. I watched The Hangover a few days ago and only laughed out loud twice, which for me is pretty weak.

So it's the 1980s.

IMO.

I love you all.

Now I'm curious...what two parts of The Hangover made you laugh out loud?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:52, motown wrote:
Quote:

Yeah I do: Woman stuff.
~Will Rogers
clownybeth
View Profile
Regular user
Western Wisconsin
106 Posts

Profile of clownybeth
You're right: The Hangover wasn't funny. I didn't laugh during Knocked Up either. The only recent movie that I found hilarious was Superbad. It was raunchy, but I laughed so hard that I had Sprite coming out of my nose.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:00, MagicSanta wrote:

I saw the coming attractions the other day (while watching The Adjustment Bureau--snoozer alert!). It looks dreadful, it looks . . . let me put it this way, after two minutes of previews I was actually begging for Dudley Moore to come back to life.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 02:18, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:00, MagicSanta wrote:

I saw the coming attractions the other day (while watching The Adjustment Bureau--snoozer alert!). It looks dreadful, it looks . . . let me put it this way, after two minutes of previews I was actually begging for Dudley Moore to come back to life.

That's worth hoping for anyway...hell of a talented guy who died a nasty death too soon.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Hm, off the top of my head? The first was when they were driving up to the school and the one guy says he's not supposed to be there. When he says "...or Chuck E Cheese", I laughed.

The other was the line, "I didn't know they gave out rings in the Holocaust". Bad joke on paper, but delivered perfectly.

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and the situation was humorous. I just didn't laugh at most of the jokes. Then again, I suppose I laugh a stupider sort of humor.

80s highlights for me (some films, like Animal House, would fit into more than one category, but I won't repeat the titles):

College themed movies: Animal House, Back to School (with Rodney Dangerfield), Revenge of the Nerds (both I and II).

Films with SNL veterans: Caddyshack, Fletch, Bluesbrothers, Ghostbusters, Fletch, National Lampoon's Vacation (all of them), This is Spinal Tap

John Hughes films (need I say more?)

Zucker, Abrahams, and Zucker films (though the last Naked Gun film was in the 90s)

Those are just sub-categories of 80s classics that I'm particularly fond of.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 13:37, GlenD wrote:
See The Roommate, now that was really funny... Must have been the people I saw it with, once one person starts laughing it's all over and everything seems funny.

I had that problem with, of all things, "The Muppet Movie." Saw it on opening day at the Paramount Theater in New York City. It felt flat, not as wild as I'd hoped it would be. A few months later, I saw it again at the World Science Fiction convention in Boston. I was amazed at how much better the film seemed. Of course, being with an audience that knew what was funny and wasn't afraid to be seen laughing at it didn't hurt!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
I had that experience with the second Austin Powers; opening night, the theatre was full of people who loved the first one, and it was a riot. It even got a round of applause at the end. That atmosphere can't be recaptured.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 00:04, clownybeth wrote:
You're right: The Hangover wasn't funny. I didn't laugh during Knocked Up either. The only recent movie that I found hilarious was Superbad. It was raunchy, but I laughed so hard that I had Sprite coming out of my nose.

Superbad was the funniest out of those three. I liked Pineapple Express as well. Remember laughing a lot at that.

30s. When the Marx brothers were funny.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5930 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 00:04, clownybeth wrote:
Superbad was great!!!
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5930 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 23:01, critter wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:52, motown wrote:
Quote:
No, not really.

Yeah I do: Woman stuff.
– Karl Germain
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 05:43, stoneunhinged wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-10 19:56, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Hm, off the top of my head? The first was when they were driving up to the school and the one guy says he's not supposed to be there. When he says "...or Chuck E Cheese", I laughed.

Yeah, they have a few allusions to Alan's past with kids...one of my favorites, that slipped on by until I considered in light of the line you cited and a few others, is when he says matter-of-factly that he's found a baby before, and Stu asks him where. "At a Coffee Bean." Ummmmmmmm yeah...presumably when his mom went to the counter to pick up her frappe.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Devil Wears Prada: Anne Hathaway (chick) gets a job under Meryl Streep (chick) at a fashion magazine (chick or metrosexual.)And there's romantic stuff. Total chick flick. If you like it, good for you, but don't try to push it on me. Makes me want to see it even less.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-11 14:01, critter wrote:
Devil Wears Prada: Anne Hathaway (chick) gets a job under Meryl Streep (chick) at a fashion magazine (chick or metrosexual.)And there's romantic stuff. Total chick flick. If you like it, good for you, but don't try to push it on me. Makes me want to see it even less.

Just because Stanley Tucci's character's family wouldn't accept him because of his sexuality doesn't mean that would happen to you.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
My family already knows I'm a deviant.
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best decade for comedy in the movies (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL