The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What it feels like to be hypnotized (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
hypnokid
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of hypnokid
Hello Mark

What is "the power of suggestion"? What is needed to make it work? Do you have to believe in it? Smile

HK
Too much style to be a stage hypnotist.
tom stewart
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tom stewart
Mark, our knowledge of science and understanding of consciousness has moved on since the times of Ben Franklin, although I do somewhat agree with you on your concept of the verisimilitude of the subject.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
No. Ben Franklin got it right in the first place. The only thing that has moved on since then is the power of waffle. Proof of that is the hypnosis section of the magic Café.

And since Hynokid in his signature declares that he has too much style to be a stage hypnotist then there is no point me telling him what the power of suggestion is. There are lots of people here that know lots of big words who will explain it to him. I will give him an example though. If I say to him that he is feeling itchy and he starts to scratch that is the power of suggestion at work. And he doesn't have to be in a trance for that to happen. Or if Potty the Pirate talks about nose emissions in his awful kid show and you snort in disgust as you certainly should, then that is also the power of suggestion at work.
tom stewart
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tom stewart
Mark I respectfully disagree. As much of genius as Franklin was he, and his peers, had no access to the type of equipment modern psychology uses such as electroencephalography (ECG) which allows us to see the exact timing of electrical activity in the brain as opposed to the case studies of unfortunate souls such as P.Gage. These new techniques allow us to explore and better understand how human consciousness works and has resulted in exciting projects such as IM-CLeVeR, a pan european study to create robots that mimic learning as a human would. The basis of science is not waffle but testing hypothesis and using popper's falsifiability, this it why it only took 66 years from the Wright Brothers to Apollo 13.
best wishes
Tom
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Mark, did you actually READ the report? The committee did NOT investigate hypnosis. They wanted to investigate Mesmer and Mesmerism. Mesmer wouldn't be tested by them so they got someone else. Sort of like testing bananas to see if they had the qualities of oranges. The report, translated into English, appeared in Skeptic magazine several years ago.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I don't give a stuff about all this new equipment. Scientists thought Uri Geller was genuine too which shows how clever the silly twerps are. I bet they hooked him up to machines too. Using big words is all very well. I prefer to use common sense. If scientists honestly think that people looking for their lost belly buttons and talking the Martian language are not well aware of what they are doing then they need to be hooked up to machines themselves to have their brains tested.

Since Benjamin Franklin was one of the cleverest men of his time and since I, MARK LEWIS am obviously one of the cleverest men of my time it is perfectly obvious that hypnotism is a load of old cobblers.

Besides one of the greatest hypnotists of the 20th century, Paul Goldin told me it was all baloney and if he didn't know nobody did.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Ahem...
tom stewart
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tom stewart
Mark, you comment that scientists thought geller was genuine which shows how clever the silly twerps are (sic) is not logically sound. To judge all scientists on this observation is the same logic as my cat has 4 legs, this dog has 4 legs therefore my cat is a dog. Your opinions on new technology and equipment are of no importance because they do not change the validity of the results from the experimental design. As for awareness may I present the analogy of a dream where one also can undertake seemingly ridiculous actions whilst retaining a degree of consciousness that makes the aforementioned action seem reasonable. Also your proclamation that Paul Golding revealed this to you is a classic case of Ipse Dixit. To further continue the Latin theme I will offer you the common sense advice of Boethius; "Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
Tom
hypno_mentalist
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of hypno_mentalist
Mark lewis seems to be under the "aura of paul godwin " .. he has quoted him million times ... lol .. been devouring this thread in the last 2 weeks.. sick of him damping spirits of people who wanna explore hypnotism in depth , even I have experienced fab results inspite of venturing into this 2 weeks ago " ..... back up what you say with personal experience instead of dhv urself by saying how many "GREATS " you know .. am not saying this to neg you , but to stop quoting others ..

am excited abt this.. gonna order trilby connection next week.. this will take my game 2 next level )
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
What it feels like to be hypnotized?

It feels quite nice actually.

Very relaxing. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
We have had two responses on this matter. One from someone who can write in understandable English and use big words and one from possibly an acne ridden teenager who can't express himself very well. In other words a posh intellectual type who is nevertheless talking nonsense and a more dimwitted type that is talking equal nonsense.

Both have mispelled the holy name of Paul Goldin wrong but obviously the more illiterate of the two chaps has made the bigger of the two mistakes.

Let me deal with the posh chap first. I must inform the gentleman that I do not understand a word he says and would appreciate it if he does not address me in Latin. Only the Pope speaks Latin after all so perhaps the remarks should be addressed to the Vatican instead of me. I am always amused when obviously university educated people chatter in Latin to show off how knowledgable they are. I am afraid I went to a different university known as the University of Evil where we were taught to know the difference between the real thing and the not so real thing. And I learned a long time ago that people who cannot find their belly buttons are not the real thing. However, if the posh chap wishes to discuss this matter with other posh chaps he can chatter to Dr Graham Wagstaff of Liverpool University (I believe) or Theodore Barber, Peter Blythe, Nicholas Spanos, Irving Kirsch, William Coe, Theodore Sarbin and other assorted posh people, psychologists and professors who believe the concept of hypnosis is absolute fiction.

Now I do realise that the odd one or two of the above list are now in the spirit world but do not despair. In my capacity as a Psychic Reverend and spiritualist medium I can put you in touch with them for a small fee.

I am sorry that Paul Goldin's opinion is not good enough for you despite the fact that he was possibly the greatest stage hypnotist of the 20th century. Perhaps Kreskin's opinion might be more suitable for you. He has on many occasions said publicly that hypnosis is bunkum. Now some have said to me that Kreskin says this for showmanship purposes so possibly the opinion of the exalted Gil Boyne might be better since he didn't want his opinion made public. Still when Mark Lewis gets hold of information it is worse than Wikileaks. Martin Breese told me "Gil Boyne sat in that very chair you are sitting in and told me that hypnosis was baloney". And Boyne wrote all those learned articles full of posh language that could even outposh Mr Stewart. Come to think of it so did Paul Goldin. I will admit, however, that neither of them could speak Latin.

However, there is one opinion that even supercedes the opinion of all those legendary hypnotists and psychologists. That is the opinion of MARK LEWIS. That should obviously be gospel and no other discussion is necessary.

Now to address the rather working class illiterate chap I am afraid I do not understand a word he says even though he is not speaking Latin. The only thing I can figure out is that he seems to be saying that I lack experience in this matter. I must admonish the child that I am MARK LEWIS and I have "hypnotised" hundreds of people and I know the difference between people who are in a real trance and those who are daft enough to think they are.

I am getting a horrible feeling that this young man is one of those daft "Street Hypnotists" who accost innocent passers by and do odd things to them. I would suggest he seeks a deeper education in these matters by reading a book entitled "They Call it Hypnosis" by Robert Baker and published by Prometheus Publications. Alas I think he may not be able to understand all the big words therein but I am sure Mr Stewart will. This book explains in posh language that "hypnosis" is a load of old cobblers.

Alas there seems to be no Latin in it at first glance.
hypno_mentalist
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Woww... you seem to have a lot of time on ur hands.. ) ... a simple question , you believe in god ?? .. iff yaa, why
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Of course I believe in God. I look in the mirror every day and admire him tremendously.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:
On 2011-07-04 17:16, Mark Lewis wrote:I am MARK LEWIS and I have "hypnotised" hundreds of people and I know the difference between people who are in a real trance and those who are daft enough to think they are.

How do you identify those in a 'real trance' Mark?

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
hypno_mentalist
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-07-04 17:16, Mark Lewis wrote:
We have had two responses on this matter. One from someone who can write in understandable English and use big words and one from possibly an acne ridden teenager who can't express himself very well. In other words a posh intellectual type who is nevertheless talking nonsense and a more dimwitted type that is talking equal nonsense.

Both have mispelled the holy name of Paul Goldin wrong but obviously the more illiterate of the two chaps has made the bigger of the two mistakes.

Let me deal with the posh chap first. I must inform the gentleman that I do not understand a word he says and would appreciate it if he does not address me in Latin. Only the Pope speaks Latin after all so perhaps the remarks should be addressed to the Vatican instead of me. I am always amused when obviously university educated people chatter in Latin to show off how knowledgable they are. I am afraid I went to a different university known as the University of Evil where we were taught to know the difference between the real thing and the not so real thing. And I learned a long time ago that people who cannot find their belly buttons are not the real thing. However, if the posh chap wishes to discuss this matter with other posh chaps he can chatter to Dr Graham Wagstaff of Liverpool University (I believe) or Theodore Barber, Peter Blythe, Nicholas Spanos, Irving Kirsch, William Coe, Theodore Sarbin and other assorted posh people, psychologists and professors who believe the concept of hypnosis is absolute fiction.

Now I do realise that the odd one or two of the above list are now in the spirit world but do not despair. In my capacity as a Psychic Reverend and spiritualist medium I can put you in touch with them for a small fee.

I am sorry that Paul Goldin's opinion is not good enough for you despite the fact that he was possibly the greatest stage hypnotist of the 20th century. Perhaps Kreskin's opinion might be more suitable for you. He has on many occasions said publicly that hypnosis is bunkum. Now some have said to me that Kreskin says this for showmanship purposes so possibly the opinion of the exalted Gil Boyne might be better since he didn't want his opinion made public. Still when Mark Lewis gets hold of information it is worse than Wikileaks. Martin Breese told me "Gil Boyne sat in that very chair you are sitting in and told me that hypnosis was baloney". And Boyne wrote all those learned articles full of posh language that could even outposh Mr Stewart. Come to think of it so did Paul Goldin. I will admit, however, that neither of them could speak Latin.

However, there is one opinion that even supercedes the opinion of all those legendary hypnotists and psychologists. That is the opinion of MARK LEWIS. That should obviously be gospel and no other discussion is necessary.

Now to address the rather working class illiterate chap I am afraid I do not understand a word he says even though he is not speaking Latin. The only thing I can figure out is that he seems to be saying that I lack experience in this matter. I must admonish the child that I am MARK LEWIS and I have "hypnotised" hundreds of people and I know the difference between people who are in a real trance and those who are daft enough to think they are.

I am getting a horrible feeling that this young man is one of those daft "Street Hypnotists" who accost innocent passers by and do odd things to them. I would suggest he seeks a deeper education in these matters by reading a book entitled "They Call it Hypnosis" by Robert Baker and published by Prometheus Publications. Alas I think he may not be able to understand all the big words therein but I am sure Mr Stewart will. This book explains in posh language that "hypnosis" is a load of old cobblers.

Alas there seems to be no Latin in it at first glance.

""Now to address the rather working class illiterate chap"" ""I must admonish the child that I am MARK LEWIS and I have "hypnotised" hundreds of people"" ""Alas I think he may not be able to understand all the big words therein ""

just for the record, I graduated with a 'distinction degree' in computer engineering from one of the top most colleges in my country . gonna do my mba soon .. am anything but illiterate .. whts ur credentials mr ??

SO, IF U CALL HYPNOSIS CRAP .. U R THE ILLITERATE ONE Smile , who made his bread and butter being the "self proclaimed" king of crap ...

btw, if you look in the mirror all I said is a very old man who thinks himself to be very wise & gets kick out of undermining others... hve a nice day MR MARK LEWIS
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Again I have tilted at this idiotic windmill many a time.

Fact is Mark freely admits in hypnosis. "Those daft enough to believe the are in trance" is what the rest of us call hypnosis. He LOVES to start and argue this point. In the end you guys are arguing semantics plain and simple.

Further, WHO CARES?!!!!!!!!!1
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Quote:
On 2011-07-05 09:29, Dannydoyle wrote:
Again I have tilted at this idiotic windmill many a time.

Fact is Mark freely admits in hypnosis. "Those daft enough to believe the are in trance" is what the rest of us call hypnosis. He LOVES to start and argue this point. In the end you guys are arguing semantics plain and simple.

Further, WHO CARES?!!!!!!!!!1

I´ll drink to that Danny!
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
Oh, I don't care either and Danny knows that full well. I am just bored at the moment because the gospel section doesn't seem to want me.

And my answer to Anthony is that NOBODY is in a real trance anyway. There is no such thing. Just lots of daft people who THINK they are in a trance!

As for the rather odd illiterate chap his credentials don't impress me. After all, they are American credentials and of course they don't count.
tom stewart
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tom stewart
Thanks danny doyle, I've gathered that this guy is a numpty.
*Mark Lewis*
View Profile
V.I.P.
1325 Posts

Profile of *Mark Lewis*
I have no idea what a "numpty" is. I rather think this rather odd chap should speak Latin again. And I am afraid he is not as posh as he used to be. There is supposed to be a Capital D in both Danny and Doyle. I am now beginning to think he is not university educated after all. Unless of course it is an American university and of course if this is the case it would explain things.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » What it feels like to be hypnotized (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL