The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My new website - all about SEO (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I have a new website, but don't visit yet, read on:
The very first time you visit any website, the loading time will be longer than subsequent visits. I've just built a new site using HTML, not "flash". This, in theory, should load very fast in almost any browser. But, before you rush to see it, can I ask you, if you're indifferent, please, wait, your input might be very valuable as I progress this, and discover later on how fast your browser loads this website for the VERY FIRST TIME.
I have tried to make this website "user friendly", and it's going to load super-fast into your browser, so hopefully after clicking on the link it should appear within 2-3 seconds. (My "flash" websites can take 20 seconds to a minute or more to load, apparently). I'd like Magic George, Starrpower, and other very frequent contributors to go ahead and click, but please, if you're not a "regular" here, refrain for just a couple of days so that you can be the next wave of informers. I'll tell you all shortly, it's about SEO (search engine optimisation).
My first question is: "how long did it take fot the website to appear?". Then, of course, I'd like to know if the content is good, so when we have established the loading time, feel free to go ahead and check out my new site.
I want to know every minor criticism you may have, please don't hold back.
Thank you all in advance, Doug
:)
Please visit my new website: http://www.childrensentertianersussex.co.uk
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Web-site not found

Writing in HTML is no guarantee it will load faster. We used Dreamweaver for the grunt work, fine-tuning it to optimize SEO with a string of words (birthday party, kids, Kuwait, UK, magic). This worked well even in countries with low speed internet like Kuwait. (Yes, we're both ICT-geeks)
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

What's going on?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Aha! I spelt it wrong! Not enterTIAner, enterTAIner!
http://www.childrensentertainersussex.co.uk
That should do it!
:)
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
As quick as any web site. A couple of seconds. Are all your animations in HTML if not they wont work on an iphone or ipad.
I'll check all your videos later.
Nice looking site.
Colin
http://www.aceofdiamonds.co.uk
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Ok, that worked and it loaded instantly on a slow BT Broadband connection (104 mbps)in rural Essex.

Lots of words - but all info needed for booking is there and easy to find.

Points to think about
(1) Do you need the same picture Of Stinky the Rat three times on different pages? Or could you use one of you AND Stinky?
(2) who are the referees?
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Under a second on both pc and phone. Most sites do though on our broadband etc even flash ones.

A well made flash site won't have loading problems. If the images are created with vectors then the file size can be less than jpgs and gifs etc. There are still search engine issues with flash though, I believe. (Of course, you can use small amounts of flash in conjunction with html). Flash not yet on iphones is probably the biggest worry nowadays. However I was interested to note that your parrot doesn't poop on my phone either! Which is weird because animated gifs used to work on my crappy old phone. Maybe they're phasing out animated gifs. Noone seems to use them anymore.

Good luck on your SEO. I looked into it quite a bit when making my site. There seems to be so many different rules and ways to give it a boost in the engines that it's hard to know what to concentrate on. I always try to think of things from the customers perspective and imagine what they would type into a search engine if looking for an entertainer.

I'm amazed how may folks still don't really mention where they are based on their websites! Surely even if a customer neglects to type in an area as soon as they are confronted with results from all over the world they'll start adding locations/area to their search.

I like your site Doug. It looks clean (apart from the bird poop) and easy to use.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Doug
Your old site loaded in about 15 seconds, and was far too busy. This new one loaded in a couple seconds and it easier on the eyes.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Thanks for helping out guys. It seems like the PRIMARY concern (loading time) is fixed. As Al says, 15 seconds to load for my old site! That's WAY too long - many, if not most, clients, would simply navigate away before the site appears.
I've also found it MUCH easier to make this site look "kid-friendly". The flash website builder I was using was all very fancy, but I never got around to putting in suitable backgrounds and a good header.
There's still a lot of fine-tuning to be done - I built the website in one day. But thanks for pointing out the repetition of photos. This, and the text, needs to be fixed. It's a shame that Google likes text-rich sites, as I'd prefer to have as little text as possible. But with Google's new algorithms going out across the US this week, and shortly to be implemented in the UK, I don't want long lists of keywords.
I agree that location is very important for websites like ours. That's why I now use the domain "childrensentertainersussex". I call these domain names "generic but localised and trade-specific" (GEBLATS). Google far prefers domain names like these to "pottythepirate" or similar.
Doug
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Loaded quickly and I like it a lot. Nice and clean and visual, and the navigation button along the side are easy to see and understand.

I think it gets a little "wordy" after the video window. I'd have kept the details for the links, but that's just me. You were after a fast load and you achieved it.

That promo pic on the home page is awesome, btw.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

I like how quick the printable page fcility is; much quicker than the BBC site for example.
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
Urghh - Comic Sans! The default typface for youth workers and children's entertainers, I implore you to reconsider. It's hard to read and incredibly overused, which is a pity as the rest of the site is great (and loads extremely quick, even the video).
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Comic sans is easier for kids to read though as it more closely resembles their unjoined handwriting, so parents are used to it.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Over all I like it however and it may just be me but way too much text.

people don't like to read these days( their lazy)

but again it seems to flow nicely and loaded fast which seems to be your biggest concern.

hope it does well for you!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with Sam. It is too wordy. A person might not have the time to read all of it because that individuals will be searching other sites looking for kids entertainers. Make it a lot shorter with the information willing to grab and keep their attention.

It loaded in a split second.

Do you have alt text for each picture? It does help with SEO.
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
I hope that even though I haven't been on here for too long, you will read my post Smile

I agree that there is too much text. As dynamike pointed out, people are lazy, and they want to find what they need ASAP.
Also, I had a little problem reading the text with the background that was there. It might be my eyes, but I had to concentrate hard to read it.
Another detail I was wondering about. Is it on purpose that the titles on the links to the left does not all start in a capital letter?
Also, the picture of the crocodile from Peter Pan, do you have the rights to use it? I don't know hoe big of a problem that will be, but I will guess that it's pretty boring being sued by Disney.

All the best
-Johannes
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

I think the solution to the "too much text" issue will be to make several videos, which will explain the details as an alternative to reading them.
I do think some folks like to be able to read a lot of info....but perhaps also bullet points would make things a lot simpler for the "lazy" surfers.
It's also so important to have a lot of text for the sake of Google. I've always wanted to try to create a site where folks don't feel the need to read the text. Theoretically, they can just watch the promo vids and make their minds up from them.
I quite like "Comic Sans"....anyhow, this website builder offers a very small choice of fonts, and this was the only one I felt had the right look.
All the pictures on the site (not the photos, the art drawings) are free downloadable gifs, with no copyright issues - so I presume it's OK to have the croc.
Anyhow, I haven't even Google verified the site, and it's already bringing in enquiries, so I think it's a good step in the right direction.
Thanks again for all the advice,
Doug
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2011-03-13 11:35, knick23 wrote:
Urghh - Comic Sans!

Font snob!

I think most people don't like comic sans is it is used inappropriately and looks wrong on business documents etc because it looks like the sort of font a clown might use. Therefore for us, maybe not so bad...
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
I hear you George, but I'd be inclined to have my site stand out from the competition, even if my act didn't. Judging by P the P's act he's got quite a developed style, I think it's a pity aspects of his site don't reflect that.
Anyway, Potty likes it, so somehow I'll just have to find the strength to get over it:(
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
From a parent and a preschool consumer standpoint, I like it, very attractive!

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My new website - all about SEO (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL