The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My new website - all about SEO (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I actually have a thing abut jokerman font (the one used in the title). I liked it when I first saw it then it started to annoy me when I began seeing it everywhere. Maybe it's because it looks quite random and when random things are duplicated they look fake??!! Anyhow, it's probably just me.

If you wish to change the font you don't have to stick to what your website builder offers. You can open the pages with notepad and change the font. CC scripts are very useful for this kind of thing. They mean if you want to change the font on the website you can do it by just changing one thing rather than going through the whole site.

I think relevant text is more important than lots of text to search engines.

I sometimes go though the site and ask myself if the text does one of these things:

Contains keywords that can help SEO
Tells the customer important information
Explains the benefits of booking me to the customer

If it doesn't do any of those things it's usually superfluous to requirements.
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
The croc in the top right looks like Disney's croc from Peter Pan. I would caution using anything of theirs. They are notorious for solving copy issues in court.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Johannes Lindrupsen
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
111 Posts

Profile of Johannes Lindrupsen
I hope that you will have a lot of luck with your new website Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I'd make the font just a bit bigger - older eyes (like grandparents wanting to hire you) might have a difficult time reading the info (and if anyone will read, it will be the older generation).

I'd go over the text again and see what you can break up into bullet points without losing too much info. Then put a link in the section to "more info here", and have it direct to a FAQ page. One bit of advice that doesn't always fit but it sgood to consider: most readers are looking for the one or two items that interest them when they read. If you use bullets, you put these right out there and giove them a reason to engage with you. If you bury everything in paragraphs of text, thoguh, many will simply give up. The general rule is you have about 5 seconds to help them find what they're looking for at each step, or they'll leave.

Ed
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Thanks, Ed, yes I've considered bullet points. I like the idea of a FAQ page, perhaps I'll move ahead with that idea.
Louie, I'd be happy to know what elements of my site don't reflect my "style". All suggestions are useful. Yes, I prefer this to my previous sites, but the whole point is, I want it to be "user-friendly".
Doug
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
"On this page: about Potty the Pirate, bio, PLI and CRB check" is not necessary. That line is too wordy. I can not even see how that would be helpful with SEO.

It does look better than the previous site But it is taking longer to load.

Capital all the words in the page tabs.

"Childrens entertainer in Brighton Sussex." Capitalize "entertainer."

"Potty the Pirate is recognised as one of the leading children's entertainers in Brighton and Sussex." "Recognised" is supposed to be spelled "recognized." You did put an apostrophe s in "children's." But you do not have the apostrophe in the other times you mentioned "childrens."
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2011-03-14 13:55, Dynamike wrote:
"Recognised" is supposed to be spelled "recognized."

That one is British English vs American English.

Everything else, though, is "spot on". Potty, you'd do well to hire yourself a proof-reader. At the very least, try this trick: Print each page and read it backwards: from the bottom up and word-to-word right-to-left. This forces your brain to disconnect from filling in the gaps as you read, and creates a fresh new look at it.

Ed
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Dynamike, all the things you've mentioned are not good for SEO. "Recognised" is the English spelling of this word. Capitalising words is not beneficial, and Google doesn't like to see too many capitals. Apostrophes are not always useful - particularly for google search engines, which mostly prefers to see words without any apostrophes.
I'm rather anal about my English, and almost automatically use apostrophes when required. I deliberately omitted them precisely because I don't want them to be read as: "children&aposs" or similar.
I agree about the headline detailing the content of the pages. following Ed's input, I've started a FAQ page, so I'll be replacing these head tags, and the content of the pages, with bullet points. As much text as possible will then be put on the FAQ page.
As for the page taking longer to load - I think this might be because you've already visited my previous site, so it is remembered by your computer. I hope this is the case, everyone else has told me the new site loads in about 1-2 seconds.
Thanks for your input though, it's all good!
Doug
knick23
View Profile
New user
Wales
83 Posts

Profile of knick23
Hi Potty,
re the exchange with George - Basically it's my opinion that Comic Sans is overused (esp. by children's entertainers)and if you use it on your own website then this tends to lump you in with the rest of those generic looking websites. Judging by your site's video, your act doesn't look particularly 'average', so why use a type face that may suggest to the casual observer otherwise. Especially in a market where it's relatively saturated with C' Entertainers (s England), I'd try my best to stand out from the rest, as I assume you'd want your show to do.
It's just a wee niggle I have and it's only my opinion. For better or for worse I have used OfficeLive to build my site and can appreciate working with limitations, so in that respect I think you've done an otherwise decent job.
Louie
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2011-03-14 17:01, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Dynamike, all the things you've mentioned are not good for SEO. Capitalising words is not beneficial, and Google doesn't like to see too many capitals. Apostrophes are not always useful - particularly for google search engines, which mostly prefers to see words without any apostrophes.

There is a misunderstanding. I was not mentioning the above for SEO. It was for better grammar. When someone reads your site they might think whoever put it together was not good with grammar because the beginning of each word does not match in the tab section. Some words are capitalized and some are not. It will look better to a prospect if either every word started with a capital letter or every word started with a lower case letter instead of having them mixed.

It was the same for the apostrophes. You have "children's" most times without an apostrophe. It will look better to a principal/librarian/teacher/etc if all the "children's" were listed as one way instead of splitting them.

I am sure you know some prospects are very picky. The website says it all. When they see things as I mentioned above, they might say to themselves, "I see this person is not concerned too much about how their website reads. He might not be so concerned about his presentation either. I will look for someone else."

For example you have in your tab section:

"magic shows"

"Balloon models"

To me it will look better if it read:

"Magic Shows"

"Balloon Models"

or

"magic shows"

"balloon models"

You have "Balloons" capitalized. Why can't EVERY word start with/without a capital?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Ah, thanks for that, Dyna - yes I do agree there about the capitals. Unfortunately, I want to include both spellings of childrens - with apostrophe and without - the latter being the much more common search term (actually not a word, but I delight in using it myself when I'm working!)
To be honest, so few people in the UK know how to spell properly - even teachers and "intellectuals", that I'm not sure if spelling is really such an issue over here.
The internet and cellphones are changing the way we spell. One of the search terms I needed to include was "magic 4 kids", as this is a very common search here. At one time I'd have baulked at this, but these days I find these kind of spellings quite fun.
Anyway, must sk8, as I have some shows this morning.....
;)
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Is "childrens" without an apostrophe even a real word? I don't think so.
But is that what SEO is coming to? We have to put in not only our keywords, but every mangling thereof as well??
Will Google reject me if I insist on proer spelling and grammar?!?

Ed
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Google wont reject you, it's just directly linked to what people search for and because there are a sufficient amount of people who think childrens is a word (presumably used in sentences like "We took all the childrens down to the farm to see some sheeps and mices") it's worth including their spelling too.

Google will correct the spelling:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=......tainment
and when you click on the correct spelling the listings change slightly. (Although not that much)
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

I haven't got the energy right now to check, but I'm fairly sure a lot more people search for "childrens entertainer" than "children's entertainer".
Ed, google won't reject you for insisting on propah speling. But it may rank your website lower if you do.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 14:07, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I haven't got the energy right now to check, but I'm fairly sure a lot more people search for "childrens entertainer" than "children's entertainer".

That's my understanding too. I get a monthly update from Google maps and "Childrens entertainer" (ie without the apostrophe) is always the most common search.

Mark
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Doug,

Truth be told, I don't know what else I can add that hasn't already been said. Reading both comments here and over at Buskers, everyone makes valid points. I think there is WAY TOO MUCH text. Less is definitely more.

I think that having a clear photo of yourself that is big and bold that shows who you are is a MUST on your home page.

I also think that your layout is a bit "all over the place" and doesn't have a good flow.

I would contact Bizzaro and have him build your website for you. He's very reasonable and is super easy to work with. He also knows what works and what is distracting and will let you know so you'll end up with the best possible product to sell yourself.

My 2 cents...

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Idea #1 The only way I can see a guarantee for you Doug, is to get a second new one. Keep the present one basically as it is now. Maybe the wordy text will help you with SEO. Put the additional one together with far less words. If the second one is on the first page of the search engines, drop the first one with too much text. Look at my two magic websites in my signature. The flash one was made first. Now I am thinking about dropping or changing the flash one around because the html is on the first page of the search engines too.

Idea #2 Make the home page short and strong. That is the page people read most. If it can make the sell, there is no need for the prospect to read on if that person does not read much. Have several pages on other topics. They can be long to help support with SEO. Include a blog to your website for more keywords. Remember, the only page that is short and direct is the home page.

Idea #3 Do not be afraid to try the website with less text at first. If you are not on the first page in 3 months, then try the wordy text.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2126 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Took all of 4 seconds to load up, so no worries there.

Now let's have a look..........

It IS a bit long-winded text-wise, but that could be a good thing. Unlike most websites which wave something colorful under your nose for a second or two, this one seems intent on giving the prospective customer the whole 9 yards of info. I think it will bring Potty great buisiness for the same reason that infomercials work.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Sorry to go off topic for the moment but a quick shout to my old pal JoJo at Buskers. The ether is wonderful...jump in the pool. Nice to know I'm an "old friend."

Anyhow...

Doug,

The page did load very quickly for me so there is that....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
randyburtis
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of randyburtis
Can't you use the less grammatically correct spellings etc in meta tags on the page?
Randy Burtis
Calgary's Kid Show Magician
www.calgarymagician.com
www.Facebook.com/calgarymagician
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My new website - all about SEO (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL