The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Al's Magic Shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
Since 1971 I have lived 30 miles south from Washington DC. I had the privilege and have many fond memories of watching Al Cohen demonstrate his magic to me, and many customers. He is now retired, and the shop was sold, although the name Al's Magic Shop still remains. That would have to be a tough act to follow. Smile
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
160 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
My folks took me there as a kid when we vacationed in DC and bought me my first "real" tricks. A nickles to dimes brass cap, a money paddle, and a card trick with 5 lettered cards that changed from spelling "House" to "Ghost" and then went blank along a haunted house patter. I have been hooked ever since, and still have the three tricks. Don't know if Al was the guy that spent time with us, but I remember him being very friendly and spent a good amount of time teaching me how to perform the tricks.

Great shop!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5257 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Al was widely regarded as one of the best magic demonstrators in the world, a title he richly deserved.

I owe a lot to Al as I wouldn't be a magician today if he hadn't cast his spell on me a long time ago. I bought my first magic trick there when I was five years old, which was 41 years ago, and I frequented his ship until recently. Al's may still be in business, but in my opinion there is no Al's Magic Shop without Al.

Regards, Larry Davidson
mwolfire
View Profile
New user
Mark Wolfire
91 Posts

Profile of mwolfire
Larry,
I too owe a lot to Al for the same reasons. First time I was in the shop (on Penn Ave) was about 35 years ago. I probably bought a color changing paddle. If you recall he had those plastic (plexiglass ?) sticks with mod, flashy colors. I remember seeing Amadeo at the shop (I must have been in the 5th grade). He was pulling cards out of thin air, swallowing cigarettes and blowing non-stop smoke. I haven't been in the shop since it was bought by Steve. I am sure that Steve is a wonderful guy, but since I live in Baltimore now there just doesn't seem any reason to go to the new "Al's".

Mark
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5171 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Managed to see Al on business trips to DC 3 times. Each time he lived up to his reputation...demo'ed everything I asked to see like it was second nature (and probably was), and succeeded in selling those effects to me. Great shop. Can't remember which location it was, but I can still see it in my mind's eye like it was yesterday.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Flavors from the past... » » Al's Magic Shop (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL