The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Woody Aragon English Language Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2011-08-23 11:47, Fingers_Fidge wrote:
Blindside

Any thoughts on the effect The slot machine. I have recently purchased some nice fruit machine symbol cards and hoping this is an effect I can use them for.

Hopefully I will be getting my copy in teh next few days but thought I may ask.

cheers
They should work Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2011-08-20 10:53, crestfallenLyric wrote:
Is there a lot of setups in this book? 4-5 card setups are fine but after that I just have difficulty doing them on the fly (given I think that most of the books I own have mostly tricks with some extensive setup).
A lot of them do require some extensive setups. The human scale does not require an extensive setup, a short setup I would say.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2563 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Just ordered.

Cant wait!!!

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
Received mine last night. Love the first effect. Very lovely presentation.
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of BrandonWilliams
Still waiting on mine. Should be here tomorrow according to fedex. I'm hoping this doesn't dissappoint after the Gagnon book. Anything stand out as a worker to those who have received it?
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
I'm hoping to pick this up today but based on some of the tricks I've seen that are included in this book you should be in for a treat. This guy is a very clever thinker
PHER
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of PHER
The anti-faro is a procedure.
The slot machine trick... well I don't want to give up too much of it, but I can tell you something, it's a trick based on a great principle that allows for it to work without you touching the cards at all... a real fooler!!
Blindside785, as the book's translator, and being my first work of this type, what do you think about the translation? Is the text clear and the instructions easy to follow? I have to say I tried my best, but there can always be issues... and I am lucky Woody got the help of some excellent proof readers!!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I love this book! And yes, I found one translation mistake in one of my favorite routines ("Never tell them what's going to happen"), but with little thought you still get it (page 127, 4th passage from the top, try it, you'll see it...). Still you did a marvelous job!! Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2011-08-25 23:26, BrandonWilliams wrote:
I'm hoping this doesn't dissappoint after the Gagnon book.

I don’t want to sidetrack this thread, but are you saying that you found the Tom Gagnon book disappointing? I ask only because I’m considering buying it.
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 06:23, PHER wrote:
The anti-faro is a procedure.
The slot machine trick... well I don't want to give up too much of it, but I can tell you something, it's a trick based on a great principle that allows for it to work without you touching the cards at all... a real fooler!!
Blindside785, as the book's translator, and being my first work of this type, what do you think about the translation? Is the text clear and the instructions easy to follow? I have to say I tried my best, but there can always be issues... and I am lucky Woody got the help of some excellent proof readers!!

I was really worried about the text before I got the book. Everything so far is very clear and easy to follow! I'm very happy with it.

Every effect here is a masterpiece, even though there may be a setup, it's worth it.
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Count,

The Gagnon book is fantastic. I was implying that it would be a tough act to follow.
BrandonWilliams
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Just finished the first couple hundred pages in Woody's book. There is some seriously thought provoking material inside.
Count Lustig
View Profile
Elite user
456 Posts

Profile of Count Lustig
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 15:06, BrandonWilliams wrote:
Count,

The Gagnon book is fantastic. I was implying that it would be a tough act to follow.

Thanks.
PHER
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of PHER
Quote:
On 2011-08-26 07:48, JanForster wrote:
I love this book! And yes, I found one translation mistake in one of my favorite routines ("Never tell them what's going to happen"), but with little thought you still get it (page 127, 4th passage from the top, try it, you'll see it...). Still you did a marvelous job!! Jan

***! I'll check it out as soon as I get home! If it's possible, I'll correct it and ask Woody how to make the correction available to as many people as possible!!
Thanks!!
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
The book arrived 3 days ago here in France (from penguin). It's the BEST read I had since a long time, I LOVE it ! Aragon's magic is just what I love, perhaps it isn't the case for everyone, but I just recognize me in this ! I almost read everything in 2 days and will now work harder on the routines. The only complaint is about the spelling effects that are langage dependend, so I didn't go too much into those for now.
PLEASE Woody, we wait for the next english (or french ?) book, especially on memorized deck effects... Don't keep those for yourself man ;-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Woody Aragon
View Profile
New user
Spain
40 Posts

Profile of Woody Aragon
Thank you everybody. The book has been so well received that I am very happy but also surprised. I don't doubt about the wonderful translation of Pher, but some little thing can "escape" from our proof reading phase. Anyway, a lot of people is writing me saying great things about the book so, I can only say thanks again.

The main tricks of the book have setups, but, I think that's one of my specilities in magic so, I must talk about what I do. I can only promise there are no impractical tricks you never do. I do constantly almost every trick in the book.

Mimo67: I'm planning my next book will be about memorized deck tricks, but now my main focus is to make "A book in English" a known book in the magical comunity. It was a lot of work, and I'm a little scared of starting to work again in the next book XD But I promise you I'll do it soon. Just I'm taking my "vacances" as writer for a while Smile

Best,

Woody
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Excellent work Woody, I have recieved mine, now to start enjoying the contents.
Best Wishes,
Mark
PHER
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of PHER
Woody: And a good holidays you deserve! It's been a busy year working on "A book in english"... I myself see it as a littlbe baby, and I'm proud people like it... I can't imagine how you must feel... haha we have to drink some "Valencia Water" to celebrate!!
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Thanks for the answer Woody, nice of you ! And above all GREAT news about your futur book about memorized deck effects ! I'll wait patiently for the release.
First of all enjoy your 'vacances', because surely you deserve those !
Have I said that the book is really well made, excellent choice of presentation, paper and stuff, great translation too ;-)
If you look for somebody to translate in french, I'm your man !
Magically,
MiMo67

Quote:
On 2011-08-30 21:44, Woody Aragon wrote:
Mimo67: I'm planning my next book will be about memorized deck tricks, but now my main focus is to make "A book in English" a known book in the magical comunity. It was a lot of work, and I'm a little scared of starting to work again in the next book XD But I promise you I'll do it soon. Just I'm taking my "vacances" as writer for a while Smile

Best,

Woody
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Thanks Woody - I just wanted to be another guy to tell you that I love and appreciate the book. Thanks again for publishing it in English. And as a guy who struggles 30 minutes every night (Assimil and Pimsleur) trying to learn Spanish, I'm jealous of your English. I'll get there eventually.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Woody Aragon English Language Book (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL