The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Illusion Coins by Magic makers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
I bought this DVD plus coins for a couple reasons.

1. I liked the effect.
2. It came with Morgan Coin Copies
3. It has a sliding locking sh*** that fits Morgan coins.
4. I am acquiring Morgan based coin effect to add more coins to my closeup routines.

The package arrived and I was immediately disappointed to find that sliding locking sh*** only slid, and would not lock. I contacted the seller, and was told that since they were made in China, the quality wouldn't be very good. No kidding... The sh*** was cut way too far to be able to lock. And none of the coins were actually cut to accept the Sh***. The seller contacted me and told me he had one that did work, and he would send it. To his credit, I got it shortly afterwards. The coins were slightly different than the first ones I got. The Morgan copies actually say COPY on the back. Other Morgan copies I have received previously did not have COPY on them. In fact they could pass for real Morgans upon anything but a very close examination.

Now I have coins that work, even though they are not as realistic as the other ones, nor real Morgans (which obviously are very realistic). The later copy coins are kind of fat in the center, and don't like to sit completely flat on top of each other. But they seem serviceable. So on to the video.

The video consists of two sections, a performance section, and a maintaining your coins section.

What is missing? There is no explanation of anything including what move, tenkai, palm, or however the coins are held to produce them. The closest you get to an explanation is that every once in while he flashes the hidden coin. The is also no explanation of how the three fly happens. Which hand hold the Sh***, and when does it pass to the other hand.

I got mine on ebay for about $40. Not bad for a gimmicked Morgan type/size coin, a coin cut to fit it, and two others coins.

With enough time, reviewing the performance, and practicing, I expect that I will get it. But how hard would it have been for Magic Makers to give it, with an actual explanation of how to do the effect, rather than just a performance video.

If you get it cheap enough and know the routine for using your sliding locking sh***, assuming you get one that will lock. The practice, Morgan sized copy coins to use for practice make it decent deal, since a single Morgan will cost at least $40 in good condition.

So, you can pay your money, assuming you get it at a good price, roll the dice, maybe get a good sh***, get a couple Morgan copy practice coins, and a performance video, and advice on how to tighten up your locking sh*** when it no longer locks.

Not sure I would go through it again myself. But I don't have to, so that settles that.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
DamastaMind
View Profile
New user
Bavaro Beach, Dominican Republic
60 Posts

Profile of DamastaMind
So in other words: THIS SUCKS.
The MIND is deceitful above all things
and beyond cure.
Who can understand it?

Jeremiah 17:9
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Interesting. I remember a few years ago when MM put out their copper Paul Fox (Feaux) cups, there were inconsistencies, and the word was that you needed to be sure whomever shipped the cups checked how they stacked before shipping them.

That is what I thought about when reading this post.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
402 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
There is a lot of cr-p out there for sure.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
402 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
There is a lot of cr-p out there for sure.
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Funny thing, I just got another Illusion Coins DVD with "Special Coins" And it is exactly the same as the first one I got where the sh*** was cut too small, and the coins (three 1921 Morgan copies, but not marked as copies) were uncut, so there is no way that the sh*** would be locking.

The good news is that I now have three more Morgan Silver Dollar type coins to use for something. The bad news is that I also have two bad sh***s that aren't really god for much. But I guess that I will just have to keep working on making them useful somehow. They do fit nicely covering the one cut down Morgan coin I got in the replacement set. They won't lock on the cut down coin, but at least they cover them.

And the funny thing I mentioned is the fact that I have no idea where this copy of Illusion Coins came from. I guess that I may have bought them during a buying frenzy and not realized it.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
kcquinn50
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of kcquinn50
Thanks for your review. I've seen these on eBay. Your review sounds to me like it was a bad purchase at $40, and these retail for $100. Newer copies might have a better tutorial. They advertise that "excellent" instructions are given. Isn't the routine similar if not the same as Come Fly With Me? There was a thread on this set over a year ago that I haven't reread yet.
Kelvin
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3005 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
My coins were perfect and the DVD included covered everything. I assume your copies were knock offs. Other than mine stamped copy, ther were a very good set for the cost.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
UPDATE:

As for the video, I said that there was only a performance, and no explanation on my DVD.

I was advised by someone who knows, that the menu is insufficient, and that a forward click, couple of times will get you to the explanation.

I tried it, and it works. Not missing anything. Just not connected to the disc menu.

And yes, the routine is a basic three fly effect. And not exactly rocket science, but now that I can see when the sh*** is used, and how it was used, The part about the effect not being explained on the DVD, is not true.

Could it be a ripoff? I guess it could be, but what would tell me if it is a ripoff? Are all of the ones by Magic maker stamped copy on the Morgan coins?

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3005 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
They are stamped copy yes. The sliding shell does lock though unless the one you received was overly used. What happens is it eventually will not lock in place as the rim/ridge wears down on them.Only 1 coin is designed to fit the shell too.
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Another Update. Rob Stiff from Magic makers was kind enough to respond to my message/rant to Magic Makers.

I now have a new set of Illusion Coins that are exactly what you would expect from a World Class Magic Manufacturer. And based on the quality of these coins, which are the same as one set I previously got that did work, the first two sets that I got where the quality was so bad, were assuredly knock offs. It is a shame that so many effects are being knocked off. I bought the first set on eBay; knock off. The second set was a private purchase from another magician in the UK. It also was knock off. I don't think he knew it when he sold it to me, but still, there were knock offs on two different continents. I am surprised, but today, I guess I shouldn't be. Sad, but true.

One again, thanks to Rob Stiff and Magic Makers for making it clear that my previous bad review was not fair to them. I wasn't reviewing their products. I was initially reviewing knockoffs.

Now I can say that based on the quality of the real Illusion Coins, and now knowing that you need to skip forward since there is no menu entry to the explanation on the DVD. But they are there. That the effect is everything you should expect, and it is well explained. certainly lives up to it's advertising claims and makes 3 fly type Morgan coin effects much easier.

And I do recommend it.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
It is quite ironic that Magic Makers is having their products knocked off, when they have knocked off (ripped off) so many magic creators.

Mark Jenest's No. 2 Pencil (Magic Makers "Magic Pencil") being one example.

Doctor, I am happy that they took care of you. Consistency in product is difficult when the items are mass produced. The first "Matchbox Penetration" I bought (a Magic Makers product) was excellent. I lost it! I have purchased five more since and none of them have worked well enough to use in performance. I finally had a machinist make me a custom one that works great.

Uh Oh! Does that mean I had a knockoff made?????

Cheers,
Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2322 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I am not a proponent for buying knockoff magic, but over the years, I have bought a couple of tricks that were actually quite better than the original. A couple over a lifetime, I will continue to support the original.

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Illusion Coins by Magic makers (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL