The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card practice (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mase
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mase
I know that this is a very wide open question to ask and tha it's very subjective but here goes...

What I want to find is some sort of card practice routine, I know nothing really, I seem to pick up a deck of cards do a swivel cut or 2 try and do a double lift realise I cant so I fumble about with the cards for another 5 minuets and then put them down!

I have plenty of material to use to learn from but I cant seem to structure my practise so that I get any better and I'm getting fed up of not knowing how to practice so that I can improve. I say improve even learn a trick or 2 would be good!!
If anyone can work out quite what I'm trying to say and has any tips or pointers I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Page 22 Royal Road to Cardmagic Smile
Athelus
View Profile
New user
Aberdeen, Scotland
59 Posts

Profile of Athelus
When I started (still do this sometimes) I'd overhand shuffle the pack retaining topstock first time, controlling a card to bottom 2nd time then take bottom to top. Repeat that several times. Once comfortable with that shuffle again then follow with a cut of some sort again retaining stock. Once comfortable with that add another move your working on into the mix, whether it be a DL or a glimpse of some sort. Then change to a Riffle shuffle and work on it's many uses.

Sorry I don't know your skill level but those practices you'll continue to work on forever as there such crucial tools in card magic.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Mase
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mase
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 17:44, MichielTummers wrote:
Page 22 Royal Road to Cardmagic Smile

That is the only piece of practice I really do! I think maybe I need discipline and a teacher!

Thanks
Mase
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mase
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 17:48, Athelus wrote:
When I started (still do this sometimes) I'd overhand shuffle the pack retaining topstock first time, controlling a card to bottom 2nd time then take bottom to top. Repeat that several times. Once comfortable with that shuffle again then follow with a cut of some sort again retaining stock. Once comfortable with that add another move your working on into the mix, whether it be a DL or a glimpse of some sort. Then change to a Riffle shuffle and work on it's many uses.

Sorry I don't know your skill level but those practices you'll continue to work on forever as there such crucial tools in card magic.

My skill level is absolute beginner so any help is brilliant.
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
The classic This n' That, or the Jumping Gemini use many lifting sleights, as well as a bit of misdirection. As far as cutting goes, cutting shouldn't be too fancy (unless card manipulation is your deal), so simple is usually the best. PM me if you want to see a few tricks I've come up with/how to do them, I'd be more than happy to help.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
As a veteran magician (37 years) who never bothered to learn sleights (except for the basics), I am finding this thread valuable. Thank you, Mase for bringing it up!

Looking forward to more responses!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I used to leave several packs of cards around the house in different places and everytime I passed one, I'd pick it up and do a few attempts at what ever sleight I was working on at the time.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Mase,
I'm a big fan of Card College. Volume 1 & 2 will take you all the way from how to hold a deck to professional-level routines. Get the books and if you can afford it also pick up the DVDs.
Hudson
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Mase you say- I seem to pick up a deck of cards do a swivel cut or 2 try and do a double lift realise I cant so I fumble about with the cards for another 5 minuets and then put them down.

This is great keep going it will happen. There is lots of great advice here. I think you just need a little nudge in the right direction. Find some moves that are not only beginner moves but also essential moves. I focused on a double lift, A force shuffle , a control to top and bottom along with a riffle shuffle. I just keep a set of cards at hand and went through them. These five things alone you can do great things. One thing I found is from when I started juggling the guy that taught me said it better to practice little and often. Practice for 10 minte 6 times aday is better than practice once for 60 mintes. Don’t know why but it dose help me.

Also I usually have lot of different thing in my head so when I sit down focusing on one thing goes a bit wrong. So on a practice set of cards put a sticky lable on it a write what your focusing on.

Hope this helps keep going.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Yellowcustard,

I think you are absolutely right about frequent, short periods of directed practice. Often, if I am practicing something for too long a time, my performance deteriorates. At that point, I am practicing mistakes, rather than practicing it right. So I try to practice a move several times up until the point that any improvements I am making start to fade. Then I put it away.

Woland
Octarine Prince
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of Octarine Prince
Quote:
On 2011-03-15 21:31, Father Photius wrote:
I used to leave several packs of cards around the house in different places and everytime I passed one, I'd pick it up and do a few attempts at what ever sleight I was working on at the time.

Good one.

That is the "every time I pass the pull-up bar, I do 10" approach. And it works.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......tart=0#4
Mase, do what you are doing but with this in mind:

P - Patience...good ability/skill does not come easily, be patient because anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value.

R - Respite...intervals of rest or relief combined with practice is paramount in order to advance. Psychologists have determined that marathon practice without rest can hinder the learning process. "Festina Lente" (Latin for "make haste slowly").

A - Attention...application of the mind to the task at hand without distractions makes for better and more productive results. Paying attention to detail is the secret of the masters. This can be termed as “Deliberate Practice”.*

C - Consistency...you must strive for uniformity in all your motions/technique when practicing.

T - Tenacity...stick-to-it-tiveness and perseverance is a product of desire and ambition to succeed. Don't give up.

I - Imagination...creative ability is more important than knowledge & when physical practice is not possible or practical, visualization techniques can be utilized with good results. Go through the motions in your mind and visualize yourself performing the required techniques.

C - Composure...calmness and self possession will make for a more productive practice session. To practice when you are tired or distracted will hinder your progress.

E - Effectiveness...the product of practice is a decided, decisive, desired & intended result... which is entertainment. To be effective in the presentation of magic is to have paid your dues in unrelenting practice & rehearsal.

Have fun!

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
Some ideas for you to practice (some basic skills):

Lift: e.g. double, triple etc

Pass: e.g. Classic pass

False Cut

Card Control: e.g. card to top, card to bottom

Shuffle: e.g. control shuffle, false shuffle

Count: e.g. Elmsley count

Each categories above have many different ways / methods. Just practice the ones you like and link them together if you wish. If this becoms too dry, try to practice some tricks in between instead of just paracticing sleights of hand.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Go thru the routine in whatever book you own.
At some point you will find one or two that you feel works for you.
Practice the sleights the are used.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Royal Road to Card Magic is a classic book that seems to be mentioned on these forums almost daily. It is also available in a 4-DVD set for those who are more visual learners. PM me and I can tell you how to pick it up if you are interested.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mark Jarvis
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Mark Jarvis
Hi Mase:

All great advice. I like to practice the fundamentals while watching TV or working on the computer. I always have a deck of cards, coins or other object(CC Knives, sponge balls, etc.) in my hands. I find that if I alternate between objects I don't get bored.

A few finger rolls, followed by a few French drops, followed by a few spider palms, followed by a few a click passes...and so on. Then I move to cards. A few double lifts, followed by a few riffle passes, followed by a few false shuffles. You get the picture.

I practice with a purpose; my purpose is to be able to do the sleights in my five favorite effects so I do not think about them during a routine.

Find 4 or 5 effects you like, practice the sleights required in front of the TV or while on the computer....perform the routine frequently. You will be amazed at how quickly you will improve not only your sleights but also your interaction with your spectators/friends while performing.....Have fun!
Mark Jarvis
The Magic Of Magic
Solon, Ohio
The Magic Is In Your Hands
http://www.themagicofmagic.com
sleightlysilas
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sleightlysilas
There are dedicated move monkeys, there are serious students of the art, there are individuals who persevere through hardship, then there's me.

Thought it would be of some help to hear from the otherside of the coin, people who hate practice, who hate repetition and who don't have the attention span to commando the same move for months.

A quick disclaimer, I do not recommend this course of action. Though it has worked for me and gotten me to a level where I can make a comfortable living out of what I do, a lot of people may not agree with me.

I believe that moves come naturally as you go along. I honed my skills through brute real world experience. I'd perform to friends and fail multiple times until I succeed, then use it in gigs. I found that fear of humiliation and the hope for glory were perfect motivations for success.

I guess I couldn't stand locking up in my dungeon and grinding away, though certainly I see it's merits. I can say that the manner by which I progressed in the art has made me more resilient than my dungeon borne peers. It also allowed me to work on my people skills and my patter early on and quite often as well, which I now found to be my strongest selling point, as far as my clients say (I still think it's my good looks, but I guess we all think so eh?)

I did slave away for my coin roll and muscle pass, but for most things like palming, lifts and passes, it just came after performing constantly.

I guess a more practical piece of advice I can give is to pick a favorite trick, one that would include three or four moves, and keep practicing that routine, rather than slaving away at a single move. Pick up an ACR or a basic find my card with different controls. Seems more interesting on our part to practice that way.

Just my two cents!
Sleightly Silas
Magician|Hypnotist|Visionaire
www.SleightlySilas.com
"...a little bit of magic,
with a lot of something else..."
Jim Oliver
View Profile
Regular user
Las Cruces, New Mexico
141 Posts

Profile of Jim Oliver
Mase,

My two cents worth is to pick up the Card College Light, Lighter and Lightest books
and study from these FIRST. The material is EASY to do with NO SLEIGHT OF HAND at all.

They will teach you presentation and how to routine your act.

AFTER these books, you can go to The Royal Road to Card Magic and others.

But start EASY.

just my thoughts,

Jim
Ed Marlo rules
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I guess I'm "others," right, Jim?
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card practice (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL