The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to increase the value of my card / giveaway? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have an effect which leaves a card with my contact info in the person's hand. These are designed as playing-card size for ease of use by the participant, thought I could make it business-card size. The routine is meant to be performed at a stand-up whole-family show; any adult desiring to participate gets a packet of cards, and the one they choose is the winner - me!

I can see a person getting this and maybe hanging onto it for a short time for the memory and story of what happened. (Hopefully it was amazing enough that they remember what happened!!) But if they don't see a need for a magician in the near future, they're just as likely to toss it.

At playing-card size, it could be dropped into a purse or stuffed into a back pocket - likely places to get cleaned out periodically. Business-card sized might be a bit more difficult to handle during the routine, but could also fit better into a wallet.

For those who aren't sure about needing or hiring a magician, this card may not have a high "keep-me" value. So I'm trying to think of ways to increase the value of my card to these people.

-- Foremost, I think my website/blog has to be full of content - or the promise of content to come - that has meaning to them. So: birthday party tips; learn magic tricks; testimonials of astounding birthday parties, family events, school or group shows; what a magician can add to your event; etc.
-- "Friend me on Facebook to find out where I'm performing next!" ??? They might not keep the card, but I can get a contact.
-- Maybe a deal with some local merchants (like a coffee shop or similar) for a coupon: "Sign up to receive coupons for a free drink or ice cream cone every month when you present this card". Though that might burden the merchant.

Just for the record - yes, I did see the Joel Bauer videos. One thing he said that stuck with me was "This is what I guarentee. What do _you_ guarentee?" If I can guarentee them something meaningful, they are probably more likely to keep my card against the day when they might need my services.

What are your thoughts? is this a valid pursuit? Or am I looking at this the wrong way?

Ed
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Build a list. Provide an incentive (a "free report", a free magic trick, joke, coupon, autographed picture or something similar) for people to give you their contact information...primarily e-mail address. Build a list and then use that list to contact them with information from time to time (on a regular, but not too frequent, basis). This will keep you "top of mind" and provide an opportunity to be in the "right place at the right time" if/when they do think about needing your services. Ultimately you "give them your card" 12 or more times a year with your e-mails and you don't have to worry about what size, shape or color the physical card is and/or if they'll keep it around. Build a list, stay in touch with your list regularly (auto-responder system) by providing meaningful, interesting content and I think you'll find this to be an integral component of your overall marketing program.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Keep one thing in mind as you go forward, Ed. The most valuable business card is not yours - it's theirs. Whenever possible, when I leave a card, I ask for one of theirs. They might toss mine, but you can bet I will never lose theirs. I scan it into my Blackberry contact database.

My mindset is that no matter how worthy any business card is, I would estimate that 95% of them get tossed, shoved, stuffed or otherwise filed never to be seen again. Out of sight is truly out of mind. This is why getting their information is so vital to me.

There is a whole list of ideas that go along with getting and using their cards. For example, as soon as I get back home or to my hotel room, I send a simple handwritten "Nice to have met you" notecard with my logo; no other promotional material. I add them to my Constant Contact mailing list. I send simple nonpromotional seasonal cards and emails. I send notices of appropriate community events, my public appearances and special offers. I stay in contact with them. I don't wait for them to reach out to me.

I always refer the people with cards in my database to others. If someone needs a lawyer, I look up lawyers in my client contacts. If possible, I send a handwritten heads-up logo notecard (with a business card) to the lawyer with the referred party's name, email or phone number. By sending them business they are far more likely to refer or hire me down the road.

I used to scan local newspapers and magazines for articles featuring regular and prospective clients. I would clip the article and send it with a personal note to the client. But, the database has grown so large that I can no longer keep up with the names. For a person just starting out in a small area, this works great, though!

A few will opt out of these contacts. The majority either welcome or tolerate them. Either way, my name stays fresher in their mind than my competitors. Sure, it takes a LOT more effort than just handing your business card to someone and hoping they keep it...but, that extra effort pays off. Just a thought...

Now ... how any of that increases the value of YOUR card ... dang, I'm off topic again! Smile

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
So the best use of this card is to somehow use it to get their contact info.

Since, in this instance, it's going to every adult in the audience, perhaps I can strike that deal with a local coffee shop or such and direct these people to a sign-in page to receive their free drink coupon by email.

And I do remember reading here that the best way to give away your business card in a face-to-face is in an exchange of information. How do you work that when you're not talking to business people with cards, but just poor working stiffs too far down the ladder to have a card? If you're at your BOR table or chatting up several people after the show, you'd have to have Harry Lorayne's memory to recall all the names and contact info!

Ed
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Create a "drawing" card (gathering contact information). Offer a free 30 minute magic show for the grand prize winner and a free magic trick for runners-up. Sign up forms must be filled out completely to qualify for prizes. Once you've got the sign up forms, you can enter the info in your contact data base and set up an auto-responder system that automatically sends a "magic trick of the month" e-mail to them, with perhaps a reminder that you're available to entertain for private events, corporate functions, etc; You'll spend some time in the beginning getting it all set up, but then it'll be automatic...prospects will get an e-mail reminder from you every 30, 45, 60 days (or whatever interval you decide) with a "how to" magic trick. The auto-responder system has a feature that lets people on your distribution list "opt out" if they want....all without any effort on your part. The FREE show can be on a particular date that YOU determine, or perhaps allow the winner to apply the value of the show to another show or date of their choice. (You're giving it away....YOU decide when, how long, etc;) The important thing is to get THEIR contact information. If you're going after kid shows, you might also ask for kids birth-dates etc;....whatever info you decide is important to your marketing effort). The "drawing entry" form/card is one way to do that if you are looking to market to people without business cards of their own.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Skip has given you pure gold. Yeah. Get THEIR card...and give them yours with a powerful effect. I get WAY more bookings if I can get their cards rather than giving mine out.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Ed you need to build up value before you ever hand out your card.

Imagine that you're at a bar and you're talking to a girl for 10 minutes...then you ask her for her phone number and she says no. Most people think they did something wrong when asking for the phone number. Maybe they should have asked in a nicer tone, etc. But the problem does not happen at the very moment of asking for a number...it happens in all the actions before the number.

Same thing goes with building value. You have to build your value before you ever give your card away. If you're handing out your card and you haven't already built up value...if you don't already have them saying to themselves, "we need to hire this guy" then it won't happen.

Value is shown in the tiny details. The way you dress, the way you talk, the venue they see you perform at, the look of your business card, your website, your tricks, and plenty more. Tiny details create a frame around your value.

Building a list is great but you don't want a list of everyone. I'm sure you have heard the saying that you need to ask the right questions to get the right answers. If you tell people that they will get a free drink by putting down there email then how does that qualify them? How does that show you they are in the "buying" mode of hiring you? It doesn't. A free drink will get you a lot of unqualified emails.

So to build value, here is what I do:
1st step...Perform- They have to see you do something and it needs to be really good. You're giving them a sample of what they can have.

2nd Step...Framing/Context- You need to give them a context in which to see your performance. You can just do a magic trick and make them happy for a few moments but if you want them to hire you then you need to let them know that you do shows. While performing, say things like, "This is a favorite of mine. It is something I perform at every event I'm hired for and can't be seen anywhere other than right here, right now." Or "Have you ever been to an event where they hired a top notch entertainer?" I even go so far as to ask for a watch from the group even when I know they don't have a watch and then say, "Oh no watch? The watch one is crazy. It is something I do when people hire me for an event and it always freaks them out." (I learned from Joel Bauer that the art of omission is the art of selling).

You can also say, "Do you ever find yourself in a position where you can hire speakers or entertainers for an event?" I ask them this question because it immediately tells me whether or not they're in my target market. If they say no very fast then I know they can't hire me and I might practice other things on them. If they hesistate and say "not really" then they might be in my market but just don't realize it because they've never hired a speaker or entertainer (although they could).

3rd Step...Draw them to you- When you're finished performing say "If you have an event coming up and need entertainment then give me a call." I've gotten to a point where I don't give out my card unless asked for it because people who ask for it are more likely to call you. But by saying that line, you entice them to ask for your card and when they do I usually say, "Oh did you have an event in mind?" Usually they will talk about a certain event and then I will tell them to just give me a call and we can see if I'll be available.

All of this is done in a close up setting and the lines I gave aren't all used. I only use about two or three when performing close up. In a stage setting it is easier. You perform, perform perform, and drop lines in your effects like "I get to travel and perform for all kinds of people so..." or "I did this last week for Remax and...." Then towards the end of the show I tell them that this is what I do for a living and don't hesitate to come up to me after the show and give me their card.

Ultimately, you create value before you ever hand out your business card. That is why I HATE tricks with business cards and hoping they will keep it. If you haven't created value before doing that business card trick then they will throw it out. And if you have created value then you don't need to do any trick with your card.

Here is a video you might enjoy of Joel Bauer talking about how to close people (before they're even born lol)...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/hdavidfrey/videos/140/
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
An outstanding post Benji.

Out-freaking-standing!

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2290 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Thank you, Benji. That was exactly what I needed to hear!!
I need to marinate in that one for a while.

Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How to increase the value of my card / giveaway? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL