The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Civlity in Japan while going through Earthquakes,Tsunamis & Nuclear disaster is incredible... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I wanted to point this out as a separate thread...

Incredible restraint and civility shown in Japan right now.

No reported looting. None.

They queue for everything still.

On normal days it is a given maybe (or not), but while going through all that?

Personifies this saying I read somewhere...

"While we cannot control everything that happens to us, we can control how we react to it."

Inspirational really... Grace under fire for sure. Smile

Prayers sent out to them right now...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
That is wonderful to hear. Great people the Japanese.

Katrina 'victims' are still looting, mostly in Houston, but where ever they happen to be.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Keep in mind a lot of the "looting" after katrina was not actually looting at all.
Not saying there wasn't looting, but there was plenty of editorializing in the reporting of what was happening.

Any who, in Japan, there already was a lot less street theft, if I recall.

When I lived there, nearly no one locked their bikes. Lots of people rode shooters, and they would leave bottles of wine, and other groceries in the back of them while they did other shopping.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Indeed they are very cool.

Some perspective on The Japan Earthquake - From an American fellow living there which is informative, interesting and cool headed. Good luck to him and them.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2011/03/13/some......thquake/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Public behavior towards resident aliens was not so civil after the 1923 earthquake. The present example shows considerable improvement! So far, at least.

Woland
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Watched some 13 years old school boys today walking miles every day through the rubble to collect food for the young and elderly in the shelter where they are staying.

I have known a couple of bad Japanese and when they are bad - they are very bad, but they are a real minority. Something in modern Japanese culture produces an extremely civil and decent people.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Interesting article on "Slate":

"Why so little looting in Japan? It's not just about honesty."

http://www.slate.com/id/2288514/
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
The Japanese culture is a fascinating one.
I do worry about the high suicide rates.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2011-03-21 10:46, panlives wrote:
Interesting article on "Slate":

"Why so little looting in Japan? It's not just about honesty."

http://www.slate.com/id/2288514/

Interesting article - positive reinforcement basically - not a bad thing - and I thought that 'broken windows' thing in New York was a good idea at the time - seemed to make sense - do they still have that? - was it called 'zero tolerance' or something similar?

Critter, the suicide rates are awful but I suspect more to do with the pressure to succeed than their politeness and honesty.

Years ago I lived with the best mannered, most decent honest guy I've ever known - a Japanese - and once a month he exploded for a couple of hours with pent up rage and frustration. I eventually gave up trying to help him through it and just disappeared the moment I sensed it coming on.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah, no I didn't think politeness led them to jump.
~Will Rogers
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:

Years ago I lived with the best mannered, most decent honest guy I've ever known - a Japanese - and once a month he exploded for a couple of hours with pent up rage and frustration. I eventually gave up trying to help him through it and just disappeared the moment I sensed it coming on.

Sounds like my ex wife.
You know why don't act naive.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
As Destiny said, it seems likely tied to pressure, tied to schooling too.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Well there seem to be a multitude of reasons. Part of it may be the school. Part of it is how the economy has hit salaryman culture. Part of it is social pressures. Part of it might even be the high pressure tactics of lenders (because Japan has suicide insurance which will pay the loan off.)
I wasn't really talking about causation when I brought it up. It's a problem is all I was getting at.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The suicide rate is a sad thing really, a fact very strange when you see them now... Must be the pressure to succeed with such high expectations and competition.

If I dare be so bold, it almost has a sepukku/harakiri undertone (I mean that with all the respect in the world btw...), where "honor" is the most important thing, above life even.

Every suicide makes the world poorer for it.

Because of the lost potential(s).

Which is very sad. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Quote:
On 2011-03-16 17:22, gdw wrote:
Keep in mind a lot of the "looting" after katrina was not actually looting at all.
Not saying there wasn't looting, but there was plenty of editorializing in the reporting of what was happening.

Any who, in Japan, there already was a lot less street theft, if I recall.

When I lived there, nearly no one locked their bikes. Lots of people rode shooters, and they would leave bottles of wine, and other groceries in the back of them while they did other shopping.

Some took what they needed because they were desperate..
I'm not saying people looted just because of that, some stole electronics
and other wants rather then needs. But some people stole diapers and
other necessities because they struggled to support their family. In that
sense I can understand why as the economy is down the toilet..

It doesn't make it right, but sometimes you have to
do what have to do..
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
You are correct McAllister, but I was actually referring to the times people were all acting together, helping each other salvage their own property, and the news people stood back and called them looters.

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I would loot some coconut shrimp right now. Like 5 dozen skewers. Loot me some sweet chili sauce for dippin' too.
~Will Rogers
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Ofcourse, then again the news always shines negitive light into everything.
Fear tactics, instead of showing people pulling together they show looting.

Untold stories should have had the spotlight.

Like many people standing on rooftops or people swimming
to save innocent lives...
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
TOKYO -- "The earthquake and tsunami that pulverized coastal Japan crippled a bank's security mechanisms and left a vault wide open. That allowed someone to walk off with $500,000.

The March 11 tsunami washed over the Shinkin Bank, like much else in Kesennuma, and police said between the wave's power and the ensuing power outages, the vault came open.

"The bank was flooded, and things were thrown all over. It was a total mess. Somebody stole the money in the midst of the chaos," said a police official in Miyagi prefecture, where Kesennuma is located.

The bank notified police on Tuesday, 11 days after the disaster, said the official, who spoke on customary condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the media."

There is one in every crowd!
You know why don't act naive.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Probably a visiting Aussie - there's something about an open unguarded vault full of money we just can't resist.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Civlity in Japan while going through Earthquakes,Tsunamis & Nuclear disaster is incredible... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL