The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » One liners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
After a card fountain or if you bump a table and drop several items, bend over to retrieve them, "This is where my act is picking up."
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
cat26
View Profile
New user
Manitoba, Canada
99 Posts

Profile of cat26
When you drop something, "Brought to you by Maxwell House. Good to the last drop." Sometimes it's fun to be clumsy.

Cheers... Smile
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
If you are doing a kid's party and a self-working trick or mechanical trick (like Card in Frame) doesn't work then you could say something like, "There isn't enough magical aura in the room, we have to go on to a different trick now." The kids will believe anything. Smile
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
Ha, my thing to say as I'm doing a routine which involves a spectator (sponge balls) is having the spectator make a "magical" pass over my hand and site the incantation of, "Woogie woogie woogie." It usually gets a laugh.

Then I continue the multiplying routine. Have them do it again, "Woogie woogie woogie." They say it. I then say, "Now wait, say it backwards but put more emphasis on the 'oo' going into the 'g'."

It gets a laugh. Kinda stupid but it works. Smile
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magician™
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
shahin
View Profile
New user
Germany
87 Posts

Profile of shahin
Guys, check out Giobbi's chapter on humor in Card College 5 (last chapter). It's full of jokes and one-liners! The good thing is, that is it well organized!

Shahin
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Please tell me that no one actually USES most of the lines mentioned here!

The bottom line remains: Humor in a routine must come OUT of the routine; it can't be grafted onto it.

BTW, submagi, you say you have a line that you "picked up" from the Amazing Jonathan. Did he actually give you permission to use part of his material or was the line stolen?

Do we have an ethical issue here? Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Come one you guys. Never insult a spectator! Even if you're kidding!

People are smart. They know when you're using canned crap...I mean patter. Leave it in the can.
Daniel Faith
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2003-09-17 22:22, thehawk wrote:
"I could tell you but then I would have to kill you".
First heard it by Lance Burton.

"Could you tell my wife then?"
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2874 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-01-28 02:00, Guardian wrote:
Come one you guys. Never insult a spectator! Even if you're kidding!

Yeah, you wouldn't want to push the envelope, or do the unexpected, or anything like that. Have you ever seen Don Rickles or magician Gazzo? These guys thrive on insults, and their audiences LOVE them for it. As long as the majority of the audience is laughing and having a good time, you are doing your job. Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Well, sometimes. Maybe. Rodney Dangerfield used to do an "insult" act until one night he picked on the wrong guys. They waited for him after the show and almost put him in hospital. He changed his act, needless to say.

So you have to be very, very careful if you are going to do that. Very, very few people are good enough to carry it off. And even those who are usually have more sense than to do it!

Smile (<-- See what I mean?)
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
236 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
Magic friends,

Here are a couple of one-liners for you that I use in my act and have for years. I did not steal them, I got them from many different sources which I either paid for or got the permission for, some I made up from just performing. Well here it goes:
  1. Magician stands on the left side of the stage, "Thank you, it's great to be here." Magician walks to the right side of the stage. "It's even better over here!"
  2. After applause, "If that's all you have, save it!"
  3. After single applause, "Don't clap on your own or I will have to throw you a fish."
  4. To person with their arms folded, "Look, a bouncer from Toys R Us."
  5. In change bag routine as you unzip the bottom of the bag, "Look the bag is so empty I can open the bottom...Not my bottom, the bottom of the bag!"
  6. If children have seen a trick before, "Hands up if you have seen this before? Hands up if you want to see it again!"
  7. If a trick goes wrong, "It's the first day with my new hands."
  8. "Look, nothing up my sleaves...Except my arms!"
  9. In warm up say to children, "Hands up if you have your arms folded." Smile
  10. In warm up say to the kids, "Hands up if you will give me your mums' and dads' Visa card numbers and expiry dates."
I know loads so if you would like to post more so will I.

Matthew Johnson Smile
willrob999
View Profile
Regular user
UK
102 Posts

Profile of willrob999
I use

Is this your wife or are you out for a good time?

and the one I usually open up with is

I did a show in a old people home the other day don't know if it was any good but they wet themselves anyway.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
233 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Before I throw a ball out into the audience for the purpose of randomly selecting someone, I instruct whoever catches the ball to hand it off to the nearest or best looking person they see.

If a man comes up on stage, I say "Hmmm, I see they went with the nearest one."

Avi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » One liners (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL