The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The 2 last skills I want (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Hey how's it going everyone. Mentalism is my first passion but I also have a deep love for the old carnival sideshow skills. I've got the Human Blockhead, Human Pincushion, Wayne Houchin's Thread and some Strong Man stunts down. The last two skills I'm interested in learning are Glass Eating and Sword Swallowing.

I understand Todd Robbins had a video out in the Greater Magic Library called Magic of the Sideshow where he teaches these two skills. Does anyone have it? Todd's a amazing performer and I can't imagine it (the video) being anything less them wonderful -- but does anyone have any thoughts or reviews of it?

Thanks for you time!
~Robert EC
Rob-ing you of your thoughts www.themindofrobert.weebly.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
If you can learn glass eating and SS from a video then your a far better man than me !! Also I find it hard to beleive that Todd would attempt to teach such things via any media.

It took me four plus months to sink the first sword with one on one tuition and a lot longer than that to grow a pair with tuition before I sank the first bulb.
Over the past 40 years I have worked my way through Blackpool Illuminations and I don't care what anyone says, each and every time I do it,its done with caution, it has its own risk and I had a good teacher.

SS is fine for me now but GE I only do when the fee is high.

Ken.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5109 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
EC, you need a human teacher for these, not a video.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm still looking to get the video. If anything I can get as much info as I can before I find a teacher.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Contact Steven's Magic Emporium for that video. And please look at this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=23&8
E.C. Valdemar
View Profile
Veteran user
Orange County, CA
301 Posts

Profile of E.C. Valdemar
TODD! Thank you so much coming on board. I contacted them sometime ago and they said they were out of stock. I found one deal late last year who had one copy -- but it was on VHS and I didn't trust my VCR to play the tape w/out eating it. And now that I have a VCR that works I don;t seem to be getting any replies from him. >:-(

And thank you so much sharing that thread. Really means a lot.

~Robert EC
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2906 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The video has never been converted to DVD. Morris Costumes used to have some, but there is nothing about it on their website. One of these days, I will redo that video and update it.
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
If you're in Orange County there should be a multitude of performers that are in your area, why not try contacting George the Giant?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Glass eating would certainly be the last skill I'd want. Kudo's to those who do, but no thanks. I well may be a wimp, but I'd rather rip up my stomach in a lot of other ways (with Little Debbies topping the list).

EC-The audience knows what they're getting, not what they're not getting. Pass on the glass eating. Learn to swallow light sabers instead, or something relatively safe.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I'm not interested in eating glass either. I respect those who have the skill, but it's not for me. I'll stick to bending and breaking ****.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
I've eaten lightbulbs for sheets and giggles, under the supervision of Red Stuart (who, keep in mind has three teeth left). I find that it is good to know HOW the stunts/acts are done and the methodology behind them. For example, I know HOW to do blockhead, I choose not to as I do not like how it feels on my upper palate. Knowing the technique and proper preparation for sword swallowing won't help me get one down, but makes sure I can fabricate swords that will go down easy. Again, these are things I have done under the tutelage of experienced professionals who not only know what to do, but more importantly what NOT to do.... it's not so much of skill, Critter, but knowledge. There's nothing wrong with "more input!!"
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Good point. Knowledge good.
~Will Rogers
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Cuz knowledge is power!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Knowing is also half the battle, GI Joe.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Nipps, I think you hit on another crucial point, having the supervision of an established expert. Since I don't have someone here in person to show me and watch and make sure I haven't missed anything important then I am surely not going to do anything potentially fatal.
There are more things I would like to add to my act, but not until I get out of school and can travel to someone who can "fine tune" it for me.
~Will Rogers
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
The last two skills that I want to acquire are the ability to operate a sewer/septic pump and anything involvong the business end of a colonoscopy.

I've been thinking a lot about this topic and these two are definitely at the bottom of my list. I'm sure, however, that there are other notsocoveted skills that when mentioned may fall to the bottom of my personal list.

This is what you mean when you say that the last to skills you would want to learn are glass eating and sword swallowing, right?

Chris
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
After reading this thread..It reminded me of when I was 12 and had purchased Don Boles trio of Classics...When I finished reading them, I tried to convince my Father to let me drop out of school so I could climb Don's mountain top and learn the Knowledge that one would need to survive ..(unlike the crap the school was trying to teach me)...Never the Less, My Father did not see it quite my way...Yet it is comforting to know Knowledge is still being sought..Although, If it is Glass eating...I would have to agree w/ my late (Great) Father...Stay in School Kid!..
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » The 2 last skills I want (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL