The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Pull String behind the head puppets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
What can you guys tell me about these kind of hard figure puppets? Are they inferior to other hard figure puppets?
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
According to the book "Better Living Through Ventriloquism" a book of the month pick from blueshawk1, you have a much better chance of picking up a woman with a professional, full feature figure, with blinkers than with a pull the string behind the head model
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Pull string in the neck=toy.

Nothing wrong with toys. This year they got an Academy Award.

-Philip
James "Jimmy" Eisenberg
View Profile
New user
New York City
22 Posts

Profile of James
With the right material it could make for a humorous routine.
Its not the puppet its what you do with it.

The biggest draw back is that the head can not turn.
A good performer doesn't need lots of fancy movements but a moving head defines direction of attention, for the Audience and performers.

Jimmy
James "Jimmy" Eisenberg
www.ventriloquistsideshow.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Well, that's certainly true. Good material and a good vent can lay 'em in the aisles with a nutcracker. Or a pair of pliers. Smile

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
That's true, but it's still a toy.

Quote:
According to the book "Better Living Through Ventriloquism" a book of the month pick from blueshawk1,

That wasn't my pick of the month, I just asked about it - remember, you actually own a copy.....
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-19 22:12, blueshawk1 wrote:

Quote:
According to the book "Better Living Through Ventriloquism" a book of the month pick from blueshawk1,

That wasn't my pick of the month, I just asked about it - remember, you actually own a copy.....

I purchased the book because you are my good friend and my friend wanted information; I never let a friend down, so I ran out and got a copy so I could review it for you

BTW your off topic, you should be answering this in the other thread
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Oh, so it was totally a result of your altruisti nature....I see....although I think you had the book before I asked about it.....

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 11:13, blueshawk1 wrote:
Oh, so it was totally a result of your altruisti nature....I see....although I think you had the book before I asked about it.....

I purchased the book in anticipation of your question.

Since I am now a Magician,as well as a Ventriloquist, I can perform mentalist illusions and I purchased the book in advance of your inquiry to demonstrate my abilities.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-20 11:26, Howie Diddot wrote:
Since I am mental, I purchased the book to demonstrate my (dis)abilities.

Edit out the extra words and the truth comes out.

Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 13:55, blueshawk1 wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-03-20 11:26, Howie Diddot wrote:
Since I am mental, I purchased the book to demonstrate my (dis)abilities.

Edit out the extra words and the truth comes out.

I perform mentalist illusions and I knew you were going to edit my post

I know what you’re thinking now
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
I know what BOTH of you are thinking.
AND my lips don't even move.

-Philip
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I am a mentalist; I had a vision that you were going to contribute to the thread.

Oh... I am going to buy a live rabbit to use in my act
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Buzz -

I recommend you read this thread on the Café before you get your rabbit:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17

Pay careful attention to my post where I talk about "if you are advertising".

The USDA requires a license for performing animals - even rabbits. Some venues also required current health certificates, which is when the costs started to soar and I dropped live animals from my act.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Quote:

So does that mean a Hand Puppet is still just a Hand or a sock puppet just a Sock. There were some very Famous Vents that just used a sock as a Puppet or One that comes to mind that drew Eyes on his hand and just used his Hand, I believe it does not matter what kind of figure you use, it is how you use the figure that matters.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Tom;

Thank for your very valuable information.

I have called the USDA and they are sending me the information and paperwork.

The fee for the rabbit is $40.00 per year and I need to visit the vet with my bunny, a task I was going to perform anyhow.

Nothing is different about owning the rabbit; I was going to have him checked and the other requirements are no different than my plans of where I would keep him and how I treat him.

Again thanks for telling me about the USDA your a lifesaver.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I just got off the phone with the USDA as well. I too will be getting the information and paperwork. I was not told about the $40 fee. That's not bad. All I knew was that there was a $10 application fee. I know there is some kind of field agent who does an inspection and you have 3 attempts to pass an inspection. If you fail those 3 attempts you have to wait 6 months.
I find it funny, I think even in today's times it would be easier to buy an automatic weapon to producing a rabbit for a magic show. How does that saying go: You'll have to pry my rabbit from my cold dead hands.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Just follow their regs and get clarification from the inspector if you have questions. Its really pretty simple, but the inspections don't always happen at a great time.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-21 10:33, MagicB1S wrote:
Quote:

So does that mean a Hand Puppet is still just a Hand or a sock puppet just a Sock. There were some very Famous Vents that just used a sock as a Puppet or One that comes to mind that drew Eyes on his hand and just used his Hand, I believe it does not matter what kind of figure you use, it is how you use the figure that matters.

Really? There were people that did that? Wow, I never knew.... Smile
When it comes to soft figures, it's s totally different story, it's always pretty much been "anything goes", I've bought soft puppets in toy stores myself that were good figures, but the op wasn't about soft figures, it was about hard figures and a pull string doll's place in that realm.
As Philip said;
Quote:
Good material and a good vent can lay 'em in the aisles with a nutcracker. Or a pair of pliers. Smile

My comment that you quoted was a response to that, because it is true, and someone could conceivably use one of those pull string doll figures, and probably even do a killer bit with one.
But with that said, while it is possible, if you found someone using one, it would more than likely be a quick novelty bit. In the realm of hard figures and those who use them, generally speaking, the pull string dolls are considered a toy, and you are not likely to find anyone who does use hard figures using a vent doll as a regular figure.

wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I'm glad to hear about this. As far as hard figures go, I really do not know much about them. When I asked the guy that was selling a hard figure with a pull string this question, he evaded the question. That was when I knew something fishy was going on.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Pull String behind the head puppets (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL