The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Appearance.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BXL
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of BXL
How much time do you place on your appearance and body language to add to your presentation?
artofmanipulation
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
121 Posts

Profile of artofmanipulation
Since its street magic that you guys are into, I guess that not much attention should be paid on the attire. From my point of view a street magician should have the ‘street look’. I think it would be inappropriate for a street magician to be wearing tall hat, tux and stuff like that. The stronger the street Turk look, the stronger the effect… well just my thought.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Just be yourself in the appearance. You will look more relaxed. I'm always fast on my first effect. After I broke the ice, now I can slow down.
BXL
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of BXL
Right, but I believe you should also develop a character albeit even if it is simply wearing a t-shirt that reads, "I see dead people." A subtle indication that there is something different about you. They say, 90% of communication in nonverbal and appearance is about 70% of that. So THEY say.
artofmanipulation
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
121 Posts

Profile of artofmanipulation
I have seen people who have incredible card handling ability. Their trick is sure as magical from every aspect but there is just something about the casual T-shirt and the jeans that he is wearing that makes him a mortal.

Don't believe me? Just imagine your favorite rock band in casual over sized
T-shirt and a pair of jeans that you see everyday on the street that might suggest lousy fashion sense and ask yourself if they are still your favorite band? Y

Yes because it is their music that you like and not what they wear or what they look like? Okay, try imagine them in the same thing but this time try harder.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Yes, yes, yes! Wear a tux, with top hat and tails, if you can get it, or a zoot suit, or a gypsy shirt and vest, always wear a hat or some type of head covering, go to some retro store and put together a vaudeville showman's outfit, get a clown suit ... well, OK, maybe not a clown suit.

The point is, you don't have a camera crew and advance team setting up crowds for you, so you have to set yourself apart from the crowd. Hey, I love magic, and I don't even mind card tricks, but if some kid comes up to me and says, "Hey, you want to see something really cool," -- and he's dressed like he just hopped off a skateboard -- I'm going to say, "No," and keep on moving. And I know and appreciate street theater!

The point is, you want to stand out as somebody who wants to be noticed. You want people to look at you and think, "Hmm, I wonder what's up with this character?" So either dress as a character, of some type, or dress better than anyone you're likely to perform for.

You get exactly once chance to make a first impression, and you've got something like seven to 10 seconds to make it, so you better make the most of it.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, make magic happen!
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Great Advice MagiUlysses! Well Said Smile

As a clown I spend quite a bit of prep time. When not in face, I dress one step above or 12 steps to the side of my audience. (Outlandish works for me, too.)
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
The zoot suit may be too far, but my friends & I wear black slacks, lounge shirts, and dress shoes (with a zoot chain). This always sets us one step above the rest of the people walking around [Baltimore Inner Harbor!].
But as a reverse piece of advice, we always dress like that because that IS who we are: we're swing kids! (ok, I'm 22...)

The Moral? Be yourself, but be better than everyone else! ;P

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Jeff McBride told me to always dress like you are going someplace better later. I think that developing a character will force you to change your appearance to better suit the character you are portraying. After all, we are all just actors playing the part of a magician, right? I also believe that dressing how you normally dress is okay for the fulltime magician. By that I don't mean a person who only makes their money doing magic, but someone who lives "in character". Because magicians who live the part usually dress differently, and act differently in public anyway.
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.jamesanthonymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Appearance.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL