The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet's Elevation Relative to Yours (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
1111 Posts

Profile of Bob Baker
This has been touched on briefly elsewhere, but I'm curious to find out what all of you do.

What is your puppet's elevation (height) relative to yours? I follow Bill DeMar's advice and have the puppet's eye level about even with my nose. But I've noticed that Terry Fator keeps his puppets' heights well above him. This makes sense in Terry's act, I suppose, since he is putting the emphasis on his singing puppets.

The question of relative heights does have some relevance to the interplay of the the two characters. Does having the puppet lower than the vent establish the vent's dominance? Would having both at the same height make them equal partners? What does it say if the puppet is higher than the vent?

Personally, I like keeping the figures at a lower level because I think it helps get the audience on the puppet's side. They're rooting for the little guy over the big, controlling guy. There is a fair amount of vent-puppet rivalry in some of my routines, and everyone likes to see the little guy "give it" to the big guy.

It may all come down to arm comfort. I find that my arm tires more easily if the puppet is higher.

Ok, chime in everyone!

Bob

P.S. Oscar and I are are about the same height in our photo because that's how the photographer wanted it.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Mine are usually about even with me or even a little lower. Higher would be pretty physically tiring, I think.

-Philip
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I like keeping the puppet's eyes on a level with mine. It makes the audience comfortable to watch an act where there is physical balance between you and your character. But that's just me..

Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
608 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Since I don't use vent stands these days and just sit my figures on my knee when performing, my figures' head is naturally lower than mine. Old-style vent position. I guess it boils down to being comfortable. I tried once placing my figure higher than me but it didn't work very well for me.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
My boy character is lower than me...

My world champion boxer is a bit higher than me...

My animal characters are at eye level with me...

Wanlu Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dash & Me
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Dash & Me
Great topic Bob. I like to keep mine slightly lower for the simple reason that I like the way the figure looks a little bit assuming when he tilts his head up to look at me.

Troy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
When my guy is on a stand or box of some sort I like to be eye-ball to eye-ball with him. But when I am holding him in my arms, he is naturally a bit lower than me.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I can't even imagine having the figure higher. For the most part, mine are a little lower.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Most are eye to eye.

I have one puppet that has a higher level of energy.
At times he jumps up and sits on my shoulder, putting his eyes above mine.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Puppet's Elevation Relative to Yours (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL