The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » License to use Bunny in show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
Hey Alpha, glad to hear you chime in. I was one of those that was caught. but it wasnt a bad experience at all. unknowingly, the inspector was sitting in the audience, enjoying the show, she even complimented the program and its educational value. She made it known that she was with the USDA immediately, and was very kind. She asked if the Rabbit was licensed, and I stated that" licensed, heck he cant even drive". I got a chuckle //// then the explanation. she was very kind and showed me the paperwork that we would need to get started. We only had a few days left at the fair so I asked her if that meant that we would need to take the Rabbit out of the show for know. Then in a casual way, she let me know that she doubts she would be out to inspect any more due to her schedule, so maybe I could finish up the fair dates. BUT..... make sure it gets done!!!! we finished up the dates, and I immediately followed up with the process of licensing. Each year we make that Particular fair, she always shows up for a visit BEFORE the fair opens, does her inspections, we have a great working relationship. Be kind to your Inspectors and they will be kind and helpful to you. Alpha in your friends case, he would only have issues if it was a very public performance, or,,, if he was tricked into doing a private show for the agent. I doubt the agent would Bust a birthday party, shoot teargas in and advance on the magician,,,,LOL. But the good part is he was forewarned. give me a shout alpha, I want to burn a shoe....LOL.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I'm just wondering, does one bring their Bunny license to the shows they do? Also, I guess, since I never do shows outside of a 50 mile radius from where I live I would only have 1 inspector and of course they would know I have a license. Is this correct?

Chris
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
If you hear about license requirements being set up for the hookbills, pls let me know. We take excellent care of our birds and the only one I use in a show right now is Sunny the Cockatiel, and him maybe a few times a year.

Still, you want to be in compliance. Its a warm fuzzy feeling if nothing else. The rules do exist for a reason.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Wizardpa. yes you must keep your records with you, If you are at home with your animal, then papers should be at home for review in case of a visit. If you are on the road, even if just for that 30 minute private visit, then paperwork needs to travel with the animal at all times and all locations for review in case of a visit. As far as the 50 mile radius, You more than likely would have the same inspector for that region. I am guessing once you explain your situation to them, ... once they do the first inspection and all goes well, if they understand that your bookings will be all close to home, then he may want a performance schedule. This would be hard to do since you may get some spur of the moment bookings, They will understand this. So the key is, send in a schedule of when you can have records of schedule, then in case of a surprise visit, have the paperwork with you any way. So it is not like you are trying to get away with anything. Once your inspector hears what you are doing, they are going to think,,, WHAT.. JUST ONE RABBIT TO INSPECT???? these guys are used to doing Sanctuaries with Big Cats, Mammals, Etc. an individual with A circus. or sanctuary... My Inspoector thinks it is a bit silly that he has to come check out one rabbit, but we both go thru the motions. So the key is, keep papers with you and the animal, try your best to give them a schedule, and if you can't... don't sweat it, these folks will work with you and your 2 rabbits

Posted: Apr 2, 2011 9:43pm
Cybercat, They tell me it will be possibly years before any sort of rules to follow will be organized for the hookbills. This is just from the USDA. not sure about any other organization. But I understand your point, It is not like the USDA is getting rich from this, they only charge me 40 bucks all together for the year, and that covers up to 4 animals or more under that one license, so I figure 10 bucks a rabbit, cant beat that, Not like the government is going to helpcorrect our National debt with this funding...LOL. And you are also correct to have pride in provising great care for our animal family, they should be treated right to begin with, so licensing should not be an issue but a blessing to show that you are up to organized standards. And those standards are meant to help that critter be comfortable and live long and prosper. I like your attitude.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Keeping anyone interested in the licensing process, I received info from the USDA today. It is notice that they received my application and that my inspector will be contacting me soon to set up my first prelicense inspection.
I also received some more forms, APHIS form 7019, record of animals on hand, and APHIS form 7020, record of acquisition, disposition, or transit of animals.
I'm at this point in the licensing process after exactly 2 weeks after my first phone call to the USDA.

Posted: Apr 7, 2011 4:28pm
For anyone following this, I got a call from my inspector today. He said that if the Government shuts down, then he will not be able to inspect me until Republicans and Democrats agree on the budget.
Gee, and I thought I might break a record getting my license faster then anyone ever.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Wizardpa - I am laughing at what you said! Guess the rates just went up! *LOL* Republicans and Democrats agree? You may be waiting a LONG time! *LOL* Really, laughing at your post.

-Alpha
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Yea Alpha, you know what? I better check to see just how long do rabbits live. They both just might not live long enough for me to get my license, Republicans and Democrats agreeing, Ha!

Whenever I tell anyone I need a license to produce a rabbit in a magic show, no one believes me. There is no wonder we are in debt.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I have had people after a bday show ask "so where is the rabbit?" and when I tell them that there are laws now in effect that require the production of a rabbit, theirs mouth's just drop open. They understand, and are taken back at the absurd laws there are. Same with my colored doves (past). They are white again, for now, only because of questions and the law in a neighboring state that does not allow for that kind of thing, and if I travel plenty through that state. Even transporting an animal of not a natural color (dog, rabbits, etc.) is against the law, so, would rather not risk the hassle. Fun stuff, huh? *smile*

-Alpha
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Record of acquisition, this is the form I was telling you about pa. Basically give them an idea of where you got him from, then if he croaks, when did he croak, and where did he get disposed. Wild stuff for a magic rabbit. I think I am going to start pulling politicians out of my hat. keep us posted
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
OK, I'm getting my inspection this Wednesday. Just a little over 3 weeks since I made my original phone call to the USDA.
I will be in shock if I do not pass this Wednesday. As far as I know I have everything ready.

Chris
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Excellent
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Yea! I passed my inspection. I'll probably receive my license next week. I gave my inspector my $30 check and he will send the paperwork off to where it needs to go. If anyone needs their license super fast then you can over night the inspection report to where it needs to go.
I must say the whole process was very painless. First off, I can not see anyone housing their rabbits in an unhealthy environment to begin with. Next, the $40 per year fee should not be a reason not to get your license.
I can see someone not knowing about the law to begin with. But once you know, get a license.
As a word of warning though. Do not ask for a packet and not go through the process of getting a license.
You are pretty much telling the USDA that you use a rabbit in your show and have decided not to get a license.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Congratulations my friend, you are official. Glad you are on board with the licensing, It is a good thing for both parties involved ( you and the Rabbit). Once your audience learns what you have done, this is a plus in their eyes as to how much you care for your animal family, Not saying that those that do not license don't, but this is a positive reinforcement of the fact that you do care. Also great to have this for when one is approached by anyone that is any sort of activist.If you explain the process to the activist (vet visit, housing conditions etc. ) They tend to backdown and support you a bit more.great job PA. I am proud for you today.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Thanks Chris, I am so grateful of your help and support. I hope to help others as well.

Once I actually have my license in hand, I'm going to put pictures of my rabbits on my web site and I'm going to also mention that I have a license for them.

I'm going to re-post videos I have, of performances of my bunnies on youtube.

I'm a little surprised that more people have not posted some sort of reply about this. I'm just guessing here, but I would think that most magicians that use rabbits in their show do not have a license.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Good for you! happy for you. I no longer use a rabbit in my shows. Once my rabbit passed, I just never got another pet rabbit. My daughters want one BAD (so if I did get one, it wouldn't be for show, just for them to have a pet), but its actually nice for me to carry less around during travel, and one less thing to worry about since I carry so many doves with me. I DO have an up-to-date vet statement that I carry with me for my doves, but I am happy right now without the rabbit. If I do get another pet rabbit for show, I will go the license route to be safe, but for now I'm content *smile*. Again, happy for you and now go public with the rabbit and smile big! *haha*

-Alpha
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
I must say that everyone from the USDA was extremely helpful. The entire process was easy.
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Send me links to the vids when you get them posted
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Well I finally got everything the USDA requires to conform to the regulations and saved up the $10.00 from my allowance for the application fee.

I have an appointment to take my rabbit’s in for his yearly physical; I sent in the application and now I will wait for my inspection; soon I will be able to use my rabbit for shows
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Howie, Glad to hear you are taking the extra step, you wont regret it.
wizardpa
View Profile
Inner circle
The New Orleans area
1011 Posts

Profile of wizardpa
Yea! I'm legal now. I got my license yesterday. The whole process took only 5 weeks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » License to use Bunny in show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL