The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic implants -- pros and cons (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Don't forget to oil it often to prevent rust. Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Arkadiy K
View Profile
New user
November Woods
73 Posts

Profile of Arkadiy K
A nickel-steel alloy with the right kind of plastic coating ought to do it.

:exclaim:
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Hare
You can do bullet-catching effects with this too, to put it to a good second use!

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 4:58pm
Sung to 'The Tin Man's Song' rather creatively.

(verse)

If a mans an empty kettle,
Full of magnets and also metal,
Attractive to PK;

He can make lots of money,
Using magnets doin' magic,
And show up on Today!

(chorus)

Oh, I, could foil a gun,
Stopping bullets with my thumb.
My heart it jumps,
Near ferrous-lumps!

(verse 2)

I'm attractive with the ladies,
The ones decked in metal-chicanery,
They cannot stay away.

The more Bling! I say the better,
Just keep me from es-cal-a-tors,
And keep
500 pound anvils,
Out-of my-way.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
kinzo
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of kinzo
Haha, that's interesting. You could do some amazing stuff, I wonder if your body would eventually spit it out. I had a deep splinter one time that I thought would never come out and it eventually just worked it's way back to the surface of my skin sideways after a few months, really weird.

Posted: Mar 24, 2011 7:26am
After thinking about it, I think that was because it was in my skin and that's the way skin grows (duh! ). Skin toned magnets would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to worry when swapping out a hard drive
JosephKerr
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
383 Posts

Profile of JosephKerr
There is a body modification expert that will implant a magnet in your hand. Its actually quite cool. The magnet has to be encased in a Silicone casing to prevent it from breaking down in your body. One
of the cooler results is that you will become able to sense electromagnetic fields in the environment around you. If you've ever been wearing a PK ring and walking down the street and you can suddenly feel it vibrating,
it's similar to that. I'm in NYC and when I'm walking through mid-town it happens all of the time.
http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2006/06/71087

This article is from 2006 and I'm sure he's made improvements on his methodology over time.

In some of the early models, the outer sheath would break down and expose the magnet. Then the magnet would eventually shatter within the persons hand and they would lose the magnetic "power", however after time the magnet would reassemble and the power would come back
"Challenge Your Reality"
Arkadiy K
View Profile
New user
November Woods
73 Posts

Profile of Arkadiy K
Thanks, Joseph! I wasn't too serious when I started this thread, but it was interesting to read that article.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
They can grow live Sanada gimmicks on mice now.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
Consider hiding a magnet under a band-aid on the back of your hand.
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
How about a PK Ring.
rdwinc
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of rdwinc
The Band-aid idea is just too cool - I can't wait. I have a insulin wireless pump that is stuck to me - and when I explain what it is - they believe it - well it's true - but just think....
David
David Sacks

Wheaton, Maryland
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2011-04-07 19:26, PAUL K wrote:
How about a PK Ring.

Paul, if you are actually using a PK ring in real life, you irremediably realized that it places the magnet in the hand at a place that is not totally convenient. This either forces you to limit its use or to make strange "magician's moves"

The band aid is a practical solution to have the magnet wherever you need it. A magician (sorry I forgot his name) had the idea of placing one on his neck with an upper unstuck part for collecting or ditching coins). Eric Jones places one on his inner fore arm and came with the misdirection moves for collecting a coin set from there in the most magical way... I'm using one on the second knuckle (close to the outer one) of the ring finger for a side magnet chop cup. A PK ring cannot do this for you.

Another practical overlooked solution is the one invented by the very smart British magician William Zavis who placed a magnet half way into his wand and, according to the way the wand is held (between the first finger and thumb or in rest position between the first and middle finger), it naturally makes contact with the object to attract or not. He demonstrated it with too short a wand in a cups and balls routine but the principle is very ingenious. I worked on the principle using a magnet sliding in a restricted space (from 1/2 to 3/4) inside a wand (with sponge as shock absorbers) in a real size wand and developped the required moves following William Zavis' concept. In my Cylinder and Coins routine it enabled me to work miracles that magicians could probably not otherwise hope for.

Now who says that if you are using a magnetic wand you cannot use another magnet under a band aid as well for varying the means to your different effects...? Are we bound to use only one palming technique? Is it a shame to combine palming with a shuttle pass or a Change Over Palm?

Does sitting on the shoulders of the giants that came before us means that we should simply stay on our a**es there doing only what they are carrying us for?
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
You guys are too creepy for me. I'm going over to "Knots and Loops" for awhile:)
Jumbopenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Bay Area, Northern California USA
250 Posts

Profile of Jumbopenny
Quote:
On 2011-04-14 23:44, oso2you wrote:
You guys are too creepy for me. I'm going over to "Knots and Loops" for awhile:)

lol
Bill Wood
View Profile
New user
Nova Scotia
94 Posts

Profile of Bill Wood
I bought a product a few years ago called "The Unicorn" it was marketed as being the next "Raven". Well young and inexperienced me was rather unimpressed with the a magnet and a band aid and the instructions 'wear it on your wrist'. Now looking back I think it's probably a viable vanish.
k
View Profile
Loyal user
Marseille
282 Posts

Profile of k
The band air idea is a great one, imma use that !

My hands crack in the upper part of my palm when I tense them a certain way.. the patter I use when I do coin magic or muscle pass is "i got magnets on my palms which help me go against gravity, wanna check ? put your fingers on my palm" and !Crack! >.< always have freaky reaction over that one...

As for beleivers of Chi and meridians, (i'm part asian so it's natural for me), magnets will have an impact on it, tho it would be positive depending on where you put it. (normaly on your wrist)

There's a magnetised bracelets you find in most pharmacies for people with arthritis. Or even another bracelet kind of the Power balance, but instead of a hologram, it's a magnet.

You could always stick a magnet with skin colored latex, or a soft TT for the index or pinky finger... ?
I'm just a blind Con that lost his I...
remember, Magic's everywhere... ("Your are the magic !" - Albert Goshman)

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple. On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux" St-Exupéry
WillStelfox
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of WillStelfox
Looks like I'm the only one here who's had a magnet implanted in my hand, so here's some things to know Smile

- Very painfull to get (done without anesthetic)
- Takes 10 full days to heal, it hurts to move your hand until the healing is done
- Once healed you can pick up coins, pk rings, sense magnets such as the one in Spike
- Scar is still very visible after 5 months
- No problem going through airport security
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2014, WillStelfox wrote:
Looks like I'm the only one here who's had a magnet implanted in my hand, so here's some things to know Smile

- Takes 10 full days to heal, it hurts to move your hand until the healing is done
- Once healed you can pick up coins, pk rings, sense magnets such as the one in Spike

Wow...I'm trying to decide if I am impressed with your devotion (wrong word, but can't come up with a better one) or freaked out by the sheer insanity (that's the right word, imo!) of self mutilation in order to do a few coin tricks. It's not the pain involved, it's the fact that systemic infection is a real possibility... so kids, do NOT do this at home.
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
I have thought of some interesting applications with a pacemaker magnet.Very strong and will hold through fabric.
Frank
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2014, WillStelfox wrote:

You ARE joking aren't you?
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
309 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Just to be clear I'm not saying this is a great idea but I will raise the notion that people get body modifications for ego, self worth and vanity reasons daily. It's actually a multi-BILLION dollar industry. Does anyone NEED a facelift? Breast implants? (Leaving legit reasons out of this question, mastectomy, etc) Earrings?? Tattoos? Now this guy asks about a body mod for what is essentially a practical reason and he's getting the sh!t kicked out of him. Nobody here has a tattoo or a piercing? I know a lot of guys here are a bit old school and that's fine but we're not far from bio-integrations like subdermal implants and interfaces. Contact lenses with heads up displays, tattoos that monitor a pregnant mothers' vitals, computer controlled prosthetics that allow double amputees to RUN. These are all real, right now.

Not endorsing implants but just asking If body mods are acceptable for vanity why not for function?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Magnetic implants -- pros and cons (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL