We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Atlantis found on Google Earth? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Here's an interesting find! For those of you who have Google Earth, check it out and follow my instructions..

1. Search for "Western Sahara"
2. Immediately to the North-West off the coast, you will see a series of about 7 Islands.
3. Directly WEST of these Islands, you will see 3 obvious underwater mountains (perhaps volcanoes?)
4. just very SLIGHTLY to the North-East of these volcanoes, zoom in and explore the smooth area.

You will see some very interesting square shapes in the ocean. They think this to be "Atlantis", a city swept away by the water from ancient history.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Or just watch this to make it easier for you. Or if you don't have google earth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un5z6_c8YkU&feature=related
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Smile Thanks.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Quite interesting
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Actually, FWIW, ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/1......20110312

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:36am EST

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) - A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.

Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
So, these atlantians, they somehow built a big island, almost perfectly square? Or was it like that before? Or are those just the major streets?

that video said the music was from 2001... I don't think it was
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
In case it is not clear, the 'Atlantis' mentioned in my post is different from what is mentioned in this thread's original post.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
King Kull was from Atlantis Smile
(Talking about REH's short stories, could care less about the bad movie.)
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
Wasn't Bobby Ewing from Atlantis?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I can't believe I know that "Dallas" reference. I blame my Mom for watching that show all the time when I was wee.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2011-03-22 15:34, kcg5 wrote:
So, these atlantians, they somehow built a big island, almost perfectly square? Or was it like that before? Or are those just the major streets?

The "city" plan is disturbingly rectilinear, isn't it?

John
Erwin
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Erwin
The most amazing thing is this was all over the internet two years ago but we just heard of it... I think we got memory wiped. Check yourselves for implants.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I'm waiting for the Movie.

Then again, the world is ending next year... Didn't you know?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I thought it was in May. All the tsunamis and earth quakes and the days multiplied by this and that plus sme more BS minus logic = May
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5707 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Nope.

April 1st...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Nostradamus predicted the world will end in the 3000's

So don't worry, your lineage won't be too concerned about you.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
One of the themes running throughout ancient thought is that of whether the “beginnings” were perfect or imperfect. Two quick and easily understandable examples would be Rome, which according to myth was founded by a fratricide (an imperfect beginning), and the Garden of Eden (a perfect beginning).

It is also common in ancient thought to refer to the most ancient ones as being smarter, stronger, closer to the gods, and living significantly longer than “we do today”. (There were giants in those days.)
The idea of all this is that “perfection” in the past implies a possible return to perfection. If men were once capable of living 1,000 years, perhaps they could again. If there was a perfect kingdom 10,000 years ago, a perfect kingdom is possible. If human history begins in the fog of war and suffering, there is no reason to think that we can ever get past such pain and suffering. It might be possible, but there is no precedent to prove it.

(Human culture still tends to make this judgment. A lot of American politics, for example, can be explained by one group seeing the Founding Fathers as giants (the American beginning was perfect), and the other group seeing the Founding Fathers as racist, sexist, bigoted landholders whose sole motivation in revolting against King George was purely economic (the American beginning was imperfect). Of course, unlike the ancients we have a concept of scientific progress, so we think that if the beginnings were imperfect, it is our duty to engineer a newer, more progressive society. )

For the Greeks, this inquiry into beginnings seems to be fundamental to any historical account. The first part of Thucydides’ History of the Peloponnesian War is meant to establish the beginnings as imperfect. Herodotus, on the other hand, wrote his history specifically to immortalize the greatness of the Greeks in their battles against the barbarians. The beginnings of Greek civilization are perfect.

My own interpretation of the role of Atlantis in Plato’s works is that it refers to this question of perfect or imperfect beginnings. Timaeus and Critias together form something like a philosophic “Genesis”, with the Atlantis myth specifically meant to be cross-referenced with the regime built by Socrates and his interlocutors in “The Republic”. In other words, the possibility of the “perfect” city is to be assessed by looking at a pre-historical Athens, which Critias portrays as perfect.

In this sense, the story of the war between Athens and Atlantis was meant to be a “philosophic myth”. (A “philosophic myth” would be, BTW, a myth founding on reason rather than legend, religion, or superstition; i.e., it would be a “perfect” myth.) It’s not “history” in the sense of Thucydides or Herodotus, for in this case the story is pre-historical (i.e., it goes back to the mists of time before human beings started recording events), and involves a city (Atlantis) which is only remembered and no longer exists outside of myth.

If I’m correct, then the story should never have been understood as referring to a real place. This is disappointing, because I absolutely LOVE esoteric stuff like Atlantis and Mu and giants roaming the earth. And I would find it way cool if that grid turned out to belong to some ancient, sunken, civilization. But I just don’t expect that to be the case.

With this in mind—a philosophic myth about the beginnings of Athens and its confrontation with a mythical city—go and read Critias for yourselves. It’s a fun read, and it’s short. You can find an online version here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/critias.txt

Notice how it ends, too. It was left unfinished—i.e., imperfect.

(The translation above says the rest has been lost, but there is no evidence that it ever existed.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Aw Jeff. Are you now going to tell us that our ancestors weren't round, with four hands and four feet and a face on each side of their heads? Spoilsport.

John
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
HA! It'd be easier for some to swallow than my suggesting that the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil might not have been a real tree.

Some myths hold our imaginations more tenatiously than others.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
That nostrodamus dude knew nothing. About everything.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Atlantis found on Google Earth? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL