The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Action movie stars and stupid man arguements: Is it over? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Remember back in the 80's when dudes used to argue about whether Arnold or Stallone would win a fight? Then in the 90's it was Van Damme and Seagal? There's been lots of others, Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris, Jet Li vs. Jackie Chan... All stupid arguements to have about movie actors. Well, maybe Bruce and Chuck. That one kind of makes sense.
But I liked all of these guys. They made entertaining (even if they were silly) movies.
The last one seems to have been Tony Jaa. I can't count how many dudes have said he could whoop Jackie, Jet, everybody.
Well the Tony Jaa craze seems to have fizzled. I haven't heard a lot of hype for Ong Bak 3, which I thought was an excellent film.
There was a rumor that he had retired from films altogether to become a Buddhist Monk. This never worried me because I know that most Thai males spend periods ordained as Monks. Gives merit to them and their families. So when word came that he was no longer a monk I was not surprised. I certainly hope he continues to make movies and that some American companies are smart enough to distribute them.
But, on the whole, I can't really think of any huge action stars left. Jason Statham does alright, but not like back in the day. All of the former greats seem to be flopping like salmon on sand.
So is it over?
Is MMA to blame? Now that we have the venue to ultimately (pun possibly intended) tell us who can kick whose butt has it rendered the hypothetical manversation obsolete?
Do we mourn the loss of Jean Claude? Will future generations remember Steven Seagal merely as the fat cop with the brothel?
Who will do the splits for us now?
Is this what happens when I have too much time on my hands?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yes, you have to much time on your hand! Smile

Quote:
"Is mma to blame?"

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it, but I suspect yes. I'm still a believer in traditional martial arts, but mma has opened a lot of our eyes to how different real martial arts fighting looks from staged. A lot of the fight sequences in the 80's or 90's seemed to dramaticized but somewhat realistic (at least to my juvenile mind they did), but now they tend to look absolutely ridiculous. Still fun for what they are, but absolutely ridiculous from the perspective of a real fight.

I've seen some shows try to incorporate mma into their fight scenes, to varying levels of success. Sometimes it looks pretty good, but other times, well ...pulling guard in parking lot while fighting multiple opponents does NOT make you look tough.

I remember reading one of Loren Christensen's books where he talked about the perception of martial arts in the 60s and 70s. Back then it was so unknown that if you learned karate you were thought to be (and thought of yourself as) essentially invincible. It's interesting to see how perceptions of martial arts change over time; but I suspect that the arguments you discuss have all transfered to mma. Remember the hype over Andersen Silva and Chael Sonnen (great fight)? Or Randy Cotoure and James Toney (terrible fight)?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I loved the Randy Couture vs James Toney specifically because it was so one sided. After all of Toney's big talk in the magazines and he brought nothing to the fight. Me and my girlfriend were laughing our asses off.
Anderson Silva is a mutant. I love that guy. I don't care if he's arrogant, he's earned it.
Looks like the Fedor hype has been shut down a little recently.
Forrest Griffin will always be my favorite though.
I never really thought Van Damme would be beating up any bouncers or Lumpinee champions ever in his life. Was kind of fun to speculate though.
Of course, the action movie to create more silly fighting style arguements than any other, "Only the Strong."

Yup, this is what I have to do all day when I'm on Spring break home alone and finished with my workout.
~Will Rogers
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 16:03, critter wrote:
I loved the Randy Couture vs James Toney specifically because it was so one sided. After all of Toney's big talk in the magazines and he brought nothing to the fight.

That's what happens when you fight the other guy's fight. In a boxing ring, Couture would've finished on his back.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
And on a wrestling mat it'd still be the Natural Smile
Part of it was that the only grappling move he learned was the sprawl. He thought he was just going to be able to punch Randy and end it. Stupid.
Bas Rutten or Chuck Liddell might have done ok in boxing. They both punch harder than high level boxers according to the force tests on Fight Science and Deadliest Warrior. But would they be able to outmaneuver a high level boxer? The world may never know.

And I love when some smug dweeb makes a YouTube comment "I don't need martial arts, I have a gun." Good for you, I wish you luck when the other guy has a gun and martial arts Smile
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Weird! I mentioned "Only the Strong" earlier and it's on the Fox Movie Channel right now.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
And then Dan Inosanto comes along and kills them all with a barong. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I thought I saw Dan Inosanto on TV today, but it was Aki Aleong.
I think Jesse Glover could beat Dan Inosanto Smile
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
JESSE GLOVER? Smile

I'LL TAKE THAT BET!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I didn't say Danny Glover Smile
http://www.jesseglover.com/

He was my gung-fu teacher's teacher. I haven't had the good fortune to meet him, but I sure would like to. My teacher was amazing so I can only imagine what Jesse could do.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I know who he is critter... He was one of Bruce Lee's students just Like Guru Dan.

Anyway, Guru Inosanto would still hand him his rear...
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man... Smile
~Will Rogers
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I liked only the strong.

Actually, it was funny because right after typing the last post I went to work and heard someone talking about how Tony Jaa was the best!

James Toney's trash talking then poor performance was one thing. The really funny thing was that he wrote it off afterwards and said he thought he should have a future in mma starting at the top, not having to go back to smaller shows. He didn't seem to have any concept of the fact that he just is not good at mma. Not that he couldn't be, he could probably be great but he'd need to be humble enough to learn something and start over from the beginning. Not that there is any real reason for him to, considering what he can make as a boxer.

Chael Sonnen on the other hand talked a lot of trash and backed it up. I had already heard that he had lost when I saw the fight, but I kept thinking maybe I was wrong all the way up to the end. I don't like his politics or his world view, but I like his 'character' and I hope he and Anderson Silva get to fight again with no odd hormone replacement issues to fog it all up. BTW, if that does happen I hope someone will let me know, I don't follow MMA much lately but I'd like to see that.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Yeah, Sonnen did better than anybody else has in the UFC against Anderson, but Silva's still undefeated in the Octagon (TM, all money for mentioning the word "Octagon" goes straight to Dana White and his bosses.) Smile

I'm still sad that Shogun lost to Bones. Shogun had one of the best Thai roundhouses in MMA.
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
And Mr. Miyagi would beat everyone ok!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I think Yoda could beat Mr. Miyagi. When lightsaber used correctly, "No can defend."
~Will Rogers
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Action movies back in the 80's and 70's had style and flavour. Today
all they focus on are the 3D special CG effects. It's about 3 things,
Lots of explosions,car chases and lots of guns!. That's all you needed
no need for over the top special effects.

My top five action movies:
Rambo First Blood
Red Dawn
Over The Top
The Warriors
RoboCop
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I think Billy Jack could have whipped Chuck Norris. Billy Jack never gets any respect.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2011-03-22 21:57, critter wrote:
I think Yoda could beat Mr. Miyagi. When lightsaber used correctly, "No can defend."

Yoda IS Mr. Miyagi in an alternate Universe. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Action movie stars and stupid man arguements: Is it over? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL