The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Customizing your small props??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hi,

I was wondering what your ideas are to customize all your small props. I'm talking about stratosphere, square circle, etc but ALL in the same color scheme and design. I think it would be very cool for kid shows. It might also cause some confusion.

Any thoughts about the topic or how to customize them?
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Evan,

You can choose a color scheme but make each prop have an opposing dominant color within the scheme.

Example: Color scheme is Hot Green/Yellow/ Black

Stratosphere: Tube is Yellow with Hot Green Graphics which have Black outlines.

Square Circle: Hot Green Body with Yellow graphics which have Black outlines.

Another prop would be Black body with Yellow graphics and Hot Green accents.

Make sure that the graphics are not cluttered but interesting. Kids love shapes and wild colors. You can use squiggles and curves as well as hardline shapes.

Check into Signpainters portfolios and you can find some KILLER Graphic ideas. Just do a websearch under "signpainters" This is a heck of a tip because there are some great ideas that never hit the mainstream within the "old school" signpainters.

Use 3m Sign Vinyl for your graphics. Easily cut with an X-Acto blade and you just print your art out in outline form, get a piece of plexiglass, set it on your lap, place the printed graphic on the plex, vinyl on top of that, put a lamp with a 100 watt bulb under the plex and you have an INSTANT LIGHTBOARD for tracing/cutting your graphics on the vinyl.

For darker colored vinyl, do this at night. Make sure to turn off any lights as it helps the tracing process.

I will post more ideas as I think of them.
Hope this helps!

Chance Wolf
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Thanks a lot Chance!

That helps me out a TON. Great ideas; thanks!

Evan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
You bet Evan! One of the best ways to make the magic world grow is by sharing.

Take care,
Chance

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Excellent tips as usual, Chance.

I'm looking forward to your new Restorations section on your website about refurbishing props.

By the way, the new video demo of the Jumbo Shattered looks great! I want one!

Check it out folks:

Jumbo Shattered
http://www.wolfmagic.com/IM000783.AVI

Chance, I was thinking about a climax for Jumbo Shattered that would mirror ( Smile ) the climax from the regular size Shattered:

What if you put the restored mirror (from the first phase) into a paper bag, then pound the bag with a hammer and dump out the broken pieces on a table or tray. Then sweep the pieces back into the bag , shake it up, a magical gesture... and voila! The mirror is restored. The ordinary looking paper bag is, of course, a double compartment "change bag". (I think the paper change bag is shown in the Mark Wilson Course and other places.)

One would have to be careful about how they hit the mirror inside the bag with the mallet, but I imagine that your Jumbo Shattered is made of plexi-glass, right? So, it shouldn't be too delicate. I would just "mime" the pounding, not too hard , and I think it would still sell the idea that the mirror had been cracked into several pieces.

That's just off the top of my head... maybe there are better methods for switching the mirror for pieces of mirror and then back again for the restoration?

I'm also thinking that wicked looking shard of mirror could be used for some sort of chopper or penetration effect as a follow up to the Shattered routine. I think the Jumbo Shattered mirror shard is long enough to be used in the Joe Berg-style arm chopper if the mirror shard could be attached to some sort of holder to extend the length just a bit ("Sawing thru Arm" in the Berg Book; if you know the effect then you'll see what I mean about using the mirror shard in place of the saw), but I'll bet there's something even better... think, think, think...

I'm going to do the Jumbo Shattered routine with heavy gloves to make it look really dangerous and sharp ("Don't try this at home, kids").

Ooops. Should have realized there was already a thread about Jumbo Shattered elsewhere on the Café.

Sorry, but I just got so enthused seeing the video demo on your website that I had to chime in about Jumbo Shattered here.

Back to the thread about customizing small props ...
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Wow,

Chance, your posts about building (building tips 1 & 2) are GREAT!!! Thanks for sharing these!

Evan
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Dai,

Thanks for the kind words (I gave kudos to Dai in another thread) Smile

Evan,
Thanks for the kind words regarding my Tips Section. You have inspired me to post a new Tips section regarding a more detailed description of Design and Vinyl application tricks. This will cover all the basics of creating your own decal graphics, application methods and supply sources as well as a few more painting tips... "How to paint like a PRO using a FOO-FOO Can!"

I will post it soon!

Thanks
Chance

Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Sounds great Chance!

I'll be looking forward to that new tip post!

Regards,

Evan
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Chance, I love your suggestion about creating a color scheme.

I often make a rollout banner wand with a custom message for the group I'm performing for, and I have a (somewhat) simpler method than the lightboard. I type up the message on my computer, flip it to mirror image, and print the message on a full page label. I then put the letters on the back of Contact Paper and cut them out. I would guess that this would work for graphics as well. Oh, and I set the letters to print in outline so I don't waste a lot of ink.

Where can I find the 3M sign vinyl? I'm currently using Contact Paper. (Why do they call it paper although it's plastic?) The color selection is not very good, but if I really want a certain color, I spray paint the Contact Paper before cutting the letters.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Tate,

Good suggestion and not bad for a non-sign guy Smile But try the light board idea sometime. You will see it is pretty slick 'n quick. I hope I remembered to mention you should TAPE the Vinyl to the item being traced.

Here is a link for Sign Vinyl in quantity. I have given a direct link to the selection/order page showing all the colors. Click the HOME button and surf the site.

http://www.beacongraphics.com/a4-series-opaque.html

If the minimum order is too much vinyl for your needs, just go to your local Sign Shop (FastSigns, SignsNow etc. ) and purchase the amount you need. Trust me, this will BLOW AWAY your Contact Paper. You will also need TRANSFER TAPE. A low tack Paper used to transfer the graphics.

I will go into FULL DETAIL on this entire subject very soon. Hang in there and it will be worth a million bucks!

Thanks
Chance

bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
This is a good question. how about a die box they always come in black?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Customizing your small props??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL