The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Saga of Sarah's Sausage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Wondering if anyone has a review of the effect "Saga of Sarah's Sausage" by Poz and sold by Practicl magic?

Thanks,

John
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1617 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Years ago I used to do the actual routine from Poz book.
Bear in mind, to do that routine, you'd have to have a bit of acting ability.
It's a lot of fun to get the children up to do some play acting.
Good Russian dolls are hard to come by now a days. I was fortunate to have 2 sets.
The cheap ones are made from plastic, the wooden ones cost a fortune.
Tricky Ricky
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I too have been presenting this routine ever since it first appeared which was before the Poz book. It appeared first in Abracadabra as an entry in a competition and of course it won. It's very flexible and you can substitute items to suit yourself and availability.

The dolls, for example. I use a nest of eggs because I have Sarah going off shopping for her mother. Her shopping bag contains a number of silly items including a single sausage, which is a locking string and bursts open! The egg is the last out of the bag and there is lots of fun opening the eggs between you, till you come to the penultimate, which you break into her hand for her to open the last egg and find the missing ring inside.

I have always used one girl as Sarah and one boy to double as the Policemen and then the Burglar and finally back as the Policeman again. Lots of fun here, swapping the Policeman's helmet for the robber's mask and back again. And the sight of you dressing up as the Fairy Godmother should brig the house down.

There is scope for all sorts including road safety as Sarah goes shopping and the Policeman joins in an the whole audience too.

Anyone can make this up from whatever they have to hand or can acquire. But as Ricky points out, you need to be part actor, part games show host as you move the children through the story, feeding them their lines and involve the audience, giving them a role and words in this playlet. Out there somewhere on a shelf is a wonderful book all about creating and running magical playlets from stock dealer items. 'The Land of Make Believe' was written by Fred Barton and published by Goodliffe in the late 60s and as far as I know, the only book on the subject.

And do get right the title of this effect of Poz. It is not 'Sarah's' in the possessive. Sausage is her surname. Because sausage is a funny word. Remember Neil Simon and The Sunshine Boys? Some words are funny and sausage is one of them.

THE SAGA OF SARAH SAUSAGE.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
It's a good effect, and as Tony has pointed out, can be modified for your own unique performance. It's a storytelling routine, and has loads of opportunities for gags and business. Also, it may encourage you to come up with your own ideas once you understand the premise.
I personally don't use it any more, as I feel it's a bit slow for my style. And I have another effect which uses a large set of 10 Russian Dolls, which are in full view from the start of the routine (akin to the "nest of boxes" concept).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Saga of Sarah's Sausage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL