We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
mrlavaboy
View Profile
New user
Indpls
94 Posts

Profile of mrlavaboy
I am looking for a good routine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

andy
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Do a search.

There must be 1 million posts about the Professors Nightmare on this forum
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2003-08-05 23:54, mrlavaboy wrote:
I am looking for a good routine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

andy

I just got done watching Jon Allen's "Spectators Don't Exist" tape. On it he has a great routine--and a very good and detailed explanation. Not your ordinary Professor's Nightmare routine.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1609 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
I agree, I went through Jon Allen's rope routine last week and then used it at a strolling gig at a wedding.
The hand switch of the ends was very deceptive, also the ropes return back to its original state in the spectator's hand is quite astonishing.
Try it guys you'll like it.
Richard Lyn
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
The DVD "In The Trenches" by Paul Green has an excellent Cut & Restored rope routine that leads into the Professor's Nightmare, therefore allowing you to "make" the set right in front of your audience. The psychology to your audience is that the rope really is not gaffed.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knots can't be beat. If he wasn't doing it here in Hollywired I would use it. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Thanks, Pete.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1129 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
Thanks, Iven.

Hi Whit! Hehe.

Regards,
Paul
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Paul Green does have a great Prof's Nitemare routine. Check it out.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Someday I should put my Nemo Rope routine in print... (tease)... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
DarryltheWizard
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of DarryltheWizard
It's great to get ideas by watching other magician's rope routines; however, once you've digested the tapes and DVDs, it's time to use your own creativity to mould it into your OWN routine. It might be merely the chronological order of the basic moves, it could be the novel patter, a surprise ending, etc.

In my routine I dress in a chef's hat, and mix the spaghetti in a bowl, end up getting fired, and the uneven ropes end up as a bag of chips which is given to your helper.

Darryl the Wizard Smile
DarryltheWizard
"Life without mystery is like a candle
with a snuffed out flame." Albert Einstein
steveroth
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of steveroth
The two best I've seen are James Lewis, Hypnotized Rope, and the Professor's Incubus from the Heirophant (not sure which volume). Both are very clean. Guy Hollingworth's handling that was published in Genii is also worth a go.

Regards,
Steve Roth
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The idea of creating the set of ropes during the performance goes back at least as far as Slydini. He had his method in one of the early books, and I've used it for years.

Incidently, the standard proportions for the Nightmare are, one foot, two feet, and three feet. But, I like to use a more extreme difference. Something like six inches, two feet, and three feet, six inches. It emphasizes the difference nicely, and lends itself to some of the routines where the short rope is concealed by pinching it on the end of another rope. (Sandsational, Daryl's, lots of Tabary stuff, etc.)

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
I'm not sure about Prof's Nightmare. Isn't it a bit used to death and well known?

I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just tend to think it's too charming for words these days.

I remember when I first saw it, and saw through it too in that same moment.

What do others think?

Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
I love the routine called Three Ropes and a Baby from Richard Sanders. This is a great routine also including the Prof's Nightmare.

Markus
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Count Zapik:

Yes, Professor's Nightmare is done to death, but it's great magic, just like the rings, cups and balls, and egg bag.

Look at the number of working pros who do it: Whit Haydn, Daryl, Paul Green, Jon Allen, Dan Fleshman, etc.

Ron
Count Zapik
View Profile
Regular user
UK
183 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
Hi Ron,

Yes I agree it works as a vehicle for entertainment and lots of folk like it. I'm not knocking it too seriously.

But I do know that when those "old warhorses" that you yourself mentioned come out, I kinda settle down to watch what I expect.

And maybe lots of spectators do too. Most of us recognize these plots too well. Maybe? However, it's just an opinion and I can see I may be wrong.

We all learn to discover what works for us and that's great.

Best wishes Count Zapik Smile
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Count

If you only want to perform for other magicians, then I would not use PN as everyone in that group knows it.

But if you, like me, want to entertain people then PN accompanied with the proper patter still works well and will always work well.

I've had people come back with others and ask me to do PN again for the new ones. That's what it is all about.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
mplegare
View Profile
Veteran user
Forest Grove, Oregon
310 Posts

Profile of mplegare
Another vote for the Mongolian Pop Knot. I tried it out at a Rennaissance Faire and it went over *very* well. And, as Whit recommends in his manuscript, the bigger and more ungainly the knot you tie, the better the effect when it goes flying off into the audience.

It also allows you to say things like, "And when done properly, it's barely noticeable...see?" while holding up a wad of rope by the loose ends.
Matthew Legare aka Tobias the Adequate! - http://www.adequateblog.today.com - you know you want to.
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
Where can Professor's Nightmare be learnt?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor's Nightmare? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL