The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Flying Box - (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MagicGib
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MagicGib
Maybe its also the case that we all just see this trick as an appearance and not an illusions on many levels. Sometimes I gues it looks diffrent when you see things in magicians eyes. for example after this show I spoke to loads of the people in the party after and they all liked it but non said made it shorter and these are peolpe from the show-biz world who would understand that concept.

I mean live these trick have a diffrent life because each move is so diffrent when you see it on full stage and so close to the audience we are only about 3 meters away from the first row. This trick also has an intro to it which is not on the vid to set the ground. about using music from movies I don't agree it makes people not think of your trick infact people guess it instantly and are made to feel young again and love it even more so I don't think that what you mention happens as such unless you have all your show with movie tunes. I think the main point being made is that its to long. I guess I can trim it abit but not much more if not to make a 30 min show I would need like 50 illusions or I could include some spoke small magic that does not go down very well here so its a catch 22.

Btw I am not having a go at people for givin me you opinion but I like to take part on the convo too : )
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Let your audience be the judge
MagicGib
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MagicGib
That's always a good way to see if the illusion works. but sometimes they just tell you everything is great as maybe not to offend.

I wish you all a happy weekend - cause its Friday Friday yeahhhh - Rebecca Black enough said

: )
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish has a variation of this in his PVC Pipe Illusions Book 4 on my site. However, the main feature is NOT the floating box part, but makes use of the Okito and Fu-Manchu (Bamberg family) collaboration illusion known as "Hi-Strung." The box is rolled out on a transport platform, shown on all sides. Then the box is opened up and shown to be unmistakably empty. The box is closed up again and ropes are threaded through holes in the sides. Helium balloons are then loaded into the box, filling it up, and this is seen to be the reason for the box beginning to float around. The performer, by the way, does not need to stand anywhere near the box when this happens. Instead, he and his assistant are holding onto the ropes that pass through the box, apparently trying to keep it from floating away. The magician opens the top of the box and the balloons come out, held onto by a Wiz Kid clown who seems to be pulled up into the air behind the balloons. The rope that passes through the box is through the clown's sleeves and the magician quickly takes the rope and pulls it into the box on each side and then hands it to the spectators once again. Now it appears as if they have a floating clown attached to the rope. He bobs up and down lightly as if tethered by the rope, and the magician tells him to let go of the balloons before he floats away. The clown steps over the top of the box, and once the magician has him securely, the clown releases the balloons and the magician and clown tumble down on the ground, as if overcome by gravity once more. The magician pulls the rope through the clown’s sleeves, as in the Okito/FuManchu illusion, but after the balloon encounter, this is just one more mystery to add to the appearance and apparent levitation of the clown. The floating of the box is just a part of all this.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
So, is there a owner or authorized maker for variations of such a trick? It seems it is alright to build and perform such a trick.

~C~
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22437 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I like the effect and do not think it is to long, what make one think it is to long is that the man keeps doing the same gestures over and over. He looks like he has no purpose for being there.

I think the man should not be behind the box, except to walk around the box. A hoop being passed over the box would give the man a purpose and something to do.

Nice ending of the girl production. You have a winner if you can give a reason for the man to be standing around doing nothing but waving his arms.
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
Check this one : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVI1bzUYDI4

"Parenthese cubique" from France.

They won 1 place in Fism Europe (Blackpool) that year
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Now I know what to do with my old walk-away and super-x.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 08:37, magicians wrote:

Congratulations. You've figured out how it's done and made sure we all know how clever you are.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 11:49, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:

Congratulations. You've figured out how it's done and made sure we all know how clever you are.

TW

Never mentioned the gimmick, only referred to the name of the effects I own. If "they" know those effect..its cool, if they don't, nothing was revealed. Never said what I would do with them, could be I could throw them out. I only said I know what to do with them.

The effect is very clever, and Ali Bongo was a master...so was Daniels.
I like the action on the FISM winners. Magicgib's routine was great movement and deceptive.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1426 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
I loved it. Great work!
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I really like it. Very different and entertaining.

Jim
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
So do we have a maker or a plan?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22437 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-04-27 19:06, IDOTRIX wrote:
So do we have a maker or a plan?

The maker is the OP, contact him if your are interested. He says he created it. No word if this is a subtle way advertising or not.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2380 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I think by even the minimal video trail and dates on here we can see that the concept and method was Ali Bongo, (even though the method was used for "prooving" the box empty), Andrew Mayne created the mid air production of the person ("Special Delivery"), Magic Unlimited seemed to have been the first to take this method and create the actual "Flying Box" effect which was then elaborated by the French team and evidently the poster came up with the exact same routine (sometime in 2011)as the originator (Magic Unlimited in 2009) out of his magic brain or something to that effect. It might be good to determine the real owner of the effect and method before purchasing one!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
MagicGib
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MagicGib
What ?
Marcus.magic
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Marcus.magic
Andrew Mayne did't created this effect,

it's an old act really famous in Europe from a long time before than the Mayne book,

one of the best performace ( maybe the firstcomplete routine aroud the box) can be seen from IMAGIA.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 13:15, magicians wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-04-02 11:49, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Quote:

TW

Never mentioned the gimmick, only referred to the name of the effects I own. If "they" know those effect..its cool, if they don't, nothing was revealed. Never said what I would do with them, could be I could throw them out. I only said I know what to do with them.

The effect is very clever, and Ali Bongo was a master...so was Daniels.
I like the action on the FISM winners. Magicgib's routine was great movement and deceptive.

If you are going to throw them away...throw them THIS way! LOL.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 8:22am
I also very much like the effect. I am building an illusion show "on the cheap"...so will have to check out Andrew Mayne's version of it. LOVE his stuff!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I really liked the presentation...I didn't mind the length as it was complete magic from start to finish. Had you thrown in 3 minutes of dancing beforehand, well then id be chirping. Honestly was one of the better, if not best, performances of this illusion I have seen.

On another note, whoever put together the sound effects mixed with the music gets a pat on the back!!! Great sounds, especially the deep base upon movement. A+++

...oh, and thanks again for not making sit through 3 minutes of dance!!!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2380 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 07:03, MagicGib wrote:
What ?

lol... it's confusing I know. I was just trying to find the source of the original idea. You had said that you came up with it out of your magic brain, but a VERY similar routine had been done with the same method and the video was dated around 2009. Two people can always create similar ideas but I think that in looking at both videos of you and Magic Unlimited, there are too many similarities for it to be accidental. Maybe you purchased the rights from them or whoever invented it before them, or maybe they built it for you, I'm not sure. I was just trying to find the source as someone on here was interested in making or buying one so its only fair to find the real originator of the effect.
Quote:
On 2011-04-28 08:22, worldofwondermagic wrote:
I also very much like the effect. I am building an illusion show "on the cheap"...so will have to check out Andrew Mayne's version of it. LOVE his stuff!

I can't find my copy of Solo X today but I did find a version in his "Illusion book" called Special Delivery. It uses a similar method but it is only to produce a girl and the method is the same as Ali Bongo's idea of using it to prove the box is empty by inference. It is not the "Flying Box" effect that I first saw Magic Unlimited do. Keep in mind I do NOT know if they invented the flying box effect. It's just the earliest version of this particular effect I can date with video documentation. I'm sure the search will continue!
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Flying Box - (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL