The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Would you put this on your web site? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Profile of The Great Zucchini
Chalie, thanks man. My favorite emails that I receive, are from entertainers that let me know that I showed them how to think outside of the box. I get emails from Austailia, England, Sweden, and other places from people that tell me their philosophy on entertaining little kids has changed. I never did things my way to be a pioneer in the field, but I'm thrilled that it's turned out that way. I also like that not everyone gets me. Some people do, some people never will. I like it that way.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Eric, do you even "get" yourself?

What I mean is, did you think all this through, or did you just do what you felt like doing and it came together? I ask because I get the feeling you are just being yourself and it works!

BTW, I will be in Baltimore in a few months and perhaps a trip to your area will be in order (I'm buying).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes, Eric is being himself. He is such a nice guy. You can tell a little online. In person he is very understanding. His personality and character plays a strong role in where he is today.

For those who wish to meet Eric, come to Abracadabra this year. He will be doing a lecture at the convention.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Thanks Mike. Starrpower, I know a great cigar bar here in Dc, that we could enjoy. I'd love to meet you. Yes, I get 'me' very much. I know that I'm polarizing, and I like it. I know that I break the traditional, stereotypical, old school way of thinking when it comes to what children's entertainers or supposed to look like and act like- yes, I'm being myself, but there is psychology in my show that dissects exactly what I'm doing. It looks like a free for all, but there is a pace to my show that is important to me, and for the benefit of the show.

I have rules in place on what I allow, don't allow, and I create a tunnel vision for the kids before I even start. The background to where you choose to perform is imperative and gets you ahead before you even start- I take this seriously. The mingling before the show and after the show, is all about showing who I am, the regular dress, shows a normal person to my audience, which I take pride in also. When I say people aren't going to get me- well, I did a lecture at kidvention, I heard some clowns that listened couldn't get past the dress code I have-that's cool. I'm looking at every person in my audience and constantly judging the reactions of every person, when my audience needs to move, get up, etc.

I also, try to create little elvis moments during the show. Someone would say thy liked Elvis's cadillac, and he'd throw them the keys. I might for instance, keep little stuffed animals that cost 2 bucks, in my case- I see a little kids under 2, that might be on mom's lap, I stop show, go over and give him one, and tell him, 'he'd be happier with him, than me', and see the kid light up, then go back to show. I'm myself the whole show, yes, but I'm always trying to create feel good moments, like pausing in the show, and giving a random compliment to something I observed either with parent or kid.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, The Great Zucchini wrote:
I create a tunnel vision for the kids before I even start.

Eric, can you elaborate on this a little please?

Also, I would be thrilled if you would keep me in the loop if you and Starpower get together. DC is a 3 hour drive for me but if I'm available I'd love to meet and chat with you both.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

Ken, you're in. Starrpower, give me heads up, when you're coming and I will let Ken know. Ok, here's the thing. When I entertain at home, or school, or wherever, I pick the room, with the boring background, and a plain wall behind me. I stand right in front of that wall, no large open space behind me, for people to walk, no toys in anyone's perifiel vision. I don't perform where streamers or balloons, are. I sit the kids right in front of me on the floor, with little distractions around me, so that's what I call a tunnel vision. It's just the you and the kids, with parents in the back. I don't let any of the kids sit on the couch, because then it becomes contagious and more end up there.

They will bounce around there, etc. The floor and criss cross, sitting position provides a strange unity, between you and your audience, where everyone is instantly on the same page-it's how they watch shows at school, and I recreate it at parties, I close window blind because sunlight blaring in is one of the biggest detractor to a kid's focus. When I walk into a home, I know, in 30 seconds the best room, and I eliminate possible distractions, so that I maximize their focus and tunnel their vision directly on me, etc.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On May 28, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
Yes, Eric is being himself. He is such a nice guy. You can tell a little online. In person he is very understanding. His personality and character plays a strong role in where he is today.

For those who wish to meet Eric, come to Abracadabra this year. He will be doing a lecture at the convention.

Correction. I meant the Kidabra Convention. The only reason I am going is because Eric is doing a lecture there on Thursday, August 14, 2014. http://www.kidabra.org/#!schedule/cee5
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Dynamike - thanks for sharing the link. It was great to see The Great Zucchini trailer. He was in rap - I mean "rare" form.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I know a lot of people who performed at the White House, and I would too. For the longest while, that is what I wanted. To me it is serving the country and it would have been an honor to do this.

However,...

When the polls dislike the President to such a point as they do today, it effects people decisions as to who they would hire. Of course I have no proof of this, just believe politics does play a part on who one hires.
Dennis Michael
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I wouldn't work for 'Bama if he paid 10X my fee because I think he is a despicable human being. But I see a big difference between the White House, which is a symbol of the nation, and the squatter who happens to be inhabiting it at any given time. I think it is a very small percentage of people who would not hire someone based on a WH appearance. I think the benefits outweigh any potential drawbacks. It's a good gig, even for free, and I applaud those who have done it.
The Great Zucchini
View Profile
Inner circle
1347 Posts

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Obama has nothing to do with the recruiting for this event and neither does anyone working for him. The've outsourced it to a company in Texas, that gets everyone they need, and never once was it asked what side of the political world we support.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree that you shouldn't endorse politicians, it certainly could hurt. But I don't see this event as such.
Most people can separate the White House from all those in it. Folks still love touring the WH because of what
it is and what it stands for.

Tom
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Eric, I guess it's "What they don't know 'can' hurt them."
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Charlie and Checkers did great at the White House this year.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Would you put this on your web site? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL