The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » This may help you GTFM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Last fall we found it to be to our advantage to be able to accept credit cards when pitching....people always spend more if they can charge it... Anyway if you have an iPhone or an Android phone go to http://www.squareup.com and sign up for a free account - they will send you a free card reader that hooks into your phone. They charge 2.75% per transaction - but that's it no monthly fee, no start up charge etc, etc... It really is nice to be able to accept plastic - often people will buy a deck and worm combo or 5 worms when they can charge it - I just tacked on a buck to cover transaction fees. Square up puts the money in my account each night... I don't work for these guys but I love products that help me GTFM!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
That sounds great.I would do it if I were still out there.Buskers could even use it.Thanks for the heads up.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I use it at craft fairs and holiday fairs. Its not practical at street fairs as it takes to long.
-Matt
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I have a fellow vendor that will swipe a card for me if needed, but I only bother on slow days because it does take time ... I usually just tell them where the ATM machine is, most do come back.

I can see this being useful ... but I would still prefer to be as close to an ATM machine as possible, because you don't have to give the ATM machine a percentage, the mark does. That's useful info when deciding where to park your pitch, I wish I had the spot right next to it ... or at least have it visible from my space.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
That's the move Joe-Joe...buy your own ATM and set it next to everywhere you set up.This way you also make the points of the marks using YOUR ATM machine.All the money you make pitching I'm sure you have plenty of cash to keep the machine full...(smile)
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
When I did my 1st Farm Show in Peoria, IL, I got in late. The only place they could POSSIBLY squeeze me in was directly in front of the ATM. Even tho I accept CCs and DCs, having the ATM right there was sooo neat. No one could say, "Hey, I'll be back, gotta go to the ATM!"

Well, they could SAY it...but I just pointed out the ATM....Smile

Jon
WillRoya
View Profile
Loyal user
Henderson, NV
223 Posts

Profile of WillRoya
I was on the fence about getting a credit machine for a long time, but now I'm glad I did. I just tell the customers if they pay cash I include sales tax in with the price. On good days I do over $500 in credit card sales so it is worth it. Before I had the machine I had a manual swipe and would enter in the numbers into paypal later, but it took longer and some would not go thru, but that is a good alternative if you are not doing the volume and don't want to invest in a machine.
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I was talking with the girl who works with me about that processor, when a guy from across the aisle heard us talking and came over with just that machine. I say 'machine'. It's really only about the size of a postage stamp and he says, not only easy to use but much cheaper than his previous processor.

I use a 'knuckle buster' now because one of the super machines is very expensive. I pay a percentage to my processor, PLUS $25 per mo for the privelege, plus $25 to use my computer to send the info. I do very few cards, maybe $100-$200 per weekend. But all in all I am paying now close to $100 per month for that processor. According to SquareUp.com, there are NO hidden charges, just the 2.75% per sale.

I can see how, doing the small amount of money I do, this processor would not only be cheaper but my friend from across the aisle says the money is in his account the same day. Mine takes 2 days and I have to hand-key in the info. Once in a very great while, I get a 'decline' but it usually works out in a week or so.

I mentioned the fact that there is no printer, so no receipt. But he said if they truly want a receipt, you can take their e-mail address and send it to them. All in all, seems like a very good idea.

I'll be looking into it, thanx Sam.

Jon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
My first thoughts on this square thing was "fraud" and "credit card theft" ... I questioned if consumers would be willing to use it ... but after listening to square's response to VeriFone's accusations, I realize my concerns are un-justified:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technolo......der.html

A vendor at the market told me they were going to get one of those new "tablets" instead of a phone, as it would appear more "legit". I would also think if having a printer and printing a receipt would be a nice touch too.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Step right up! » » This may help you GTFM (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL