The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Will My Bunny Sit Still? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I am producing my bunny from a home made Blammo Box. It's about 12 inches square. After production, he'll be sitting there without anything to keep him from going over the edge if he should so choose. The box sits on a tray stand that is about 2 feet off the floor.
Here's my question: I plan on doing a Snowstorm routine after his production. Do you think a rabbit will sit on the Blammo Box while I do the Snowstorm? Or should I put him into something else, or cover him with a wire frame, perhaps, after he is produced?

I think I'll pick him up immediately after being produced, and then put him down again for the Snowstorm routine. Thanks!

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
James, sometimes each rabbit is different. They all have their personalities. Mine sits nice and still on the table for quite sometime after the show. Guests will walk by and get the chance do a gentle touch or pet to get the feel of her fur.
If you have a rabbit that is curious, he or she might want to hop off the edges. If the rabbit is very casual, he or she may sit still. Your best bet is to test them under controlled circumstances. While at home, place her on the table and be standing by to watch her behavior. If they stay in place, then perhaps reward them with a small treat, like a small bit of apple. This way, you can help to condition her behavior.
You will also have to remember... actors do not like to work with kids or animals...LOL. They will steal your attention in a heartbeat. If you have her in view during another routine and she tends to get near the edge of the table (even if you know she won't hop off), the audience's attention will be diverted towards the rabbit because of their natural concern for the animal. Also, all eyes will more than likely be on the critter during your next routine, because they will more than likely do something cute while you are doing your bit. Sometimes while I am doing an educational talk about our rabbit and her heritage, she will yawn very big. Gets a big laugh. So If you don't want interruptions due to the animal, then we recommend to place the rabbit away until the end of the program. Hope this helps.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
James,
Usually we tell the kids, after the production, that we need to put our friend away for now, but he will be back after the show.
Bill
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
If you're unsure, better to be safe than have him take a nose-dive. If you don't mind carrying a basket around, you can condition him to stay in the basket, starting at home with the basket on the floor. If he stays in the basket on the floor, you should be able to move it up to the table.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Guys. After hearing your advice, I think I'll put him in a top hat and put him inside my table then bring him out after the snowstorm.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
James, you already have some good advice from everyone. I agree that each bunny is different, and there's no way to know for sure what your bunny might do. I have owned about 8 rabbits during my magic career......most of them have been Netherland Dwarfs. I would have felt safe leaving most all of my Netherlands sitting on an open table top unattended, except for one. He was a jumper! He would leap for long distances from one place to the other. People that saw him do it said he looked like a ski jumper because of the way he lifted and led with his big back feet. I also have a Lionhead that I would never trust! If she gets startled its untelling what she will do!

I find that my bunnies become more docile as they age too, so the age of your bunny might be a factor.

Good luck!

Regan
Mister Mystery
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks. My bunny is a Mini Rex. He seems docile but he does like to run some when I let him out. He seems to just sit on the base and maybe sniff around the edges, but you never know how he'll act at showtime with a lot of people watching him.

jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Will My Bunny Sit Still? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL