The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dragon Okito Coin Box Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
I have used an Okito Coin Box for years and years, carried it around with me constantly and was the one thing that never changed in my coin routines and close-up show. It's been so long ago that I've even forgotten what year I bought it. I think I bought it from Joe Berg back in the '60s, but I'm not sure. Nevertheless, I still have it, use it and polish it just about every month or so....kept the brass polished by using the old "5 day deodorant pad" trick from the Marine Corps. The moves are second nature, just the right amount of pressure here and there, etc. Then, last week on the Hocus Pocus site I saw the "Dragon Okito Coin Box" from Sterling Magic. Why I even hesitated I do not know, but I did. The photo intrigued me. I had never even thought of buying another.....but I did and it came yesterday, and I have been playing with it up until this afternoon. I just may have a replacement.

The box is a beautiful piece of work. The box is silver, the lid is beautifully engraved silver on black with a Chinese (or Japanese) symbol and an intricate Dragon circling the perimeter. It comes in a nice blue drawstring bag.

THE INSTRUCTIONS: The instructions, by Brad Burt, cover 3 basic moves usually covered with any Okito Box you would buy, but Brad includes his entire routine with the box, 2 half-dollars, a 6 ounce glass and a deck of cards. The penetration of the coin from the box, through a deck of cards and into the glass is beautiful, especially the move showing the box empty after the penetration. The instructions are concise and very readable. (Glass, coins and cards are not included)

THE LID & BOX: The engraving (and not just a decal) on the lid is really classy and it serves as a good reason for a story line. It is also a nice bit of "pictorial misdirection" as it draws the eyes always to the top. The lid is flat as opposed to the slight curve of my old box. My old box has a small hole in the bottom and a small hole in the lid. This one does not. The box itself has room for half-dollars or smaller. I immediately pulled out some of my chinese coins and all but the "Chinese Misers Dream" fit just fine with just enough room for a good rattle.

THE WORKING: The balance is better than my old one. The first thing I tried was the "re***se turnover" and it fooled my eye completely. Perfect balance. All the moves are so easy. It is just heavy enough and feels good in the hand. My one-h**ded turnover works even better than with the old one.

My only complaint has nothing to do with the box. The bag looks nice, the drawstrings work nice but the box is just slightly too large when one opens the bag to get the box out. I have some spare bags, however, that will make it easier to slide the box out for its presentation.

I am more than pleased with this box and the price makes it an excellent buy. If you have never worked with an Okito Box, shame on you. But, if you have you will be very pleased, I'm sure. It lends itself to so much more than the old Okito Boxes. I don't know just how long this has been around, but I kick myself for being so complacent with my old piece of brass that I never looked into any other kind.

John
Success to all.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The word is the Chinese symbol for heaven "tian" It can also mean sky.
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Would you be able to provide a link. I like the oriental theme and could create a story of a chinkman around it. Thanks in advance.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21786 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-03-25 21:48, rklew64 wrote:
Would you be able to provide a link. I like the oriental theme and could create a story of a chinkman around it. Thanks in advance.

I looked on the new Sterling site, and it is not listed. Jumped over to Hocus-Pocus and it is not there as well. Must have been an Estate item.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5522 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 07:45, wmhegbli wrote:
Quote:

I looked on the new Sterling site, and it is not listed. Jumped over to Hocus-Pocus and it is not there as well. Must have been an Estate item.

Dragon Okito Box - The item is in short supply. Google "Dragon Okito Box" and you might find one.

[b]HERE[/b] it seems to be available (Italy, Europe - Price: €20.50).

Good Luck for finding one! Smile

Smile

Click here to view attached image.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Can it take an ex***ded s***l ....?
jhard
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
135 Posts

Profile of jhard
Please forgive my omission that it was an estate item on Hocus Pocus. Dumb of me. I was in too much of a hurry. Nevertheless. Ustaad correctly found a European site. Bob, "Doc",Dogget at Sales@magicstor.com, used to manufacture them. The boxes are out there and it may take some digging, but they are well worth it.
It will fit with an ex***ded s***l, a Fl***er, and a "$1.35". Once again, please forgive the omission.
Success to all.
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Thank you for the follow up jhard and thank you!
wmhegbli and Ustadd confirming the truth. Now I am on a scavenger hunt for this item.
In some ways this is part of the fun - The Hunt. besides I need another magic prop like I need a hole in the head as the saying goes.

Appreciate your time to answer!

And along side this search is also picking which 3" sponge ball vase all because of Charlie Frye dvd. dang it!
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Quote:
I like the oriental theme and could create a story of a chinkman around it.

Is it really 2011? I didn't know you hillbillys could use computers.
James
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5836 Posts

Profile of motown
John,

I have one of these as well and agree with every thing you've said.

It also makes a good container for Gypsy Thread if you do that effect.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hi Xiqual,
You get 10,000 social awareness points!
You called me on it because I wrote that on porpoise to see what are the sensitivities in 2011 and it is alive! Sorry for the
Btw, I'm an american born person of some asian descent, a banana if you will, yellow outside and white inside. - I guess that still is bad, huh?!
It was my faux pas to write that in tribute to Alexandra Wallace, but I fully digress. pay no attention to my last sentence rant.
ok, fun is over - nothing to see here, thank you officer.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
It's Chinese, and according to a friend of mine the words on the box are very appropriate to magic.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2011-03-26 21:47, motown wrote:
John,

I have one of these as well and agree with every thing you've said.

It also makes a good container for Gypsy Thread if you do that effect.

I almost posted with: "Oh, my...!", but decided to wait, thinking there might be something I was missing. Apparently not! Smile

I still remember the time I was most embarrassed for someone - a redneck (am I guilty here, too?) who felt he had waited too long for his Chinese fast food. After a complaint or two, he yelled back to the workers, "Chop, chop!"

I couldn't believe he actually said it.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
I had a dragon Okito box years ago. I don't know how but it was lost in a move and I really miss it. I wish I had seen the one on Hocus-Pocus. I hadn't thought about it in quite a while and got all excited thinking they were back. John was lucky to get a hold of it. I don't even think I want to know what you got it for.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible
www.MagicForAnyOccasion.com

Creator of Dough or No Dough & Show Me the Bunny.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4929 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I am a USA citizen living in Taiwan for 18 years. My wife is Taiwanese and we have four children. The funny thing is, they couldn't care less about the racial slurs. Just us yanks I suppose.

I remember going to a magic shop in California about 15 years ago. My wife and I ran into the owner and he started doing this derogatory Chinese
accent asking my wife questions. My wife's English is great but she has an accent. We both just stared at him, I was furious.

When we left the shop I said I could believe that guys nerve and she asked me what I meant? She thought he had a speech impediment!!!

I suppose I shpould lighten up on those people that are victims of "the slows"

James
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
[b]HERE[/b] it seems to be available (Italy, Europe - Price: €20.50).

Thanks for the link - I've bought one and hopefully it's winging its way to me as we speak. Smile
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
2535 Posts

Profile of tophatter
I just went & got mine out of the draw I bought it about 12 years ago It is very nice !
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Mine arrived today - lovely looking box and works well. If they came out with Boston and Slot versions, I'd be happy as a hog in heaven. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Dragon Okito Coin Box Review (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.6 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL